in the market for a bike helmet....

The Poojer

bicycle, not motorcycle...have a mountain bike..never rode one before...been years/decades since i last rode a bike...is there any real difference between one at wal-mart and one at a sporting goods/bike shop? what features are important?

bicycle, not motorcycle...have a mountain bike..never rode one before...been years/decades since i last rode a bike...is there any real difference between one at wal-mart and one at a sporting goods/bike shop? what features are important?

Tell the truth...your "special" school's requiring them now...

its not the school thats mandating it...its the driver of my half bus.....damn B word.... :wallbash:

Tell the truth...your "special" school's requiring them now...

i am in pennsylvania...heck they don't need them on motorcycles....

My suggestion would be to not fall and go without one

i am in pennsylvania...heck they don't need them on motorcycles....

I believe in MD (or at least my county) you can be written up for riding without a bike helmet. Of course, you have to show your driver's license if they stop you for a traffic violation, which biking without a helmet is...so, essentially, you need a driver's license to ride a bike... :wallbash:

Pooj -

I never ride without one. Raod or mountain bike. At Wal-Mart you will find the lower end of the models, fit and adjustment will be limited. You are protecting the grey matter inside of your mellon. Is your 5-10 dollars saved worth your life?

some would argue that saving 5-10 bucks would be a bargain based on my grey matter...that's the kind of info i am looking for...i don't know enough to know what makes one helmet better than the next...

i should clarify...that that 5-10 savings would actually be a akin to me greatly ripping off walmart.... :wallbash:

Pooj -

I never ride without one. Raod or mountain bike. At Wal-Mart you will find the lower end of the models, fit and adjustment will be limited. You are protecting the grey matter inside of your mellon. Is your 5-10 dollars saved worth your life?

Edited by The Poojer

I'm in the same boat; looking for a helmet, as I want to ride on the roads a bit more (as opposed to trails). I was going to check some out at Target.

Don't need to fall hard to get injured. A guy in our Bills group is 55. He is in great shape and rides up a 3500 foot mountain in the area.Several years ago, He was near the parking lot and had to slow because of the people on the trail. He was going very slowly and fell over. He broke his femur! Was on crutches for several months but is oK and is riding again. Don't need to be going fast to get hurt.