Jobless Rate

Which probably helps explain this article from WSJ.

A source in the talks laid out for us on Monday the increases that were part of the final White House offer before the talks led by Vice President Joe Biden broke down:

-$15 billion in new general spending that would come from the $30 billion expected to be raised from spectrum auctions;

-$8 billion to bail out the Post Office;

-$33 billion to extend Pell grants for college, as the money for the expanded grants under the stimulus runs out;

-$43 billion to extend unemployment benefits for another 99 weeks;

-$10 billion more for research at the National Institutes of Health;

Unemployment benefits extended for another 99 weeks? Sounds like someone knows that Summer of Recovery V 2.0 ain't happenin'.

Wicked, wicked times for the unemployed.

Linky:=> http://www.reuters.c...E7662I420110721

Wouldn't want to be looking for a job right now.

Me either, but I am.

Last figure for Miami unemployment was 13.7%. When you factor in the number of people who have just given up looking, it's estimated to be around 30%. Businesses are looking for ways to A) Not spend any money they don't absolutely have to spend unless there is a definable ROI, and B) Cut expenses whenever, wherever and however they can.

A OR B != jobs

In fairness, blaming Borders' job losses (almost half of the 23,000 announced) on the current economy and Obama is more than a little ridiculous, considering that Borders' executive team has been !@#$ing that company up for a good 15 years.

In fairness, blaming Borders' job losses (almost half of the 23,000 announced) on the current economy and Obama is more than a little ridiculous, considering that Borders' executive team has been !@#$ing that company up for a good 15 years.

Yeah, I know. I just thought Davidowitz was funny nontheless.

....and "In fairness"? It's politics Tom, there is no fairness in politics.

Dang, that almost sounded like Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own".

"And I'm saying it bluntly, that this administration is the greatest wet blanket to business, and progress and job creation in my lifetime. And I can prove it and I could spend the next three hours giving you examples of all of us in this market place that are frightened to death about all the new regulations, our healthcare costs escalate, regulations coming from left and right. A President that seems, that keeps using that word redistribution. Well, my customers and the companies that provide the vitality for the hospitality and restaurant industry, in the United States of America, they are frightened of this administration.And it makes you slow down and not invest your money. Everybody complains about how much money is on the side in America." Steve Wynn