Article on FA TE's

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/28008/free-agency-in-the-east-tight-ends

Not a bad little summary.

I want a Tight end who's at least a good to very good blocker and good to very good receiver. I'd rather have that then one who's just a very good/elite receiver. From what I understand, an elite receiving TE comes at the expense of the receiving corp as there are still only so many balls being thrown per game. I think we have a good young set of receivers. For the first time in a long time I really like them and have high expectations of them getting better.

We also have a much harder time protecting our QB. Fitz does a good job helping them out, but the OL is still not a strength of our team. So I'd rather have help with a very good blocking TE who can also relieve pressure by making the defense account for his receiving skills as well.

To me, Boss or Miller fit that description well.

Here's a description of Miller from year before:

Unlike many catch-first tight ends, Miller relishes the opportunity to block. He said the reason why he spends time on the blocking aspect of his game is simple.

"You can't be an elite tight end unless you block," Miller said. "I see a lot of tight ends with great hands, but they won't want to block. That won't work here. We run the ball a lot in Oakland. You have to know how to block."

A former offensive line coach, Cable bursts with pride when talking about Miller's blocking chops.

"That's what makes Zach so special because he isn't afraid to help in the blocking game," Cable said. "He understands blocking. He's understands the entire game."

That's what I want. No more one dimensional TE's please.

I would like a Hernandez type of TE like NE has. I am not worried about taking catches away from our WR corps because I do not see the same as everyone else...they are not as experienced and capable as many would like to believe.

220# receivers running the underneath routes are the same as a TE. ;)

Still don't think Nix will invest serious money into a position that Gailey believes is for blocking first, second and third. Besides, block first TE's are much cheaper and they already have a wealth of talent at the position in David Martin, Scott Chandler, Mike Caussin, and Shawn Nelson.

220# receivers running the underneath routes are the same as a TE. ;)

Still don't think Nix will invest serious money into a position that Gailey believes is for blocking first, second and third. Besides, block first TE's are much cheaper and they already have a wealth of talent at the position in David Martin, Scott Chandler, Mike Caussin, and Shawn Nelson.

If you really want a decent offense you need a TE who can block and catch- otherwise you are like the Bills who basically play with three offensive players with two extra blockers FB,TE and when you put in Nelson your saying we are going to pass for sure don't even worry about a run- if you really just care about blocking you might as well make 330lb Colin Brown a TE (at least he was Basketball player) and have Jasper at FB.

If you really want a decent offense you need a TE who can block and catch- otherwise you are like the Bills who basically play with three offensive players with two extra blockers FB,TE and when you put in Nelson your saying we are going to pass for sure don't even worry about a run- if you really just care about blocking you might as well make 330lb Colin Brown a TE (at least he was Basketball player) and have Jasper at FB.

would love to see those guys in the backfield :D (although if we aren't going to use a complete TE putting an OT in there would be the way to go.)

Kevin Boss would be nothing less than a perfect fit for this football team. His teammates named him "6'7" Kevin."

Boss would walk onto the field and improve run blocking and pass protection. And, he is a clutch receiver. A throwback type to Pete Metz.

Combine Boss, a RT (hopefully Trueblood), and Gailey, and the Bills just might have a credible offense. One thing I do know is that with those two, the Bills would not be losing 12 games.

Of course I am dreaming, but it is a pleasant dream indeed.

With the talent available and as much initial chip-block help as our OTs need, it will be shameful if Nix & Co. don't at least bid for TE.

Perhaps the reason Gailey doesn't use the TE is because he never had one worth a bucket of warm spit.

Kevin Boss would be nothing less than a perfect fit for this football team. His teammates named him "6'7" Kevin."

Boss would walk onto the field and improve run blocking and pass protection. And, he is a clutch receiver. A throwback type to Pete Metz.

Combine Boss, a RT (hopefully Trueblood), and Gailey, and the Bills just might have a credible offense. One thing I do know is that with those two, the Bills would not be losing 12 games.

Hey, I agree. And this is the time of year to be optimistic! (now I just need my Pens to sign Jagr, who I fear is headed to Det).

I like your dream as well!

I hope Bill is right and I kind of think the FO passed on TE back up QB and RT (well not passed on RT but just drafted a development guy) because they know those are positions they can improve on in FA. Or at least I hope so. I would love it if they got 2 good TEs in FA and used them like NE* did a bit last season, at least that is MY dream lol. I still could see them bringing in a OLB too but that is high on my not going to happen list.