Man dies falling off ride at Darien Lake

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be rude but I don't remember the restraint system and it referenced his losing both legs and sustaining brain damage in Iraq- could this be a case of his body and the system being incompatible?

the restraint is a simple lap bar since there are no loops or inverts. this does seem to be some pretty bad judgement. although, you would think he'd be ok if he was holding the handles as well.

Not to be rude but I don't remember the restraint system and it referenced his losing both legs and sustaining brain damage in Iraq- could this be a case of his body and the system being incompatible?

This does seem to be the simple explanation.

a bit of an update: http://news.yahoo.com/questions-swirl-vet-falls-ny-coaster-213420471.html

"Here we have a situation where that individual has seen some pretty incredible things, I would imagine, and if I had to guess, was saying, 'I can ride this. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine.' And then you begin dealing with the forces of physics and it's a whole different situation," said Speigel, a past president of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, a trade association.

Ben Sobeck of Wellsville said he was with two friends on the Ride of Steel coaster a few seats behind Hackemer, who was riding with a college-age nephew, Ashton Luffred. The friends watched in horror as Hackemer was lifted from the seat and thrown as the car went over a hill after two big dips and some turns.

"It's bad to deny him to ride, but they should not have allowed him to ride," Sobeck, an Alfred State College student, told the Hornell Evening Tribune. "The ride holds you in by the shins and thighs and a seatbelt."

So they could have refused to let him ride and faced a discrimination lawsuit. Or now, since they let him ride, face a negligence lawsuit for letting a guy with no legs ride a ride requiring leg restraints.

And letting a legless guy ride a ride requiring leg restraints is crying for a negligence lawsuit.

So they could have refused to let him ride and faced a discrimination lawsuit. Or now, since they let him ride, face a negligence lawsuit for letting a guy with no legs ride a ride requiring leg restraints.

And letting a legless guy ride a ride requiring leg restraints is crying for a negligence lawsuit.

Lawyers made this country great and paying them will insure freedom for future generations.

I work with someone who is married to a sherriff's deputy who was on the scene. Here's a summary of what that person had to say:

It looks like they brought the guy up to the ride via the handicapped access ramp and helped him into the front seat. He made it past the 2 big hills/drops. At some point after that the guy's baseball hat blew off and it appears he may have reached up to grab it and that's what released his grip and got him elevated enough to be thrown out. He went over the front of the car, which then hit him at top speed. I guess the other people in the first few cars were covered in body parts. :sick: The ride operators, who had no idea what had happened, let the next train go through the ride.

I'm not sure on the physics of how someone would get thrown forward in that case unless it was just as the ride also hit some slow-down brakes or something.

I guess the other people in the first few cars were covered in body parts. :sick:

Let me apologize in advance for this...

Imagine how much worse that would have been if the guy had legs.

Really, though...that's just horrific. The "puke" smiley doesn't even begin to cover it.