If you could have exactly five Pro Bowl players . . .

If you were in charge of a team, and for whatever reason had the ability to obtain exactly five Pro Bowlers, which positions would they play?

My own preference would be to run a 3-4, and then have the following:

QB

LT

NT

RDE (3-4)

OLB (3-4)

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

QB

LT

CB

OLB (3-4)

NT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the other team has a Larry Fitzgerald or a Jerry Rice, your defense has four options. 1) Double cover him. 2) Single cover him with a shutdown CB like Antoine Winfield or Darrell Revis.

I agree with this entire post, other than the assertion that Antwoine Winfield is a "shut down corner." You might want to re-think that one and come up with a name such as Deion or Mel Blount. :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41522/antoine-winfields-full-repertoire-revealed

• He was not penalized last season, one of two cornerbacks with at least 1,000 snaps to do so.
  • PFF's film study revealed Winfield did not give up a touchdown last season, and the longest pass completed against him was 27 yards. Obviously there is some subjectivity to that analysis because only players and coaches know who was responsible for whom in coverage. Winfield allowed 7.8 yards per reception by this analysis, however, and on a relative scale the only cornerback with a lower figure was Asante Samuelof the Philadelphia Eagles. It's only fair to point out that Winfield's figure was skewed downward because of how often he lines up in the slot. The Vikings don't often match him up on the outside against speed receivers.

• Winfield blitzed 32 times, picking up two sacks, seven pressures and one fumble/touchdown return against the Eagles.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41522/antoine-winfields-full-repertoire-revealed

• He was not penalized last season, one of two cornerbacks with at least 1,000 snaps to do so.
  • PFF's film study revealed Winfield did not give up a touchdown last season, and the longest pass completed against him was 27 yards. Obviously there is some subjectivity to that analysis because only players and coaches know who was responsible for whom in coverage. Winfield allowed 7.8 yards per reception by this analysis, however, and on a relative scale the only cornerback with a lower figure was Asante Samuelof the Philadelphia Eagles. It's only fair to point out that Winfield's figure was skewed downward because of how often he lines up in the slot. The Vikings don't often match him up on the outside against speed receivers.

• Winfield blitzed 32 times, picking up two sacks, seven pressures and one fumble/touchdown return against the Eagles.

Good article! :thumbsup: One of the quotes which stood out to me was, "To that end, I thought Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus did an excellent job putting together a comprehensive analysis to demonstrate why and how Winfield is a special player. In describing him as the NFL's 'most complete' cornerback of the 2010 season, Monson noted . . . " 2010 was Winfield's twelfth year in the NFL, so to be playing at a high level this late in his career speaks volumes. For him to allow zero touchdowns over the course of the season, and nothing longer than 27 yards, is very impressive for a guy drafted back in 1999! :)

Reading all this makes me wish (again) that TD had chosen to keep Winfield here, instead of overspending for aging veterans like Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy. You can't build a good core if you let your successful draft picks go first-contract-and-out. :angry:

If "shut down CB" is too strong a phrase to describe Winfield, do you have any other suggestions to describe CBs in his category?

There are no other CBs in his category. The guy was relatively small but f'in amazing in run support. My favorite memory of him was a game where a very BIG rb caught a swing pass out of the backfield needing only a yard or two for a first down, and Winfield just blew the guy up, AFTER the rb turned and got up a north/south head of steam. The rb didn't get an inch after contact, and the first thing to hit the ground was his head.

He was also a really good cover guy, but never got many INTs because he had hands of stone. I was VERY sad to see him go.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Mel Kiper, but I think Mel described Aaron Williams, our 2nd round CB this year, as the highest rated run-support CB in the last 5 years - - or words to that effect. So let's hope he can become the second guy in Winfield's "category."

If you were in charge of a team, and for whatever reason had the ability to obtain exactly five Pro Bowlers, which positions would they play?

My own preference would be to run a 3-4, and then have the following:

QB

LT

NT

RDE (3-4)

OLB (3-4)

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Quarterback

Left Tackle

Center

Defensive End

Cornerback

You mentioned 3 safeties that can no longer stay healthy or change games. We would all love to have a killer safety, but you just can't play that particular position the way those guys have played it without your body breaking down ahead of schedule. Since their lucrative contract extensions they have fallen off both in health and impact.

I'll give you bob sanders, but Ed reed averaged a turnover a game last year. When going through the dominating teams this decade, right behind qb, a gamechanging safety was there much more often than shutdown corner. Turnover differential is vital to winning. Qb, pass rush and safety are the three keys in my head to winning that battle. I'm not saying it's a perfect equation but look ordinary a lot of those teams were when missing that one guy. Heck look what Darren sharper did for the 2010 saints too.

Greenbay might be the exception but other than injury replacements they seem to have all pros everywhere

It's only fair to point out that Winfield's figure was skewed downward because of how often he lines up in the slot. The Vikings don't often match him up on the outside against speed receivers.[size=3][/size]

[*]Winfield blitzed 32 times, picking up two sacks, seven pressures and one fumble/touchdown return against the Eagles.

[/font][/color]

That's because he can't cover them. He's a solid blitizer and defender against the run. But I would be paying my top CB to cover downfield against the best receivers. No one cares how hard Revis or Bailey (or Deion Sanders) can hit.

QB, TE, LB, WR, SS--essentially the Colts for like the past 5 years.

You mentioned 3 safeties that can no longer stay healthy or change games. We would all love to have a killer safety, but you just can't play that particular position the way those guys have played it without your body breaking down ahead of schedule. Since their lucrative contract extensions they have fallen off both in health and impact.

On a similar note, I read an article (of course I can't remember the source) where an anonymous pro scout discussed the safety position and how they do not take safeties in the top rounds of the draft. The view expressed was that safeties are built like DBs and play like LBs and too often have short careers. I think it may have been called Interviews With a Scout on some website that I cannot find now.

The article also advocated taking CBs in the top rounds due to the physical talent required and longevity of careers and frowned upon RBs at the top of the draft. Good RBs can be found in the 3rd round and now that teams need 2 or 3 the marginal value of the position has decreased. Interesting point of view as to how teams are built and draft value is maximized.

Sorry for straying from the topic.