Rochester Fast Ferry - Let's beat the dead horse again

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110720/NEWS01/107200333

"There's no question, the Canadians are coming, and they are spending enormous amounts of money," said Greg Marshall, senior vice president and director of marketing for VisitRochester, noting merchants seeing Canadians accounting for anywhere from 10 percent to 40 percent of their business. "The future looks incredibly bright. (And) we think a fast ferry or a ferry creates a top-of-mind awareness in the Canadian market that can't be replaced by anything else."

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

A ferry would work in this community, the last one was just way to freakin big. 150 passengers sounds about right. As long as it is a private venture and NO public money is involved what is there to lose? The terminal is already there. If Enterprise or another rental car place set up shop there it would be more convenient for our Canadian friends as we know they're not coming to Rochester in most cases but rather the Finger Lakes and other areas. I know I'd prefer to hop on a ferry and relax rather then deal with the QEW.

Edited by kegtapr

That last ferry wasn't all that fast, was it? I heard it took just as long as driving.

Yep, just about as long as driving, but as kegtapr pointed out, you avoid driving the QEW. I would have used the ferry if it was still there for the Bills games in Toronto.

Yep, just about as long as driving, but as kegtapr pointed out, you avoid driving the QEW. I would have used the ferry if it was still there for the Bills games in Toronto.

Yeah, I would take advantage of that type of thing by getting work done when I would take trains........So, there definitely is an advantage. I just don't think the word fast applies. I really thought it was supposed to be this big time saver, and when I heard it was the same time, I was shocked.

At least the guy proposing this seems to have a better idea than the old one. A much smaller boat (1/4 the size) for one thing. It won't carry cars. Lower price point.

And as a 'Sibley', he's got a family background in marketing & sales (Sibley's department stores) and transportation (the family started Western Union).

He's got to have buy in on the other side of the border to make it viable - it can't just be New Yorkers going to Toronto. If the new boat won't take cars then he's got to have cars available over here - you can't get anywhere from Charlotte without a car.

The good news - it will be 100% private. The news said he hoped if he could get everything set up it could be running next summer.

At least the guy proposing this seems to have a better idea than the old one. A much smaller boat (1/4 the size) for one thing. It won't carry cars. Lower price point.

That's friggin great. No cars, so Canadians and bumble around the streets of Rochester like zombies. AWESOME. I wish there were a way to invest in puts on Rochester.