Sabres Schedule

Also, looks like Gary Bettman is proposing a league re-alignment. Columbus and Detroit move to the Eastern Conference, while Winnipeg (formerly eastern Atlanta) moves to the Western Conference. That makes sense I guess. Where it gets a little "controversial" (for lack of a better word), is each conference would be made up of two divisions (Pacific, Midwest, East and South), top 4 teams from each division make the playoffs. As there are only 30 teams, one division in each conference would have 7 teams, while the other would have 8.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-06-23/report-gary-bettman-proposes-major-nhl-realignment-winnipeg-detroit-red-wings?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl14%7Csec3_lnk2%7C72537

I presume the Sabres would be in the East division, with the Rangers, Islanders, Maple Leafs, Bruins,Devils, Flyers, Senators, and Canadians?

Not sure how I feel about that...I suppose it might ensure that stronger teams make it to the playoffs. That would be a good thing.

top 4 teams from each division make the playoffs. . . .

Not sure how I feel about that...I suppose it might ensure that stronger teams make it to the playoffs. That would be a good thing.

Also not sure how I feel, but why top 4? How does that put stronger teams in? Why not like now -- division winners get a spot and everyone else is in a conference-wide scrum?

Maybe top 2 in each division with 4 "open" slots for everyone else.

Also not sure how I feel, but why top 4? How does that put stronger teams in? Why not like now -- division winners get a spot and everyone else is in a conference-wide scrum?

Maybe top 2 in each division with 4 "open" slots for everyone else.

Yeah, I don't get that either. But, that is what the article says. My only guess, they don't want to have too many teams looking like they are "out of it" by January.

Possible Sabres trade in the works...we get Robyn Regehr,big, gritty, tough, team leader type D-man from Calgary...no word on what the Sabres will give up. We definitely need a vetran blue-liner, IMO. This would be a nice pick-up, for the Sabres...a good mentor for Tyler Meyers...Regehr was apparently listed by Meyers as his favorite player, coming into the NHL. Maybe a first step in extending Meyers to keep him in "hockey heaven" for many years? Regehr has lots of experience, playoffs, finals...only 31. It may sound old, but some of the best defensemen are in their 30's. I like it! :thumbsup:

TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369789

More exciting, to me, than the rumor that Satan is coming back! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

If they want to realign, just eliminate the divisions all together. They're unnecessary. I'm sure they could work out a balanced schedule with the divisions.

The only thing about that, like I mentioned in a previous post, in a 15 game division, with no divisions, you would have too many teams eliminated from contention (or at perceived to be eliminated) too early, and, it would also eliminate a lot of the rivalries...I think rivalries are probably a bigger deal in hockey, than any pro sport, at this point.

The only thing about that, like I mentioned in a previous post, in a 15 game division, with no divisions, you would have too many teams eliminated from contention (or at perceived to be eliminated) too early, and, it would also eliminate a lot of the rivalries...I think rivalries are probably a bigger deal in hockey, than any pro sport, at this point.

You'd probably be looking at around 4 games against each team. I think that leaves plenty of room for rivalries. And as for the concern about teams being eliminated too early, how would that be any different than it is now? The top 8 get in right now and it's a pretty rare case where one division is so crappy that the title winner wouldn't already qualify for a playoff slot.

Possible Sabres trade in the works...we get Robyn Regehr,big, gritty, tough, team leader type D-man from Calgary...no word on what the Sabres will give up. We definitely need a vetran blue-liner, IMO. This would be a nice pick-up, for the Sabres...a good mentor for Tyler Meyers...Regehr was apparently listed by Meyers as his favorite player, coming into the NHL. Maybe a first step in extending Meyers to keep him in "hockey heaven" for many years? Regehr has lots of experience, playoffs, finals...only 31. It may sound old, but some of the best defensemen are in their 30's. I like it! :thumbsup:

TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369789

More exciting, to me, than the rumor that Satan is coming back! :lol:

Defensemen normally hit their prime in their early 30s. I'd be very happy with Regehr on the blueline. He's a tough dude, real old time hockey.

Looks like Philly is having a fire sale. Good for them.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Weekend matches:

Saturday 9/24 Toronto at Buffalo (pre-season)

Sunday 9/25 Patriots at Bills

Saturday 10/29 Florida at Buffalo

Sunday 10/30 Redskins at Bills (Toronto)

I usually try to see the Bills around Columbus Day weekend - sucks that the Sabres are in Europe then. I was hoping for one of those all-Buffalo weekends.

Defensemen normally hit their prime in their early 30s. I'd be very happy with Regehr on the blueline. He's a tough dude, real old time hockey.

Looks like Philly is having a fire sale. Good for them.

Strange...just reading up on Regehr...didn't realize that he is Brazillian. How many Brazillian NHL'ers have there been?

It appears the rumors have some substance. I would like to see the deal made, as long as the Sabres don't give up too much...one rumor out of Calgary has Luke Adams going to the Flames. I would have some reservations about that. Adams is not a great skater, they say, but he has some puck handling skills, and is a big center. The Sabres do not have a plethora of great center prospects, from what I understand. Unless T-Pegs plans on going out and picking up a star center, I might want a little more for Adams.

Oh well...Pegula has got me talking hockey in June! It has been a while since that has happened. :thumbsup:

btw- would love to have Briere back! Guy is money in the playoffs!

Edited by Buftex

Because he kicked our asses in the playoffs? That kinda hate I can understand.

Too bad the Sabres botched the extension which would have kept him in Buffalo.

I'd love to see him as a Sabre again.

+1 :thumbsup:

Not sure what his cap hit is now, but that could be a problem.

Edited by CodeMonkey

On top of the draft, and trade rumors, it (almost) is official, as of today...Sabres new AHL affiliate is the Rochester Americans!!! Peula approved as owner of the franchise, official announcement to come next week.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/AHL-expected-to-OK-Sabres-transaction.html

Portland Pirates had no problem letting the Sabres out of their agreement, as long as they could secure another NHL team to supply them with talent...that team, it appears, will be the Phoenix Coyotes!

All is well that ends well. I am jonesing for football, but the new blood at HSBC has me pretty amped for hockey season as well...I can't wait to see what the Sabres do in free-agency...time to see if all the "the sole reason for existence of the Buffalo Sabres, is to win a Stanley Cup" talk is for real. I think it is...I am not going to overreact if they don't get Stamkos or somebody like that, I just want to see that they are making some agressive moves to improve, rather than to maintain the status quo...should be a fun summer, particularly if the lock-out ends soon!

Edited by Buftex