NFL may implement full Thursday schedule in 2012

If that's what is needed to prevent an 18-game season (which would be terrible for players), I'm all for it. There is no such thing as over-saturation when it comes to the NFL.

If that's what is needed to prevent an 18-game season (which would be terrible for players), I'm all for it. There is no such thing as over-saturation when it comes to the NFL.

The only plus, for Thursday night games, as far as I am concerned, it gives the Bills a slightly better chance of being on national television...always fun, no matter how bad the team migh be. But, I think the NFL is already close to oversaturation. We will see. I know they still have killer ratings and all, but, once Thursday night games become a weekly thing, will the lustre be taken off? I have always felt, part of the reason the NFL has ruled supreme in the sports world, over the last 20 years or so, was that they put a premium on their product, as maddening as it seems at times...I don't like it.

Edited by Buftex

I like the idea of Thursday games, it's nice to have something to watch later during the week, as i am not much of a college football fan or spend a lot of time watching other sports where Buffalo doesn't have a team in the race. As far as an 18 game season, i am against that idea, it's hard enough for these players to make it through the current season injury free.

The only plus, for Thursday night games, as far as I am concerned, it gives the Bills a slightly better chance of being on national television...always fun, no matter how bad the team migh be. But, I think the NFL is already close to oversaturation. We will see. I know they still have killer ratings and all, but, once Thursday night games become a weekly thing, will the lustre be taken off? I have always felt, part of the reason the NFL has ruled supreme in the sports world, over the last 20 years or so, was that they put a premium on their product, as maddening as it seems at times...I don't like it.

I agree with you Buftex, I don't mind having a few Thursday games, but an entire season? That's too much.

One of the things I love about football is unlike other team sports you have a week to set-up the next games. That week brings anticipation and excitement giving each game an "event" type of feel. An entire season of Thursday games would make it oversaturated.

As for an 18 game season, I'd be fine with it, but I do not think it is a necessity.

I agree with you Buftex, I don't mind having a few Thursday games, but an entire season? That's too much.

One of the things I love about football is unlike other team sports you have a week to set-up the next games. That week brings anticipation and excitement giving each game an "event" type of feel. An entire season of Thursday games would make it oversaturated.

As for an 18 game season, I'd be fine with it, but I do not think it is a necessity.

I have Time Warner cable, so I don't get the NFL Network. They have been carrying 4-6 Thursday night games a season, the last few years. Now, I am one who watches, at least part, of every Prime-time game...with the NFL Network games, I missed most, other than the one the Bills played vs the Jets, and the Cowboys/Packers a few years ago...I can honestly say, it didn't bother me at all. In fact, since MNF has gone to ESPN, I don't really feel like it is much of an event any more, just more ESPN crap...my point is, for me anyways, there is almost a little too much right now....maybe I would feel different if the Bills were better...but right now, I am just not feeling the need for a full schedule of Thursday night football games. I know, it's a money thing. Some network (TNT perhaps?, or HBO or Showtime which I heard rumored) will pay some exhorbenent amount of money to carry those games...

I hope this isn't their way of saying that they don't see a 2011 season happening so they are trying to think of new things they can do with the 2012 season to draw us back in.

Anyway, I like the idea so much more than an 18 game season so I'd be all for it.

I like Ross Tucker's idea of a 19 week NFL season with two bye-weeks for each team. Seventeen games played, starting when the fourth pre-season game usually starts.

I like this idea allowing teams to play Thursday games the week after their bye which would guarantee no short weeks for anyone. I do not want an 18 game season bc of how difficult it is to make it through a season unharmed but could see the players agreeing if 3 things happen...

1. Expanded rosters allowing more rest as well as job opportunities 2. Two bye weeks per team also allowing rest and recovery and 3. A variation on ir where players can be placed much like the dl in baseball and come back later in the year without losing the entire year.

I think this is feasible for all and wouldn't water the product down much but all things considered I like 16 games a year.

I like Ross Tucker's idea of a 19 week NFL season with two bye-weeks for each team. Seventeen games played, starting when the fourth pre-season game usually starts.

That is what I have been saying. It makes more sense than anything else. Giving a team two bye weeks per season, might even make the product better, in the long run.

Players don't want to play more games, the owners want to make the season longer, for more revenue. They always say the money made on game day, is peanuts in the bigger scheme of things...so the NFL gets a week or two more of regular season NFL television money, and the players don't have to let it all on the line an extra two games.

For me, the only plus for Thursday night games is that it give me the ability to watch one more game that i ordinarily would not pay much attention to. On Sundays it's usually the Bills game and then whatever the big 4pm games are on the ticket. The typical Cardinals/49ers game on a Sunday late afternoon would not garner much attention from me. On a Thurs night I'd watch a bunch of it.

For me, the only plus for Thursday night games is that it give me the ability to watch one more game that i ordinarily would not pay much attention to. On Sundays it's usually the Bills game and then whatever the big 4pm games are on the ticket. The typical Cardinals/49ers game on a Sunday late afternoon would not garner much attention from me. On a Thurs night I'd watch a bunch of it.

I watch the Bills every week (noon my time), the second half of the second game on in my market (usually the friggin' Cowboys...my gf is a big Cowboys fan...wrong team, but at least she is "football tolerant"), the Sunday Night game on NBC in it's entirety (most weeks) and then most, if not all, the Monday Night Football game on ESPN. That is about 12 hours of football a week, plus your odd NFL Live, and highlight shows...so that is almost 15 hours of tv a week, devoted to football...now, not saying I wouldn't watch Thursday Night Football games, if I can get them, but, I just don't want to spend that much time on it...on top of that, I have the Sabres and Celtics to keep up with...I love sports, and I want to keep it that way. To me, football is number one, I want to keep it that way...sometimes, too much of anything is a bad thing...