Terry Pegula

Like Ralph, if all Pegs does is keep the Sabres in Buffalo, I'll be thankful/grateful. And while the moves he's made look good, unless they start winning, it's little more than what Dan Snyder (like Pegs, a fan who amassed enough money to buy his favorite team) has done with the Redskins.

Exactly. It really is amazing how some folks seem to want to chose a side (pro or anti Mr. Ralph, pro or anti Pwgula or pro or anti Flurie, and then choose to pretend that the better things they did are meaningless because they did not do everything (or that somehow the poor things they did do not exist.

The bottomline strikes me as this.

Yes, DF never proved to be a winner in the big picture in the NFL. However, this truth does not invalidate his tremendous achievements in other lesser but still serious parts of the game. His TD thrown against Miami remains one of the best plays ever in college football and though others were essential to it happening, and dumb luck played a key role his play style, abilities and talent were the lead essential ingredient in this collegiate triumph. Likewise rational judgments of the failings of the CFL vs. the NFL are quite true but he consistently dominated the results in this lesser league in a manner which reality must judge to be singular.

Finally, he did all this despite being a midget and having a son with severe autism

Is everything?

Nope.

Is he anything?

Yep!

Based on his accomplishments I am darned impressed (and I am confident in saying that only a hard-hearted simpleton would claim his achievements can be dismissed.

Pegula is spending a ton of bucks (which he has since he cleverly sold out a bunch of POTENTIAL oil wells to those interested in hydrofracking (interestingly a recent in depth report in the NYT indicates that getting oil out of shale is turning out in terms of production to be quite a bit more expensive and less productive that the early thoughts which brought Pegula so much wealth, but who cares as a hockey fan since he has the cash and is out of Dodge with the loot unless this turns out to be some Ponzi scheme he knew about,

At any rate, rationality says he is buying players who based on their previous performances should add some goal scoring to a team which has achieved a bit (though not enough for most of us) due to solid goaltending and gritty toughness behind the mostly beloved Lindy Ruff.

However, he has yet to own the team for a full season yet, a conclusions either pro or con Pegula are simply premature and probably stupid.

As far as Mr. Ralph.

He deserves the credit he has gotten for purchasing the Bills for a song and hanging on to it. Whether he was forced to or not because the AFL would not allow a team to be set-up in direct competition with the Lions, he played an essential role in bringing and keeping the team we love here in Buffalo,

BUT

blame who you want to blame for doing a bad job be it Jauron, Narv, TD, Wade, Butler, whoever,

There us is one man who would be geing credit he probably does not deserve if we won some SBs.

Instead he gets blame (which he does not deserve alone) for his team generating pathetic results over the last decade plusl

Mr. Ralph is responsible not simply for undespending (I think this is a bum rap as a lot of spending levels are mandated under the CBA) but for simply making bad football judgments repeatedly when he and his team did.

Only he can be blamed for the bad football judgment about how much Jimbo had left (whicb started a repeated series of miscues as we search for a new Jimbo.

Even he escapes direct blame, the buck MUST stop with him as he made direct choices to hire the GMs and HCs who not only failed but repetitively have toxic relationships with Ralph.

The problem is not that he is a cheapskate, the problem is he makes bad football judgments routinely or hires people not competent to make them for him.

Thems the fair and balanced facts.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Galosano sold the team to Pegula he put in the sell contract a clause that would prohibit the team from be moved if he decided to sell the franchise sometime down the road.

Do you have a link for that JC? I only heard that Golisano eschewed an offer for $80M more than what he got from Pegula because the other owner(s) wanted to move the team out of Buffalo.

Stand by to be beaten up on your opinion of Miller..

P.S. I couldn't agree more!:flirt:

Thanks for the support here. I know your a smart man. If Miller was so good as people claim then why the hell were we out of the playoffs u til very late in the season this past year? And after Enroth saved us I might add. Miller is a choke artist without tons of talent around him. Why couldn't we beat the Sens during the pres trophy year? Miller. Why didn't we beat the Flyers this season? Miller. Why didn't we beat the Hurricanes when most of our defense (my point about him not getting it done without tons of help) went down? Miller. He's a joke. He needs an all-star team to get it done. People gave him all this praise cuz he got it done in the Olympics. WITH AN OLYMPIC CALIBER TEAM!!!!!!! It's not hard to figure out. But that ship has sailed now. We will never get anything of major value for him. I really think the team is headed into the right direction now. And with some big moves in FA and some guys getting better I think they will help Miller enough to succeed enough to win a cup here in Buffalo. But to the one poster that talked about how it's a different regime now you can say the same about the Bills. There is a new GM. New Coach. New position coaches. Personally I think both teams are turning things around. It's only a matter of time before we have 2 playoff caliber teams in the city and then we will really see who the bigger draw is. And for the record, I've never had a 200 level ticket cost any less than $150 at a Sabres game while my tickets to the Bills are 14 rows up from the field and I don't pay more than $50 a ticket. It's less $ in food and beer. Parking is a wash. Except you actually have a good time at a Bills game and like I said, Sabres games are for the ritzy cheese and wine crowd and feel lime I'm at a sales meeting.

When Galosano sold the team to Pegula he put in the sell contract a clause that would prohibit the team from be moved if he decided to sell the franchise sometime down the road.

There is a big difference between Pegula and Snyder. While Snyder got involved in making fantasy football free agency acquisitions Pegula is not doing that. The hockey staff is making the personnel decisions. What Pegula is doing is creating an environment where they have more room to maneuver and make personnel decisions. Ultimately, the hockey staff will be held accountable without having any excuses of undo limitations imposed upon them.

Agreed. Pegula is the best kind of manager/owner. He basically went to the hockey department and said, "What tools do you need to make this team better? Get what you feel we need and send me the bill."

Stand by to be beaten up on your opinion of Miller..

P.S. I couldn't agree more!:flirt:

With your obviously unlimited hockey wisdom, why don't you enlighten us again on how you think the vezina is simply awarded to the goalie with the lowest GAA. :wallbash:

Agreed. Pegula is the best kind of manager/owner. He basically went to the hockey department and said, "What tools do you need to make this team better? Get what you feel we need and send me the bill."

With your obviously unlimited hockey wisdom, why don't you enlighten us again on how you think the vezina is simply awarded to the goalie with the lowest GAA. :wallbash:

Well, it just is. Especially so when no goalie has a superb, stand out season. If, by chance, your unlimited hockey wisdom is remotely accurate, then we/the Sabres should have no problem trading this Top 5 NHLer for Crosby or Ovi straight up. eh?

Excellent news! I figured Pegula wouldn't move it anyway, but now it's in writing.

I don't know if a similar move would be allowed in the NFL. Something tells me it wouldn't.

I can't imagine it would be allowed. Who would buy the team with that shackle on it?

Peg seems great so far, I hope he can and will buy the Bills when the time arrives. Seems to be really interested in having a successful team that is built to win the cup (the moves he has made so far look good on paper and from a PR standpoint, which is good).

I think the mechanics of it are different in football, RW could have been a better owner (although I am glad the Bills are still there and appreciate that they have had some successes in the past thanks to him). Hopefully he realizes it now and we actually do have the right people in the FO to make things happen, I am kind of still reserving judgement on that for now.

About the building the team through FA, it works different in hockey and really what DS did in Wash was fool hardly.

Save some money for the Sabres' future cap. A 10-year $40M deal for a 29-year old player?

Perhaps you missed the signing of an hour ago? Ville Leino at six years for $27 million. And the rumor is that Terry is on his way to Dallas to talk to Richards still. This is madness. I love it.