Bills are a bargain to Erie County tax payers

The Oakland stadium deal apparently was also negotiated at roughly the same time as the one in Cincinatti, and was likewise bad for taxpayers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/us/15bcoakland.html

When you see the kind of sweetheart deals that NFL teams negotiated in an era of team relocations, it makes you wonder if the NFL will continue to be satisfied with the mere threat that some team will move to LA, or if they would prefer an actual relocation to help them ratchet up the pressure on other local governments for new stadiums or stadium improvements.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Everyone will say the Bengals are the bad guy, but you can be sure the local elected officials, their cohorts, benefactors, union bosses, etc. all profited handsomely in this deal.

Also noticed this:

Hamilton County voters overwhelmingly approved a half-percent sales tax increase in March 1996, paving the way for the pair of stadiums. In exchange, residents were promised a property-tax rollback and more funding for public schools.

So voters really believed that a 1/2 % county sales tax hike was going to pay for a) 2 new stadiums, b) offset lower property taxes and c) more funding for schools?? It's sad that so many are still so gullible when it comes to believing what politicians tell them.

What's up with the Erie County budget being so much higher than the other counties?

Exactly--Erie County (Buffalo) is a ghost town and yet they spend so much more than these counties?? There's less than a million people there! They spend almost a 2/3 less in St. Louis, and 1/6 as much in Cincy. What a mess.

Exactly--Erie County (Buffalo) is a ghost town and yet they spend so much more than these counties?? There's less than a million people there! They spend almost a 2/3 less in St. Louis, and 1/6 as much in Cincy. What a mess.

Welcome to life in a "blue" state.

Welcome to life in a "blue" state.

really, joe? C'mon, no need to make this any more political than the topic already is.

That said, the counties of New York actually carry a higher burden than counties in other states, as NYS requires the counties to cover a% of residents soical security, unemployment, and other entitlements. That explains some of the ridiculous budget, and the other part of it is that we have too many layers of corrupt government. However, that is hardly unique to NY as Hillsboro Co., FL according to the chart in the article has ~300,000 more people and spent ~$300million more in 09, and that is in a "red" state.

Living beyond our means has become the American way & i for applaud the Bills & owner Ralph for not putting the county or team in such a financial pickle (as our government's so frequently do) that they can abstain a financial down turn easier than say a (dumb a**) Dallas owner by building a !.3 Billion dollar facility just t stroke our own ego !!

Sure it would be great for the Bills to have a brand new stadium (& i would love a new Vet) but if it ain't broke & it don't need replacing (YET) & serves the purpose use it and plan for the day when it needs to be replaced instead of putting people along with there region in financial straights !!

I know this comment will by put down more than likely but before you do we might want to look at your check book & see where we stand before jumping on the soap box for a new stadium . Besides the Ralph has a lot of Bills history in it & is as much a part of the team as the fans it self !!

Go BILLS !!!!!

Living beyond our means has become the American way & i for applaud the Bills & owner Ralph for not putting the county or team in such a financial pickle (as our government's so frequently do) that they can abstain a financial down turn easier than say a (dumb a**) Dallas owner by building a !.3 Billion dollar facility just t stroke our own ego !!

Sure it would be great for the Bills to have a brand new stadium (& i would love a new Vet) but if it ain't broke & it don't need replacing (YET) & serves the purpose use it and plan for the day when it needs to be replaced instead of putting people along with there region in financial straights !!

I know this comment will by put down more than likely but before you do we might want to look at your check book & see where we stand before jumping on the soap box for a new stadium . Besides the Ralph has a lot of Bills history in it & is as much a part of the team as the fans it self !!

Go BILLS !!!!!

You are correct. There is no need for a new stadium at this time.

Go BILLS !!!!!

The Bills should do what they did in Kansas City and in Green Bay. Remodel. I hear that Arrowhead is amazing, same with Lambeau. The stadium bowl design in BFLO is one of the better Ive been to-great sight lines, no obstructed views, not too steep, etc...and it is large. They need to enclose the entire concourse and polish that up with restaurants, bars, kid zones, Bils HOF , gift shop , interactive zones and LED Tvs throughout..Could be really nice....and what would the cost be? A few hundred million I would imagine, but it beats a billion and would give them another solid 20 years there if not longer.

really, joe? C'mon, no need to make this any more political than the topic already is.

That said, the counties of New York actually carry a higher burden than counties in other states, as NYS requires the counties to cover a% of residents soical security, unemployment, and other entitlements. That explains some of the ridiculous budget, and the other part of it is that we have too many layers of corrupt government. However, that is hardly unique to NY as Hillsboro Co., FL according to the chart in the article has ~300,000 more people and spent ~$300million more in 09, and that is in a "red" state.

Hillsborough Co has 1.23 million people and spent about 300,000 less than Erie on 2010.

NYS counties do not pay for Social Security--those are federal programs. Medicaid does cost the counties in NY differently.

The Bills should do what they did in Kansas City and in Green Bay. Remodel. I hear that Arrowhead is amazing, same with Lambeau. The stadium bowl design in BFLO is one of the better Ive been to-great sight lines, no obstructed views, not too steep, etc...and it is large. They need to enclose the entire concourse and polish that up with restaurants, bars, kid zones, Bils HOF , gift shop , interactive zones and LED Tvs throughout..Could be really nice....and what would the cost be? A few hundred million I would imagine, but it beats a billion and would give them another solid 20 years there if not longer.

The Chiefs and Packers (and Steelers) went a step farther than other organizations and actually built team Halls of Fame, or in the Chiefs' case, a Hall of Honor.

http://chiefshallofhonor.com/virtual-tour

No question that the above three are TRULY great organizations.

Hillsborough Co has 1.23 million people and spent about 300,000 less than Erie on 2010.

NYS counties do not pay for Social Security--those are federal programs. Medicaid does cost the counties in NY differently.

i stand corrected on this one, but nonetheless my point remains that NYS does pawn off more financial responsiblity onto its county.