Free Agency Firestorm

This is going to be a very unusual free agency. There's a lot of speculation that all teams will be required to spend at least 90% of a record-high cap. And free agency is obviously starting late and will close quickly. Truckloads of money are going to be spent fast and furiously.

Anyone care to guess how this will play out for the Bills? Will we ink some mega-deals? Will Nix take a more conservative approach? Who might we sign?

(JW ~ if you're out there, I'd love to learn your opinion).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making sweeping generalizations about markets is ridiculous.

An unnamed GM who spoke with SI's Don Banks said:

"Because when you go back over the history of free agency, it rarely works out with the big-money guys. Just look at the last five years or so, with Albert Haynesworth, Joey Porter or Terrell Owens.”

Yeah no shyt moron. The thing is, only an idiot would have thought that those were good signings before they were made.

Big money should and will go to top talents that are still relatively young, and have zero character or injury concerns. Look for Zach Miller and Kevin Boss to rightly receive big paydays… likely becoming the top paid tight ends in the NFL. Barring an unforeseen injury, there is zero risk to signing guys like Miller and Boss.

You don't think either/both of them won't be worth more than the $9 million average that Lee Evans is getting?

Then there's another tier of players that are very talented and will still get big money but will be viewed as risks by many due to age/injury and/or character issues.

It's not that complex and it's not that hard to figure out which free agents will be good acquisitions and which won't, IMO.

Free agency success is much more predictable than draft pick success because the players have an NFL track record.

Case by case basis. It's not that complex.

theres an article on pft quoting a gm as basically saying dont just grab mega stars, its a deep year where you can add a ton of really talented core guys.... it sounded like it couldve been nix honestly.

Not nix...article said it was a long time GM, that's not nix

Not nix...article said it was a long time GM, that's not nix

Perhaps I misspoke in meaning it sounded as if something I'd expect out of his mouth.

Making sweeping generalizations about markets is ridiculous.

An unnamed GM who spoke with SI's Don Banks said:

"Because when you go back over the history of free agency, it rarely works out with the big-money guys. Just look at the last five years or so, with Albert Haynesworth, Joey Porter or Terrell Owens.”

Yeah no shyt moron. The thing is, only an idiot would have thought that those were good signings before they were made.

Big money should and will go to top talents that are still relatively young, and have zero character or injury concerns. Look for Zach Miller and Kevin Boss to rightly receive big paydays… likely becoming the top paid tight ends in the NFL. Barring an unforeseen injury, there is zero risk to signing guys like Miller and Boss.

You don't think either/both of them won't be worth more than the $9 million average that Lee Evans is getting?

Then there's another tier of players that are very talented and will still get big money but will be viewed as risks by many due to age/injury and/or character issues.

It's not that complex and it's not that hard to figure out which free agents will be good acquisitions and which won't, IMO.

Free agency success is much more predictable than draft pick success because the players have an NFL track record.

Case by case basis. It's not that complex.

The highest paid TE is 7m and change a year- I'd expect those guys in the 6 range, tops. A very affordable chance to get leadership, performance and turn a weakness to a strength. A better comparison is who do you sign, donte or miller.

Edited by NoSaint

The highest paid TE is 7m and change a year- I'd expect those guys in the 6 range, tops. A very affordable chance to get leadership, performance and turn a weakness to a strength.

We'll see. I'm pretty sure Zach Miller will become the highest paid tight end in the NFL and I think there's a chance that Boss will get a similar deal.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

It is my hope along with everyone else that they take this unique opportunity to address areas of definate weakness.......

OL

Tight End

Backup QB

possibly another linebacker?

What the Bills HAVE to address in FA is backup QB. They can live without OL and TE, but there is no experienced B/U QB on the team right now. Plus, the FO has said they will be adding one to the roster. I hope that they make B/U QB the top priority once FA opens up.

This is going to be a very unusual free agency. There's a lot of speculation that all teams will be required to spend at least 90% of a record-high cap. And free agency is obviously starting late and will close quickly. Truckloads of money are going to be spent fast and furiously.

Anyone care to guess how this will play out for the Bills? Will we ink some mega-deals? Will Nix take a more conservative approach? Who might we sign?

(JW ~ if you're out there, I'd love to learn your opinion).

looks like Kelsay will be getting another extension :worthy:

We'll see. I'm pretty sure Zach Miller will become the highest paid tight end in the NFL and I think there's a chance that Boss will get a similar deal.

Being highest paid TE for Miller or Boss won't will last just until teams with really good TEs (Witten, Gates) extend them to use up some of that cap space

looks like Kelsay will be getting another extension :worthy:

Being highest paid TE for Miller or Boss won't will last just until teams with really good TEs (Witten, Gates) extend them to use up some of that cap space

i could see miller being in that neighborhood of 7m, but there is a ton of TE talent out there right now, and it will be hard to be the highest paid guy at the position when there are multiple options available at a similar skill. even if miller hits the 7m mark those guys are at, its still a bargain position for the team to invest in. its not like most other positions that you have to crack 10m to get elite talent. i dont foresee him blowing the market for tightends and getting a 25% premium on the next highest guy on the list that the earlier referenced 9m would be. again though, if i had to choose between 7mill on whitner or 7 on miller i will take miller, especially on this squad which will have a much smaller gap in talent at safety.

I hope the Bills try to upgrade their depth and maybe seal a weak spot or two. But I think it will be a usual year in Bills free agency a couple of depth grabs and not much else.

Backup QB, LB Depth, and Resigning Poz and Florence will likely be a priority in free agency and maybe grabbing a tight end but not a top guy. If the Bills did that it wouldn't be a thrilling free agency but it would be at least what they needed to do.

I think in addition to resigning Poz and Florence and acquiring depth at LB and QB this team should really target Tight end and RT. Spend some big money to sure up the OL and give the offense another weapon. But its hard to see the Bills doing that.

The new CBA will likely force the Bills to alter their spending habits.

In what way? They have always spent 'to the cap'.

General question for everyone...

The OP is correct, there will be a firestorm of activity and I'm sure that the Bills and every other team have their shopping list ready. That will include parameters surrounding the deals (length, bonus, salary) that they intend to offer. Once things open up they will be contacting agents and giving them those parameters, and so will everyone else.

So...what's a team to do? Should the Bills be prepared to overpay the guy they have rated as their #1 target? You don't want to mess around here because time "will be of the essence." Once FA opens the Bills offer a monster deal to their #1 and put a short approval window in place for the player to accept or decline the offer.

Or...should the Bills make decent offers to their #s 1-3 players and sit back while other teams come calling?

Or...should the Bills go after tier 2 FAs with their best take it or leave it offer hoping that other teams focus on the top tier players?

ESPN is saying Free Agency will be very short according to the agreement on the table now...

"The Transition Rules spell out an actual timeline for roster transactions under the July 21 deal scenario, including the start of the new league year during which free agents would become eligible for the open market on July 28.

With the tight timeline, teams will be scrambling to fill rosters that must be set at 90 players on roughly Aug. 3 -- but all training camps would be able to open on time."

We'll only have about a week to sign FAs? Wow. Nix and Co. will need to move fast. Players will need to make quick decisions.

ESPN is saying Free Agency will be very short according to the agreement on the table now...

"The Transition Rules spell out an actual timeline for roster transactions under the July 21 deal scenario, including the start of the new league year during which free agents would become eligible for the open market on July 28.

With the tight timeline, teams will be scrambling to fill rosters that must be set at 90 players on roughly Aug. 3 -- but all training camps would be able to open on time."

We'll only have about a week to sign FAs? Wow. Nix and Co. will need to move fast. Players will need to make quick decisions.

Yeah, somebody give Nix a Wake-up call this year! :doh:

What the Bills HAVE to address in FA is backup QB. They can live without OL and TE, but there is no experienced B/U QB on the team right now. Plus, the FO has said they will be adding one to the roster. I hope that they make B/U QB the top priority once FA opens up.

Fish,

The only reason why I put OL before backup QB is that we have a legit chance to get a decent starter at the RT spot with a about 4 good ones on the market.

I like Hairston....but dont want to force him in at RT. A guy like Booth, Clabo, or Trueblood would look pretty good on our RT spot.

But hes.....we HAVE to get a backup QB. I am hopeing the bills already have identified a few players there.

Only a week? What's the big deal. The teams know who they want and what they are prepared to pay. The players and their agents already know what they are looking for and what teams are likely interested. So for this week instead of the players going golfing and getting around to answering their phones when they feel like it, they stay available to take the phone calls and make a decision. How hard is that? Look at the first FA day for the NHL not long ago, tons of deals done on the first day even, and many more the few days after that. Simple.

Forgive me if I don't understand, but any UFA can be signed at any time, outside this lockout. I don't understand the short window idea, minus you want guys into camp and such.... Am I missing something?