Jets lose Kris Jenkins

I think the Jets are a fry cry from shriveled.

That said, assuming they were done, cooked, finished, out of cash, out of gas, off the rails and back to ground zero:

Would we as Bills fans accept the kind of flash in the pan team building The Jets exercised? To date, it's netted them two consecutive bids to the AFC Championship game.

I know we love the dream of building for longevity. But would we take a cheap thrill? If it didn't even result in a ticket to the big dance, but got us pretty damn close?

The Bills had a lot of cheap thrill/flash in the pan type success under TD. But he never built a core. If I'm not mistaken, the only starter we have left from his era is Lee Evans. (And maybe some special teams starters--I don't recall when Lindell or Moorman were signed.) TD left the Bills with no answer at quarterback, very little on the offensive line, and very little talent on defense not named Aaron Schobel.

It's critical for the Bills as an organization to reject not just flash in the pan results, but the quick fix mentality which leads to such results. Ralph Wilson needs to say, "It's either build for the long-term or nothing. The only thing I care about is this team's ability to acquire a solid core of talented players at key positions. If a general manger can't or won't do that, everything else he might achieve has precisely zero relevance." The Bills' commitment to building this core needs to be total. Flash in the pan measures intended to obscure the lack of a core should be avoided at all costs. The team should live and die by its core! This means that if the core isn't good enough to achieve a winning record, then we obviously need draft position more than a few extra flash in the pan wins. Anything and everything else should be sacrificed as necessary to build the core. If that means sitting through a 1-15 season to get Andrew Luck, so be it. A franchise quarterback is part of your core. A 1-15 season is the price of building that core, and no price is too much to pay if it helps your team improve its long-term core. None. :angry:

Once the core has been built--and only then--should the team allow itself to think in more short-term ways. If by building your core you have a team that's 80% good enough to win a Super Bowl, there's no shame in adding a few quick fix players to get that last 20%. But teams which start off by trying to add that quick fix 20%--because it's the easiest and quickest thing they can add--typically fail to build the necessary core.

Theres talk that, regardless of Cromartie, they'll only be able to keep either Holmes or Edwards as it is. Not both, and I highly doubt all 3.

If they do... I dunno... I guess then Bills fans need to see it is obvious that certain owners are serious about winning and we do not have one of them.

I look at all these teams that have multiple stars, with multiple big contracts, and wonder "Why dont/cant the Bills do that?". And I dont care about just going out in FA and signing names. It's both FA and keeping our own guys. The Vikings out bid us for Winfield and Pat Williams... and THEN signed Jared Allen... and THEN signed Brett Favre, TWICE. I dont get it. But thats for another thread...

Cromartie said he wouldn't be giving the Jets a discount, so the belief is he's gone, which is a big loss for them. Previously there was talk that they'd try and sign Asomugha, but with the lower cap and what is expected to be a $20M/year deal, that ain't happening either. And if they lose either Holmes or Edwards, it's also a big loss.

Pouha and rookie Wilkerson will fill in nicely. Jenkins did the Jets a favor by retiring so I don't know why people are bashing them. You forget that they still have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL along with a great secondary and good running game. This team goes through their running game and defense. Losing Jenkins or Edwards/Holmes won't hurt them at all.

Their number 1 priority is to get Brad Smith back

Cromartie said he wouldn't be giving the Jets a discount, so the belief is he's gone, which is a big loss for them. Previously there was talk that they'd try and sign Asomugha, but with the lower cap and what is expected to be a $20M/year deal, that ain't happening either. And if they lose either Holmes or Edwards, it's also a big loss.

How is losing Cromartie a big loss? They drafted Kyle Wilson last year and they prepared themselves for the loss of Cromartie.

They;ll most likely lose Edwards and keep Holmes. And how is this a major loss? Keeping just ONE will be great for them. You forget that they still have Cotchery who is a decent WR and an up and coming star TE in Dustin Keller.

Blowing this way out of proportion.

Theres talk that, regardless of Cromartie, they'll only be able to keep either Holmes or Edwards as it is. Not both, and I highly doubt all 3.

If they do... I dunno... I guess then Bills fans need to see it is obvious that certain owners are serious about winning and we do not have one of them.

I look at all these teams that have multiple stars, with multiple big contracts, and wonder "Why dont/cant the Bills do that?". And I dont care about just going out in FA and signing names. It's both FA and keeping our own guys. The Vikings out bid us for Winfield and Pat Williams... and THEN signed Jared Allen... and THEN signed Brett Favre, TWICE. I dont get it. But thats for another thread...

I don't think there is a Lombardi trophy sitting in the Metrodome, is there?

I don't think there is a Lombardi trophy sitting in the Metrodome, is there?

C'mon Steve you're missing the point and you know it.

DrD points out that a relatively small market team like the Vikings had no problem spending big bucks on big names. The Vikes also gave big money to Steve Hutchinson and Bryant McKinnie and Kevin Williams and Adrian Peterson and Matt Birk and who knows who else? They've spent A LOT of money on big name players.

Would you rather have a team which missed the playoffs for… 11 straight seasons (?) like the Bills or a team like the Vikes who've been a perennial contender of late? How many Lombardi Trophies do the Bills have?