Wimbledon 2011 - Championship Sunday

ajzepp

5mi sounds about right...that was about my limit...5 sets would have been killer, although I would have gladly done it during one of our "challenge" matches within our club. There was a leader "ladder" for each age group and the highest I could ever get was 2nd. There was this kid who really wasn't that great, but he rarely made unforced errors. He almost always held the top spot. I played an aggressive power game that matched up well against his at times, but I could never quite get there. I'm a big believer in that sort of competition when you're growing up...it fosters good sportsmanship and also teaches you how to raise your game when it counts.

I totally did forget Nastase...and also Vitas Guerilitis (sp?)...that guy was nuts too lol. He and Johnny Mac were running mates, I think. Good times! :D

Oh yeah....Vitas. He looked like he was a speed freak....weighed about one nuthin.

Remember Roscoe Tanner? He's currently on the lam from the latest in a string of arrest warrants. Sad.

And how about Jimmy Arias from Grand Island?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah....Vitas. He looked like he was a speed freak....weighed about one nuthin.

Remember Roscoe Tanner? He's currently on the lam from the latest in a string of arrest warrants. Sad.

And how about Jimmy Arias from Grand Island?

Wow, I haven't heard Roscoe Tanner's name in forever...not sure I remember Jimmy Arias, though. You know your tennis, brother!

You went to the Flushing Meadows every year??? HOly crap, I"m jealous big time lol. I got to see the US Open in GOLF back when it was at Oak Hill in 1990 or whenever that was...but I would have loved going to see the tennis Open...as much as I love Wimbledon, the US Open matches at night are just awesome. That must have been a great scene back in the 80s...those of us who were watching the sport in those years really were fortunate.

I think we even went to Forest Hills once when it was still played there. Yeah, FM was a great environment. Like most sports, before the 'luxury box' era, tickets were not hard to get and not that expensive; we used to try to go during the middle weekend so there were still lots of matches going on and you could cruise the side courts and the stars would be starting to match up against better opponents. Back then sports viewing wasn't fashionable for bored corporate types so pretty much just fans went to games.

And it was before they built the monstrous stadium they have now (went there once, the top deck was awful). Funny now to see how tiny the 'Grandstand' (Court 2) was -- but they packed a ton of people in there and you were right on top of the court.

I totally agree about Gabby....although IIRC, Trump was hittin' it, so that sort of stains the image...but still, she was a major babe :thumbsup:

I really wish you hadn't told me that. :thumbdown:

I think we even went to Forest Hills once when it was still played there. Yeah, FM was a great environment. Like most sports, before the 'luxury box' era, tickets were not hard to get and not that expensive; we used to try to go during the middle weekend so there were still lots of matches going on and you could cruise the side courts and the stars would be starting to match up against better opponents. Back then sports viewing wasn't fashionable for bored corporate types so pretty much just fans went to games.

And it was before they built the monstrous stadium they have now (went there once, the top deck was awful). Funny now to see how tiny the 'Grandstand' (Court 2) was -- but they packed a ton of people in there and you were right on top of the court.

I really wish you hadn't told me that. :thumbdown:

:lol: :lol: Hey man, if I have to suffer with it, so do you! :lol:

Wow, I haven't heard Roscoe Tanner's name in forever...not sure I remember Jimmy Arias, though. You know your tennis, brother!

Even though Arias was from Grand Island, the commentators used to say he was from Buffalo. He played from 1980-1994. Never won any majors. Got to #5 once. He does occasional commentary for tennis and smacks around Pauly Shore.

Even though Arias was from Grand Island, the commentators used to say he was from Buffalo. He played from 1980-1994. Never won any majors. Got to #5 once. He does occasional commentary for tennis and smacks around Pauly Shore.

Wow, he was #5 in the world? I can't believe I don't remember the guy.

Congrats to Djokovic...Nadal was not himself at all today, but Novak was all over the court like a crazy person. He's definitely earned his #1 ranking and I love the fact that he and Nadal are the best in the game right now. I wanted Rafa to win, but he'll be back. He just needs to take better care of himself so that he's at 100% in these tourneys. He rarely makes that many unforced errors, especially when it's all on the line, but Djokovic still earned the win and the championship.

Congrats to Djokovic...Nadal was not himself at all today, but Novak was all over the court like a crazy person. He's definitely earned his #1 ranking and I love the fact that he and Nadal are the best in the game right now. I wanted Rafa to win, but he'll be back. He just needs to take better care of himself so that he's at 100% in these tourneys. He rarely makes that many unforced errors, especially when it's all on the line, but Djokovic still earned the win and the championship.

Didn't get to see the match. Can't say I would go out of my way to watch either guy. I know they're two of the best in men's tennis right now, but I dunno....there's something missing.

Didn't get to see the match. Can't say I would go out of my way to watch either guy. I know they're two of the best in men's tennis right now, but I dunno....there's something missing.

I hear ya...I often feel the same way. One thing I'm really glad about was that the Wimbledon folks changed the grass recently according to an article I read. It was so fast previously that the points rarely were more than three hits. With the racquet technology being what it is, and the significant increase in power, it was important to slow things down just a bit and they did just that. It was pretty evident watching the tourney this year and I think it's clearly an improvement. I'm sort of biased, though, because I prefer watching a battle of ground strokes as opposed to a strict serve and volley type of match.

I'm looking forward to the US Open next month :thumbsup:

Yeah, Nadal just wasn't firing on all cylinders. I don''t know if his left foot injury from the Del Potro match was still bothering him.... Or it may have been that Djokovich was just that fast on the court. He was chasing down stuff that would beat most anybody else, which forced Nadal to go a little wider/into a different style of play and likely contributed a lot to the errors. I'm glad that Nadal came back to win that third set to push the match a little longer, straight sets in under an hour and a half would've been disappointing after all the great finals from Wimbledon the past several years.

Anyway, the word today is that Wimbledon is leaving NBC for ESPN. :( I hope they keep the broadcast team because it's top-notch. But yeah, it kind of sucks for antenna-only people like myself; broadcast variety decreases a little bit more. Things are pushing more and more to cable (which I just refuse to pay for without channel choice/a-la-carte pricing) and the Internet. I really hope ESPN3.com continues to air these kind of events as they've been doing. And it may not be such a bad thing, after all. NBC's coverage selection (all Venus and Serena, all the time) is tuned on the assumption that Americans only want to watch Americans. As such, I caught several matches on ESPN3.com that NBC either decided not to show or cut away from in their 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. "broadcasting window" last week. And the !@#$ move to not show the semifinals live on Thurs./Fri. morning, and anybody who reads Google News or has a sports RSS feed gets spoilers. So in some respects, the move is an answer to the way that NBC has treated Wimbledon for quite some time now.

Edited by UConn James

Yeah, Nadal just wasn't firing on all cylinders. I don''t know if his left foot injury from the Del Potro match was still bothering him.... Or it may have been that Djokovich was just that fast on the court. He was chasing down stuff that would beat most anybody else, which forced Nadal to go a little wider/into a different style of play and likely contributed a lot to the errors. I'm glad that Nadal came back to win that third set to push the match a little longer, straight sets in under an hour and a half would've been disappointing after all the great finals from Wimbledon the past several years.

Anyway, the word today is that Wimbledon is leaving NBC for ESPN. :( I hope they keep the broadcast team because it's top-notch. But yeah, it kind of sucks for antenna-only people like myself; broadcast variety decreases a little bit more. Things are pushing more and more to cable (which I just refuse to pay for without channel choice/a-la-carte pricing) and the Internet. I really hope ESPN3.com continues to air these kind of events as they've been doing. And it may not be such a bad thing, after all. NBC's coverage selection (all Venus and Serena, all the time) is tuned on the assumption that Americans only want to watch Americans. As such, I caught several matches on ESPN3.com that NBC either decided not to show or cut away from in their 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. "broadcasting window" last week. And the !@#$ move to not show the semifinals live on Thurs./Fri. morning, and anybody who reads Google News or has a sports RSS feed gets spoilers. So in some respects, the move is an answer to the way that NBC has treated Wimbledon for quite some time now.

Wow, that is really sad! I've been watching Wimbledon on NBC since I was a kid :( I love ESPN, but I would have rather just kept it where it was. I guess the ratings must not have been stellar if NBC allowed themselves to be outbid. You'd have to think they could have kept the tourney if they really wanted to, no?

And I think you're 100% right about the Del Potro match. That guy had some mad game and he really pushed Nadal.

I hear ya...I often feel the same way. One thing I'm really glad about was that the Wimbledon folks changed the grass recently according to an article I read. It was so fast previously that the points rarely were more than three hits. With the racquet technology being what it is, and the significant increase in power, it was important to slow things down just a bit and they did just that. It was pretty evident watching the tourney this year and I think it's clearly an improvement. I'm sort of biased, though, because I prefer watching a battle of ground strokes as opposed to a strict serve and volley type of match.

I'm looking forward to the US Open next month :thumbsup:

Matches between serve & volley players and baseliners are still my favorite. Irresistible force VS immovable object. You basically had to hit a drop shot to get my ass to the net.

Matches between serve & volley players and baseliners are still my favorite. Irresistible force VS immovable object. You basically had to hit a drop shot to get my ass to the net.

That reminds me of the Ivanicevic (sp?) vs Agassi match at Wimbledon when Andre won the championship. Goran was just KILLING it with the serve, but Andre hung in there making several clutch returns and pounding Goran with superior ground strokes. You're right, when you get the serve and volley player vs the baseliner, it is sort of like the irresistible force vs the immovable object :thumbsup:

My best shot was an inside out forehand. I used to love setting someone up for that shot with some deep ground strokes that kept them on the run, and then just at the right time I'd paint the line with the forehand. For some reason that was the one shot I rarely erred on. I just had some weird talent that allowed me to hit it nearly perfectly every time.

I still love the fact that this game is just you against the other guy. There's no team, no excuses, just you and your game vs him and his. :thumbsup:

Edited by ajzepp

I like to watch a good mix of both skills. Or at least a little bit of one or the other. I appreciate seeing good skilled volleying. When I play I pretty much bring my tent and firewoood and camp at the net. Well placed lobs hurt tho :0

That reminds me of the Ivanicevic (sp?) vs Agassi match at Wimbledon when Andre won the championship. Goran was just KILLING it with the serve, but Andre hung in there making several clutch returns and pounding Goran with superior ground strokes. You're right, when you get the serve and volley player vs the baseliner, it is sort of like the irresistible force vs the immovable object :thumbsup:

My best shot was an inside out forehand. I used to love setting someone up for that shot with some deep ground strokes that kept them on the run, and then just at the right time I'd paint the line with the forehand. For some reason that was the one shot I rarely erred on. I just had some weird talent that allowed me to hit it nearly perfectly every time.

I still love the fact that this game is just you against the other guy. There's no team, no excuses, just you and your game vs him and his. :thumbsup:

Amen zepp. Probe & find your opponent's weakness and then pound the crap out of it.

I used to practice occasionally next to Chris Evert at Holiday Park in Fort Lauderdale. Met & talked to her a couple of times. Super lady.

Played doubles once against Dan Rowan of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. We were told to let Dan win.

We didn't.

I like to watch a good mix of both skills. Or at least a little bit of one or the other. I appreciate seeing good skilled volleying. When I play I pretty much bring my tent and firewoood and camp at the net. Well placed lobs hurt tho :0

Love playing against you guys!

Amen zepp. Probe & find your opponent's weakness and then pound the crap out of it.

I used to practice occasionally next to Chris Evert at Holiday Park in Fort Lauderdale. Met & talked to her a couple of times. Super lady.

Played doubles once against Dan Rowan of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. We were told to let Dan win.

We didn't.

Wow, that's awesome! She's one of my all-time favorite players. Call me crazy, but I actually thought she was a hottie back in the day...and the fact that she always seemed like she had such a big heart really made an impression on me as a kid.

Man, it's great talking about this stuff...I sometimes forget how important this sport was to me throughout my life, and also how much of a fan I was growing up.

Playing at the net is my favorite spot as well! That's why I like to play doubles too cause you get a lot of net time! :thumbsup: Oh man, I wanna play! Watching Wimbledon always gets me fired up to play tennis again.

BTW, I can kick AJ ass in tennis. :nana:

Playing at the net is my favorite spot as well! That's why I like to play doubles too cause you get a lot of net time! :thumbsup: Oh man, I wanna play! Watching Wimbledon always gets me fired up to play tennis again.

BTW, I can kick AJ ass in tennis. :nana:

PFFFFFT!!!!!!

Wow, that's awesome! She's one of my all-time favorite players. Call me crazy, but I actually thought she was a hottie back in the day...and the fact that she always seemed like she had such a big heart really made an impression on me as a kid.

Man, it's great talking about this stuff...I sometimes forget how important this sport was to me throughout my life, and also how much of a fan I was growing up.

She was a hottie. Still looks good on TV, too. Just a real, down to earth person.

DrFishfinder, I agree with ajzepp. That's just really awesome you got to hang with her.

I wouldn't put it in the "hang" category, exactly. Wish I could.

I was disappointed that Rafa did not win it. Djoko has improved his game a lot. Given his dominance overr Rafa this year, if Rafa is to win another slam he has to solve Djoko's game. Johnny Mc seemed to think that the uncharacteristic number of errors from Rafa were induced by the way Djoko was playing. I was hoping it would go to five and see how both hold up. I think Rafa's temperament complements his game a lot and which is why he has won double digit Grand Slam tournaments.