Proof that we've witnessed a slow painful death

Hey, if you can't stop the run the big plays will take care of themselves.

The big plays given up stat is just as reliable an indicator as the tackles made stat. The uninitiated might look at that and think the Bills have a pretty good defense when nothing could be farther from the truth.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

That is why I'm all for drafting tough CB's and keeping Florence - I'm not at all convinced of our secondary until we are able to force teams to throw it consistently, and we can stop them despite their attempts. Too many times teams like New England would chip away at our defense, lining up and taking passing plays at will.

As for all that, I'd like to see us be able pressure the QB! Nothing disrupts a passing game like the jumpy QB's who know the heat is coming. Bruce Smith used to have that pleasant effect on opposing QB's. Even Schobel had some good times with Brady. We need a consistent sack man. Let's hope one of our young LB's has a little Clay Matthews in him, and maybe Dareus, Williams, and Troupe/Carrinton can force a lot of pressure on their own! I'm really psyched to see how disruptive Dareus can be after knowing that he played hurt most of last year, and that in his junior year he had more of the dominant, all around probowler type attributes, and that last season he seemed a little more run stuffer - but he performed better in the science show than Suh did, so I'm hoping he is going to be too much for single blocking assignments, especially after NFL training and conditioning. Add to that Williams needing double teamed, and someone should get open lanes.

"For teams that have built defenses to stop the big play, it takes consistent, strong fundamentals — a good pass rush, solid coverage and sure tackling — to succeed."

I don't get it...how did we make that list again?

"For teams that have built defenses to stop the big play, it takes consistent, strong fundamentals — a good pass rush, solid coverage and sure tackling — to succeed."

I don't get it...how did we make that list again?

Because Jauron built a secondary that was in the top 5 in 09, still in the top 10 in 2010.....he is still having nightmares of Brady to Moss....its why he kept drafting DB's

The Tampa two / cover 2 is designed to stop the big play, while sucking at stopping the run, aside from the fact the Bills have never had a decent WLB to defend against the run

Single gap defense ...but not many stay in their gaps, while everyone complains about Donte Whitner, he was the one making all the tackles that everyone whiffed on in front of him.

The Bills have been one dimensional in many areas over the last ten years, they fix one thing and neglect another.

Edited by Harvey lives