Toronto Star article on Buffalo (City)

A little short of details and things to do but a nice article.

I live near Boston so I spend a lot of time there. It's a great city. So is NY, or Washington, and any number of glamorous destinations. But by living in those places you agree to put up with a certain level stress, inconvenience and discomfort. But that's the deal, right? The price of living in a great city.

I come home to Buffalo every few months to visit my mom and reconnect with friends and places. It certainly can't compare with Boston or New York, but there are advantages it has over those cities.

Take Thursday for example. I pull into town with my buddy, find a free parking space a few blocks from Lafayette Square. We walk 3 minutes to see Grace Potter & The Nocturnals play a free show. Takes us about 60 seconds to get a beer. Now try to do that at the Esplanade in Boston or Central Park in NYC.

After the show, we decide to get some Belgian fries and good beers at the Blue Monk. We walk the 3 minutes back to the car, drive 10 minutes up to Elmwood Avenue, find a parking spot a few doors from the Monk, and walk in. The place is hopping but there are some tables open. We drink, eat and get out with a $30 bill for 4 people. Again, try doing that in any other major city.

The secret of Buffalo that eludes outsiders is that we have most of the same things that larger cities have, but without the craziness. True we have fewer choices: 10-15 great clubs instead of 200-300; but we have them. Good restaurants, pro sports, cultural institutions, we have have 'em all. But we don't have the high prices, or stress of crowds and density. Call it the silver lining of a down economy.

Who knows what the future will bring? HSBC is looking to get out, yet another nail in our economic coffin. The Bills could be gone soon as well. But SUNY 2020 was just approved by the state legislature, which will bring UB Medical to downtown Buffalo. The Sabres have a great new owner and will probably thrive economically if the Bills aren't here.

Meanwhile, if you have a job and don't mind the wind and the snow, life is pretty good in WNY.

PTR

Such a generous review of The Queen City by the well-educated, sophisticated, cosmopolitan and linguistically talented rhetorician, commentator and author - the magnanimous and fair-minded Adrian Brijbassi.

Bravo! Bravo! Have another piece of quiche and a second sip of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin on me you pompous bastard.

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. Unlike a lot of folks on this board, I actually really like Toronto. Buffalo is an easy target to pick on, but it's nice to see that at least someone with a bit of influence is taking the time to understand and appreciate what it is about the area that so many of us love.

That being said, I'm really hoping that B-lo becomes one of the first examples of dying city (with a wonderful history) that finds its way into a renaissance. Whether it's the waterfront or wherever, I would really like to see the city become more viable as it once was. I spent most of my time in Rochester when I lived in Western NY, but every few months I seriously consider moving back to Buffalo. I'd gladly trade the unbearable 90 degree heat of Atlanta for the six month winters again.

Such a generous review of The Queen City by the well-educated, sophisticated, cosmopolitan and linguistically talented rhetorician, commentator and author - the magnanimous and fair-minded Adrian Brijbassi.

Bravo! Bravo! Have another piece of quiche and a second sip of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin on me you pompous bastard.

But they like us! Go suck British royalty, and be damn glad our filthy, closed steel plants kept your masters from losing their Dukedom to the Nazis.