A way to counter China's financial tactics.

I was listening to the radio a few days ago, don't remember the show, don't know who, etc., it was quick...and they were talking about China purposely devaluing their currency, and yes, I have heard many people talking about going back to the gold standard etc. and I had an "uncertain"? idea. My finance background is average at best, passed the classes, etc. So, this idea may be stupid. No sweat off my back, I just thought it might be useful.

There is a concept in programming known as a pointer. When you store data, you can store it by value or by reference, by storing something that points to a value elsewhere. A pointer is the latter.

Why can't we, rather than attaching a direct value, or standard, to our currency use what I would call a pointer? A pointer that exposes and operates on China's devaluation tactics? Or, we use a series of pointers to determine the value, rather than just one, and apply some formula. This way, the more schit China pulls, the more they screw themselves....exactly like Chinese handcuffs. Rather than "storing a value", as in, rather than using a fixed value that everyone can clearly see and then apply their nonsense to, the value is based on a formula nobody knows, and of course can be changed? It's like the BCS! :D

Look, I don't know the jargon, and I frankly don't care. But there has to be some set of quantifiable #s/ratios/etc. that we can attach pointers to, and use them to define the value of our currency, that punishes both China, and Europe for that matter, for financial bad behavior. It would be even better if it rewarded them for good behavior, since I don't want to start a friggin war here....

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I was listening to the radio a few days ago, don't remember the show, don't know who, etc., it was quick...and they were talking about China purposely devaluing their currency, and yes, I have heard many people talking about going back to the gold standard etc. and I had an "uncertain"? idea. My finance background is average at best, passed the classes, etc. So, this idea may be stupid. No sweat off my back, I just thought it might be useful.

There is a concept in programming known as a pointer. When you store data, you can store it by value or by reference, by storing something that

Look, I don't know the jargon, and I frankly don't care. But there has to be some set of quantifiable #s/ratios/etc. that we can attach pointers to, and use them to define the value of our currency, that punishes both China, and Europe for that matter, for financial bad behavior. It would be even better if it rewarded them for good behavior, since I don't want to start a friggin war here....

what, and totally ignore the Euro?

what, and totally ignore the Euro?

I don't know...as I said.

What would be the effect of focusing on China and not on the Euro? I don't know.

That's why I posted it here. If you aren't a finance guy then skedaddle. If you are, then remember, I have no "position to defend" when it comes to lengthy financial discussions that go on here. I am curious what you think, and I certainly hold no pride in authorship of an idea that may easily be rejected as lunacy.

Edited by OCinBuffalo