Prisco's top 50 FAs...15. Paul Posluszny

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy if we got an offensive tackle and a TE out of the following:

7. Zach Miller, TE, Oakland Raiders: He led the Raiders with 60 catches last season despite missing time with a foot injury. He would put up even bigger numbers if the passing game around him was better.

10. Tyson Clabo, T, Atlanta Falcons: He's a tough-guy right tackle who makes up for his lack of athletic ability with a fighter's mentality. He uses all the tricks of the trade.

12. Jared Gaither, T, Baltimore Ravens: He missed the 2010 season, but he is a young, athletic tackle who is a good pass protector. The Ravens missed him last season.

13. Marshal Yanda, T, Baltimore Ravens: Yanda can play both guard and tackle, which will help his value. He played well at right tackle last season, but I think he can be a Pro Bowl guard. The money, though, is at tackle.

14. Doug Free, T, Dallas Cowboys: He took over as the starter at left tackle last season and was the Cowboys best lineman. Was it a one-year thing or a sign of things to come? The Cowboys want him back.

We gotta get a starting ROT from this bunch at least!!!

7. Zach Miller, TE, Oakland Raiders: He led the Raiders with 60 catches last season despite missing time with a foot injury. He would put up even bigger numbers if the passing game around him was better.

10. Tyson Clabo, T, Atlanta Falcons: He's a tough-guy right tackle who makes up for his lack of athletic ability with a fighter's mentality. He uses all the tricks of the trade.

12. Jared Gaither, T, Baltimore Ravens: He missed the 2010 season, but he is a young, athletic tackle who is a good pass protector. The Ravens missed him last season.

13. Marshal Yanda, T, Baltimore Ravens: Yanda can play both guard and tackle, which will help his value. He played well at right tackle last season, but I think he can be a Pro Bowl guard. The money, though, is at tackle.

14. Doug Free, T, Dallas Cowboys: He took over as the starter at left tackle last season and was the Cowboys best lineman. Was it a one-year thing or a sign of things to come? The Cowboys want him back.

Any of those guys would be great. That said, I'd be pretty happy if the Bills got:

| 41. Willie Colon, T, Pittsburgh Steelers: He missed all of the 2010 season with a torn Achilles tendon,

| but he played well in 2009. He has done a nice job as a pass protector while also improving

| as a run blocker.

Maybe he's not as good as the guys you mentioned, but he'd be good enough. Plus, with his last name being what it is, he'd be a logical addition to the Bills' OL on that basis alone.

There was another post saying how we need to finally get someone at RT - well, I think from the Front Office's perspective, we might already have a RT on the roster in Pears. Our line wasn't the worst in the league last year. Frankly, I think our LT position is just as vulnerable and weak as our RT position, and we are much, much thinner at LT than at RT. If Bell gets hurt again - we are in serious, serious trouble on the left side. Who would go in then? Wang? Levitre? That is why I think the F.A. tackle to pursue would be Jammal Brown. He could play either tackle position for us, and that kind of versatility would really help us out, because it is likely that Bell will miss some time this season.

Secondly, I think if you look at our offense as a whole, a TE is more of an urgent upgrade than O-line. I really hope we add a guy to each, because I think with a reliable O-line and a good TE we could have a top 10 offense. As it is, though, our O-line coming back, if healthy, has a decent set of tackles and a very good interior. Our backup guards are good enough to get a look at starting on some teams, so when healthy we can keep our QB from being sacked enough to get the job done (don't get me wrong, we need to keep getting better, until we have dominance), but our TE position is awful. We really, badly need a good TE in the mold of a Zack Miller or Green Bay's stud, or like Mercedes in Jacksonville.

If I'm Buffalo's Front Office, I go and get Zack Miller right away and just give him a little more than anyone else will, because it won't break the bank, and if we do get a rookie QB next year, he'll need that kind of a TE to be successful early.

As for Defense, I like our D-line group, and I think we have a good young core of linebackers in Coleman, Batten, Moats, White, and Maybin has this year to show if he can do anything. As vets we've got Poz (if he comes back), Davis, Kelsay, and Merriman. We don't know if Poz will be back, we don't know if Merriman will be able to play, and we don't know if Kelsay can improve... so I think we need another vet, someone who is coming into his prime, to help with the group. I'd be comfortable with Moats, Coleman, and two vets, until Batten and White can show what they've got, so I think we need another LB.

As for our secondary, if we don't bring back Florence we'll need to get a CB. I'd say just bring him back. We're good at safety, in my opinion, with Searcy, Byrd, Scott, and Wilson.

Any of those guys would be great. That said, I'd be pretty happy if the Bills got:

| 41. Willie Colon, T, Pittsburgh Steelers: He missed all of the 2010 season with a torn Achilles tendon,

| but he played well in 2009. He has done a nice job as a pass protector while also improving

| as a run blocker.

Maybe he's not as good as the guys you mentioned, but he'd be good enough.

Plus, with his last name being what it is, he'd be a logical addition to the Bills' OL on that basis alone.

Don't forget Jermon Bushrod… whenever he becomes a free agent we must pursue him.

In the meantime maybe Eric Pears could change the spelling of his last name to Pairs.

This says it all right here;

"When the free-agency window opens, hold on for a wild ride. Good teams, with good general managers, will strike early and often. Those not prepared will get left in the dust. "

I don't know why the FO insists on only building through the draft when all avenues should be used to improve the team. Low level scrubs don't count as using free agency, we need real talent or don't bother at all.

As far as Poz goes he would be a great player if he had some nasty in him and leveled opposing players instead grab and pull them down. I think we should keep him but wont be surprised if Chris White takes over in a couple of years. That kid is a killer and loves laying dudes out and is a great hidden gem we drafted.

LT Doug Free, RT Tyson Clabo ... do it Buddy.

"When the free-agency window opens, hold on for a wild ride. Good teams, with good general managers, will strike early and often. Those not prepared will get left in the dust. "

I don't know why the FO insists on only building through the draft when all avenues should be used to improve the team. Low level scrubs don't count as using free agency, we need real talent or don't bother at all.

As far as Poz goes he would be a great player if he had some nasty in him and leveled opposing players instead grab and pull them down. I think we should keep him but wont be surprised if Chris White takes over in a couple of years. That kid is a killer and loves laying dudes out and is a great hidden gem we drafted.

apparently you missed top 10 FA Dwan Edwards?

Scratch Free...Dallas can't afford to let him go and they'll overpay to keep him. I think either Gaither or Yanda could be had.

I've never understood how building through the draft translates into building exclusively through the draft. If you're a team that's won 10 games in 2 years, I'd expect them to use free agency to get the team to a level above where they've been. Teams should try to rebuild as quickly as possible, and efficiently using UFA is a means to an end. And I'm not talking about how Daniel Snyder approaches UFA. Buddy told RW that it'll take 3-4 years, which is what happens when you're not using all of your options and don't think fans care for those 3-4 seasons.

Hopefully free agency begins when Buddy's awake. Because if he goes out and says they signed a guy from someone's practice squad like Mansfield Wrotto and then claims that's like getting another 3rd round pick, they'll be a lot of unhappy Bills fans. UDFA's, street free agents, and other teams' practice squad types don't suffice when you're coming off a 4-12 season.

I've never understood how building through the draft translates into building exclusively through the draft. If you're a team that's won 10 games in 2 years, I'd expect them to use free agency to get the team to a level above where they've been. Teams should try to rebuild as quickly as possible, and efficiently using UFA is a means to an end. And I'm not talking about how Daniel Snyder approaches UFA. Buddy told RW that it'll take 3-4 years, which is what happens when you're not using all of your options and don't think fans care for those 3-4 seasons.

Hopefully free agency begins when Buddy's awake. Because if he goes out and says they signed a guy from someone's practice squad like Mansfield Wrotto and then claims that's like getting another 3rd round pick, they'll be a lot of unhappy Bills fans. UDFA's, street free agents, and other teams' practice squad types don't suffice when you're coming off a 4-12 season.

I disagree with the approach you are advocating. The Bills' plan (Buddy Nix) plan is to draft well and then retain your own players who were drafted and developed. That in itself is a departure from the constantly churning of players who you foolishly drafted and then let go when they demonstrated their limitations.

When Nix told Ralph that it was going to take 3-4 yrs he was being candid and realistic. When Buddy took over the Bills were essentialy the caliber of an expansion team. There is no quick fix when your roster is devoid of talent.

Being aggressive or not in free agency doesn't translate into success on the field unless the foundation of the team is built with a string of quality drafts. That is the standard recipe of success for teams such as the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Pats and Colts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that the Bills shouldn't participate in free agency. They should to a limited extent. Certainly adding a contributing TE and OL help would be beneficial. The strategy for success is predicated on how proficiently you draft. No matter how much you desire it the Bills will not be a good team next year in Buddy's second year of stewardship. But that doesn't mean that the foundation of future success isn't being built. It takes patience. There is no other way to do it.

<q>Billsvet saide: 've never understood how building through the draft translates into building exclusively through the draft. If you're a team that's won 10 games in 2 years, I'd expect them to use free agency to get the team to a level above where they've been. Teams should try to rebuild as quickly as possible, and efficiently using UFA is a means to an end. And I'm not talking about how Daniel Snyder approaches UFA. Buddy told RW that it'll take 3-4 years, which is what happens when you're not using all of your options and don't think fans care for those 3-4 seasons.

</q>

WTF!!??

Take a list at the roster and see how many players came to the Bills from somewhere else.

Active

# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College

FA 50 Ayodele, Akin LB 6-2 245 31 9 Purdue

drafted 57 Batten, Danny LB 6-4 250 23 R South Dakota State

UFA 77 Bell, Demetrius OL 6-5 307 27 2 Northwestern State

PC snatch 4 Brohm, Brian QB 6-3 223 25 1 Louisville

PC snatch 74 Brown, Colin OL 6-7 335 25 2 Missouri

"drafted" 10 Brown, Levi QB 6-4 225 24 R Troy

drafted 31 Byrd, Jairus S 5-10 200 24 2 Oregon

drafted 92 Carrington, Alex DE 6-5 284 24 R Arkansas State

PC snatch 30 Caulcrick, Jehuu FB 6-0 250 27 1 Michigan State

"drafted" 82 Caussin, Mike TE 6-5 252 24 R James Madison

PC snatch 84 Chandler, Scott TE 6-7 272 25 2 Iowa

drafted 59 Coleman, Antonio LB 6-1 248 24 R Auburn

drafted 27 Corner, Reggie CB 5-9 175 27 3 Akron

PC snatch 33 Corto, Jon S 6-1 220 26 3 Sacred Heart

drafted 99 Dareus, Marcell DT 6-3 319 21 R Alabama

UFA 54 Davis, Andra LB 6-1 251 32 9 Florida

drafted 81 Easley, Marcus WR 6-2 207 23 R Connecticut

UFA 98 Edwards, Dwan DE 6-3 290 30 6 Oregon State

drafted 56 Ellison, Keith LB 6-0 229 27 5 Oregon State

drafted 83 Evans, Lee WR 5-10 197 30 7 Wisconsin

UFA 14 Fitzpatrick, Ryan QB 6-2 225 28 5 Harvard

UFA 29 Florence, Drayton CB 6-0 195 30 8 Tuskegee

URF 25 Ganther, Quinton RB 5-9 220 26 5 Utah

drafted Hairston, Chris T 6-6 326 22 R Clemson

UFA 63 Hangartner, Geoff OL 6-5 301 29 6 Texas A&M

"drafted" 72 Heard, Kellen DT 6-6 355 25 R Memphis

PC snatch 68 Howard, Cordaro OL 6-4 314 24 R Georgia Tech

"drafted" 17 Hubbard, Paul WR 6-2 225 26 1 Wisconsin

"drafted" 15 Huggins, Felton WR 6-2 186 28 1 Southeastern Louisia

drafted 22 Jackson, Fred RB 6-1 215 30 4 Coe College

drafted Jasper, Michael DT 6-4 394 24 R Bethel College (Tenn.)

UFA 91 Johnson, Spencer DE 6-3 286 29 7 Auburn

drafted 13 Johnson, Steve WR 6-2 202 24 3 Kentucky

drafted 19 Jones, Donald WR 6-0 214 23 R Youngstown State

drafted 90 Kelsay, Chris LB 6-4 261 31 8 Nebraska

"drafted" 45 Kirlew, Jammie LB 6-3 260 24 R Indiana

drafted 67 Levitre, Andy OL 6-2 305 25 2 Oregon State

drafted 9 Lindell, Rian K 6-3 233 34 11 Washington State

PC snatch 80 Martin, David TE 6-4 265 32 10 Tennessee

drafted 58 Maybin, Aaron LB 6-4 250 23 2 Penn State

drafted 97 McCargo, John DE 6-2 307 27 5 NC State

drafted 24 McGee, Terrence CB 5-9 198 30 8 Northwestern State

ufa 38 McIntyre, Corey FB 6-0 245 32 6 West Virginia

drafted 21 McKelvin , Leodis CB 5-10 184 25 3 Troy

UFA 55 Merriman, Shawne LB 6-4 265 27 6 Maryland

drafted 52 Moats, Arthur LB 6-2 250 23 R James Madison

drafted 8 Moorman, Brian P 6-0 172 35 10 Pittsburg State

"drafted" 86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 217 24 R Florida

PC snatch 89 Nelson, Shawn TE 6-5 240 25 2 Southern Mississippi

drafted 11 Parrish, Roscoe WR 5-9 178 28 6 Miami

PC snatch 79 Pears, Erik OL 6-8 305 29 5 Colorado State

drafted 51 Posluszny, Paul LB 6-1 238 26 4 Penn State

PC snatch 76 Rinehart, Chad OL 6-5 307 26 3 Northern Iowa

drafted Rogers, Justin DB 5-11 180 23 R Richmond

drafted 18 Roosevelt, Naaman WR 6-0 189 23 R Buffalo

"drafted" 65 Sanborn, Garrison LS 6-1 253 25 2 Florida State

?? 43 Scott, Bryan S 6-1 219 30 8 Penn State

drafted Searcy, Da'Norris DB 5-11 223 22 R North Carolina

drafted Sheppard, Kelvin LB 6-2 250 23 R LSU

drafted 28 Spiller, C.J. RB 5-11 196 23 R Clemson

drafted 88 Stupar, Jonathan TE 6-3 254 26 2 Virginia

UFA 53 Torbor, Reggie LB 6-2 250 30 7 Auburn

drafted 96 Troup, Torell NT 6-3 315 23 R Central Florida

PC snatch 60 Urbik, Kraig OL 6-5 323 25 2 Wisconsin

drafted 71 Wang, Ed OL 6-5 301 24 R Virginia Tech

PC snatch 66 Watkins, Jason OL 6-6 325 26 1 Florida

drafted White, Chris LB 6-3 240 22 R Mississippi State

drafted White, Johnny RB 5-10 209 23 R North Carolina

drafted 20 Whitner, Donte S 5-10 208 25 5 Ohio State

drafted Williams, Aaron DB 6-0 204 21 R Texas

drafted 95 Williams, Kyle NT 6-1 306 28 5 LSU

drafted 37 Wilson, George S 6-0 212 30 5 Arkansas

drafted 70 Wood, Eric OL 6-4 315 25 2 Louisville

PC snatch 61 Wrotto, Mansfield OL 6-3 313 26 4 Georgia Tech

drafted 26 Youboty, Ashton CB 5-11 189 26 5 Ohio State

PC snatch is somebody who the Bills took off of somebody elses practice squad. The team draft a a couple hundred lower wound picks, and 50 or so hang on as PC guys. The Bills cherry picked the best of them and are trying them out. There are also a lot of UFA, good starting level guys (but not franchise level guys) they have picked up. The "drafted" guys were not drafted in the fist 7 round but the Bills found them and they were picked up and are on the roster. Explains our great WR depth and our last years RB depth. (other teams feasted on the good guys were picked up but were unable to retain).

I am not sure I got all the above right (1 second per listing) but I don't see how we are "planning on just living off of the draft". A couple of superstar free agents are not going to turn the Bills around right now. If you are expecting that, I don't think you are realistic. They have put themselves in a position to upgrade the quality of the fill-ins, get a <b>bunch</b> of canidates to compete where we don't have a lights-out starter (to me this is better than plucking out one veteran from somewhere and asuming he is the solution). They are doing everything they can....just don't expect immediate miracles.

apparently you missed top 10 FA Dwan Edwards?

What list are you looking at? Dwan is not on the list and he wont even start for us. Ray Edwards would be good but with this and last years draft heavily fortifying the D-line upgrading the O-line is more important

<q>Billsvet saide: 've never understood how building through the draft translates into building exclusively through the draft. If you're a team that's won 10 games in 2 years, I'd expect them to use free agency to get the team to a level above where they've been. Teams should try to rebuild as quickly as possible, and efficiently using UFA is a means to an end. And I'm not talking about how Daniel Snyder approaches UFA. Buddy told RW that it'll take 3-4 years, which is what happens when you're not using all of your options and don't think fans care for those 3-4 seasons.

</q>

WTF!!??

Take a list at the roster and see how many players came to the Bills from somewhere else.

Active

PC snatch is somebody who the Bills took off of somebody elses practice squad. The team draft a a couple hundred lower wound picks, and 50 or so hang on as PC guys. The Bills cherry picked the best of them and are trying them out. There are also a lot of UFA, good starting level guys (but not franchise level guys) they have picked up. The "drafted" guys were not drafted in the fist 7 round but the Bills found them and they were picked up and are on the roster. Explains our great WR depth and our last years RB depth. (other teams feasted on the good guys were picked up but were unable to retain).

I am not sure I got all the above right (1 second per listing) but I don't see how we are "planning on just living off of the draft". A couple of superstar free agents are not going to turn the Bills around right now. If you are expecting that, I don't think you are realistic. They have put themselves in a position to upgrade the quality of the fill-ins, get a <b>bunch</b> of canidates to compete where we don't have a lights-out starter (to me this is better than plucking out one veteran from somewhere and asuming he is the solution). They are doing everything they can....just don't expect immediate miracles.

We're talking about real free agents that are legitimate starters not stop gap guys that you pray will get better.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

</q>

WTF!!??

Active

Just FYI - there are a handful of mistakes in there. Nothing too offensive but I'd say you were wrong on about 10 guys. I'm on my phone or I'd just correct it.

Also I'm not sure about other teams feasting on our cuts.... Did we cut anyone that was even active for more than 2-3 games when teams were in dire need? Maybe I'm forgetting someone but outside the 2 runningbacks that I think played for about 8 different teams total last year no one even got signed, no?

Edited by NoSaint

I can't see how Poz is rated ahead of Whitner.

There was another post saying how we need to finally get someone at RT - well, I think from the Front Office's perspective, we might already have a RT on the roster in Pears. Our line wasn't the worst in the league last year. Frankly, I think our LT position is just as vulnerable and weak as our RT position, and we are much, much thinner at LT than at RT. If Bell gets hurt again - we are in serious, serious trouble on the left side. Who would go in then? Wang? Levitre? That is why I think the F.A. tackle to pursue would be Jammal Brown. He could play either tackle position for us, and that kind of versatility would really help us out, because it is likely that Bell will miss some time this season.

Secondly, I think if you look at our offense as a whole, a TE is more of an urgent upgrade than O-line. I really hope we add a guy to each, because I think with a reliable O-line and a good TE we could have a top 10 offense. As it is, though, our O-line coming back, if healthy, has a decent set of tackles and a very good interior. Our backup guards are good enough to get a look at starting on some teams, so when healthy we can keep our QB from being sacked enough to get the job done (don't get me wrong, we need to keep getting better, until we have dominance), but our TE position is awful. We really, badly need a good TE in the mold of a Zack Miller or Green Bay's stud, or like Mercedes in Jacksonville.

If I'm Buffalo's Front Office, I go and get Zack Miller right away and just give him a little more than anyone else will, because it won't break the bank, and if we do get a rookie QB next year, he'll need that kind of a TE to be successful early.

As for Defense, I like our D-line group, and I think we have a good young core of linebackers in Coleman, Batten, Moats, White, and Maybin has this year to show if he can do anything. As vets we've got Poz (if he comes back), Davis, Kelsay, and Merriman. We don't know if Poz will be back, we don't know if Merriman will be able to play, and we don't know if Kelsay can improve... so I think we need another vet, someone who is coming into his prime, to help with the group. I'd be comfortable with Moats, Coleman, and two vets, until Batten and White can show what they've got, so I think we need another LB.

As for our secondary, if we don't bring back Florence we'll need to get a CB. I'd say just bring him back. We're good at safety, in my opinion, with Searcy, Byrd, Scott, and Wilson.

I also would like to see a quality TE but I'm just not sure Gailey will use one even if we had one. The strength of this offense will be a 3, 4, or 5 wide set. That may incldue Spiller as a wide-out and Freddie at RB. We have too many decent options at WR and RB to spend money on a TE that might catch 15-25 balls all year. I would spend the money on a swing tackle as you suggested and resign Florence.

There is an additional aspect to this though...When all things are said and done and a labor deal is stuck, there will be a huge gap between the rich and poor teams and the poor teams will not be able to compete in that environment. The fact that there are less than 9 such teams means the league owners will be able to vote for whatever deal they strike and the Krafts and Jones will get what they want leaving the Browns and Wilsons as door mats...The Bills in this scenario will not be able to strike it against any of these top FAs...Something to keep in mind.

Poz and Drayton will be resigned, they will get Miller or nobody at all at TE (not much to choose from here), an offensive tackle (I'm hoping Clabo or Brown), and a backup QB in free agency as soon as it opens. I don't think Channix will ignore free agency but instead will try to get the best guys at positions of need that they can. I'm just not thrilled with who they have to pick from at all.