Valu TV Commercials ripping off "Most Interesting Man in the World

theesir

If you live here in Buffalo you may have seen these commercials. They are almost a word for word rip off of the Dos Equis commercials. Even ending with "Shop Easy my Friends".

Don't you think that the company that spend millions on an advertising campaign would be pissed at some other company ripping it off "note for note"?

And don't you think the local TV stations running the add face a problem for running them as well?

Here is an example.... there are a few others

Edited by theesir

No, not unless Doz Equis somehow has a copyright on a "commercial style". But that's kinda the name of the game in advertising.

This all started years ago with Burger King. They were the first to jump into the quirky, off-beat, and downright weird commercials years ago. Now everyone is doing it.

And Dairy Queen is ripping off the Old Spice commercials even worse.

Its just the Ad Business.

No, not unless Doz Equis somehow has a copyright on a "commercial style". But that's kinda the name of the game in advertising.

This all started years ago with Burger King. They were the first to jump into the quirky, off-beat, and downright weird commercials years ago. Now everyone is doing it.

And Dairy Queen is ripping off the Old Spice commercials even worse.

Its just the Ad Business.

BUt this is not just the same "style", it is the same commercial with a different product inserted into the "insert product name" here slot.

I don't really care, but keep seeing the commercial every morning...

BUt this is not just the same "style", it is the same commercial with a different product inserted into the "insert product name" here slot.

I don't really care, but keep seeing the commercial every morning...

Youre right, but its the same difference. It's just the way the advertising business works. If the idea will sell, theyll use it. And they dont care what theyre selling, as long as the client is paying.

Not knocking the ad biz, thats just the way it is.

If you live here in Buffalo you may have seen these commercials. They are almost a word for word rip off of the Dos Equis commercials. Even ending with "Shop Easy my Friends".

Parody is considered fair use, so as long as it's sort of mocking the original it's not considered copyright infringement.

I listen to a ton of radio, mostly talk, and it's so annoying how they rip off each other. The latest one is a car company - Hyundai maybe copying Geico's ad where they are talking about ATVs and all kinds of acronyms and then start saying well FYI. Hyundai almost did it word for word.

But, the all time killer for me is that there are at least 5 different companies using this line of commercial:

- guy calls up and company rep answers and he says I just saw that blah blah blah, so what's the catch. And, she says no catch and goes on to spell all the great things about the product. Then, at the end she says Oh, there is one more thing. And, he says "Aha - the catch!" and she says something like this is all free for the first three months and he is still reveling in the catch and then says wait, that's a good thing.

Ugh - I don't see how they can all use the same commercial!

One could also argue that the most interesting man commercials were inspired / ripped off from all the Chuck Norris lines that were popular about five years ago. He lives vicariously...through himself. etc...

Chuck Norris has a list of 5 people not to mess with. Ron Paul is all of them

More Ron Paul Facts