Electric eye in the sky, feel my stare, always there,

That was hysterical when I clicked on it. Doh!

worked earlier sorry

China’s rapidly expanding satellite programme could alter power dynamics in Asia and reduce the US military’s scope for operations in the region, according to new research.

Chinese reconnaissance satellites can now monitor targets for up to six hours a day, the World Security Institute, a Washington think-tank, has concluded in a new report. The People’s Liberation Army, which could only manage three hours of daily coverage just 18 months ago, is now nearly on a par with the US military in its ability to monitor fixed targets, according to the findings.

“Starting from almost no live surveillance capability 10 years ago, today the PLA has likely equalled the US’s ability to observe targets from space for some real-time operations,” two of the institute’s China researchers, Eric Hagt and Matthew Durnin, write in the Journal of Strategic Studies.

same topic

Edited by ....lybob

Yeah, I googled it. Thanks though. While this is sorta troubling because of the Dong Feng (what a name) missile, wake me when they get a carrier. Our Navy would roll theirs up in about a week tops and that is including travel time.

They're currently refitting the ex-Russian Varyag; last I heard it was to be operational by 2015. Which still means nothing - they'll still be twenty years away from being able to use it effectively. It's basically a Navy Cross and Presidential Unit Citation waiting to happen.

They're currently refitting the ex-Russian Varyag; last I heard it was to be operational by 2015. Which still means nothing - they'll still be twenty years away from being able to use it effectively. It's basically a Navy Cross and Presidential Unit Citation waiting to happen.

I think that never makes it past the testbed stage. Bolded - :lol:

I think that never makes it past the testbed stage. Bolded - :lol:

Varyag was well past "testbed" when the Chinese bought it. It'll work - it'll sail around real pretty, launch and recover planes, and generally make the Chinese proud and happy with themselves.

But good luck maintaining the air wing - maintenance of carrier aircraft is qualitatively different than land-based air. And good luck training up your pilots with no tradition or experience of carrier operations. And have fun figuring out how to integrate it into your operational fleet doctrine (which is evolving from brown- to blue-water while you're doing it) with no experience or body of knowledge to fall back on (even when the Soviets launched Varyag, it was their third generation of carrier - they had some clue.) And tactical doctrine? :lol: Good luck figuring out how to defend the platform - and not just coordinating CAP, but ASW tactics, too. There is SO much more to operating a carrier than just having it.

Hardly matters, anyway...they're not taking on their biggest trading partner any time soon. But if they do...well, that carrier's would make a real pretty reef.