40% of computer users stiil use Windows XP

I think there's a few reasons for this:

1.) Lack of compelling reasons to upgrade. What does Windows Vista/7 really get you? Dropping support for new patches for Windows XP is one of the biggest reasons to make the jump.

2.) Vista's bad rep. I personally think Vista was a decent operating system after the hardware caught up to it. Once it finally did, the bad press was already out, and companies had made the decision to wait for the next version of Windows.

3.) Slowed market for new computers. Normal PCs were really slow between 2007-2009, with a lot of the market turning to cheap netbooks. Those cheap networks ran Windows XP and Linux, not Vista.

I think there's a few reasons for this:

1.) Lack of compelling reasons to upgrade. What does Windows Vista/7 really get you? Dropping support for new patches for Windows XP is one of the biggest reasons to make the jump.

2.) Vista's bad rep. I personally think Vista was a decent operating system after the hardware caught up to it. Once it finally did, the bad press was already out, and companies had made the decision to wait for the next version of Windows.

3.) Slowed market for new computers. Normal PCs were really slow between 2007-2009, with a lot of the market turning to cheap netbooks. Those cheap networks ran Windows XP and Linux, not Vista.

I'm still running Vista, on a beast of a laptop, and never had a meaningful problem with the OS itself (yes, it bluescreens on occasion...but that's the computer, I'm positive. I've never had a Dell laptop that didn't have a driver issue.) Only real problem I have is that DEP occasionally recognizes my anti-virus software as a virus...

How many times should everyone on the planet pay a royalty to Messrs. Gates, Allen, & Balmer for a new version of s/w with basically the same functionality as the last version, along with a whole new set of bugs and security flaws?

Edited by The Senator

How many times should everyone on the planet pay a royalty to Messrs. Gates, Allen, & Balmer for a new version of s/w with basically the same functionality as the last version, along with a whole new set of bugs and security flaws?

How many times do I have to pay Steve Jobs a royalty to install my own content on my own device?

How many times do I have to pay Steve Jobs a royalty to install my own content on my own device?

Dunno - but then I don't own any Apple devices, and have never paid them for anything.

"It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat s__t and die." - Hunter S. Thomson

Edited by The Senator