What I think the new agreement will allow

The NFL is going to have to compress the between seasons player shakeups this year.

What I think they are going to do is the following. Times are from the announcment of the deal.

[1] A two week period for allowing teams to offer new contracts to their RFA's and newly UFA's. (these are guys who are now, with the new agreement into the UFA pool). Give the teams a )ance to resign their guys. No trades between teams are allowed.

[2] Ocurring concurrent with the above, the normal windows for signing drafted players.

[3] Occuring concurrent with the above, signing non drafted FA's.

[4] Occuring concurrent with the above, trading of signed players.

[5] Open season on trading UFA and RFA.

According to information gathered by Chris Mortensen and Adam Shefter, if a new CBA is ratified at the next owners meeting on July 21st, the new league year would start on July 28th and these would be the "transition rules" and their dates:

• July 1 (July 21): Educate the clubs on the news league rules and allow voluntary training for teams and agents.

• (July 25): Sign undrafted rookies, as well as give free agents a chance to re-sign with their teams.

• (July 28) -- League year starts and free agency begins.

• (Aug. 2) -- Rosters must be set at 90 players.

• (Aug. 3) -- Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

• (Aug. 7 ) -- A four-day match period for teams to match restricted free-agent offer sheets.

• (Aug 12) -- Deadline for rookies to sign contracts (not yet agreed upon).

• (Aug. 16) -- Signing period for restricted free agents ends, as does the signing period for franchise and transition tenders.

• (Aug. 29) -- Deadline for players to report to earned credit for an accrued season toward free agency.

Of the dates, the most significant is July 28, which would be the start of the league year and the multitude of roster moves that teams have been waiting for and planning for months.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6756301

So it looks like the 2011 'league season' will begin on July 28th, and the Bills training camp will likely open the very next day at St. John Fisher College - just as scheduled, on July 29th - likely with rookies reporting on Friday and veterans on Monday.

Nothing like an 11th hour deal - seems like so much drama when, in the backs of our minds, I think most folks figured it'd work out this way. Other than compacting free agency, rookie signings, etc., into a tight window, the season will go on as originally scheduled. I think we all knew there was too much money at stake for it to go any other way.

Anyway, less than 3 weeks to go, and it's...

19 and 0, baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!!! B-)

So it looks like the 2011 'league season' will begin on July 28th, and the Bills training camp will likely open the very next day at St. John Fisher College - just as scheduled, on July 29th - likely with rookies reporting on Friday and veterans on Monday.

Nothing like an 11th hour deal - seems like so much drama when, in the backs of our minds, I think most folks figured it'd work out this way. Other than compacting free agency, rookie signings, etc., into a tight window, the season will go on as originally scheduled. I think we all knew there was too much money at stake for it to go any other way.

Anyway, less than 3 weeks to go, and it's...

19 and 0, baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!!! B-)

AREED on the 11th hour deal part.