Late hit penalties in the NYG-Pit game

Ramius

lets see, within 5 mins, tiki barber gets thrown down literally 7 yds OB, and no flag is thrown...but when big ben is getting sacked, and the NYG CB falls on top oh him (while big ben was falling), they drop the flag is dropped immediately...

the officiating thsi season across the league has been horseshit...guess it pays off to have a good record...

...it's the "Pittsburgh Rules." Saw it last week vs. the Dog-Ass Jets, and more of the same today. Toomer may have been pushed on that pick play; of course, no call.

I'm telling you folks, Pittsburgh's charmed life is gonna end soon, say 1/2 at Ralphie's. Then they'll know the free ride is over.

I saw both plays and it was a good call IMHO on both counts. On the Barber play, the Steelers player was riding Barber out of bounds, then lets go, which causes Barber's momentum to make him fall. No push, no hit, just letting him go. As for the late hit on Big Ben, there were 2 linemen smothering him, the whistle had blown, then the safety comes in and knocks him down. It didn't look so bad on replay, but looked like a penalty in real-time. And QB's are WAY more protected than any other position.

I saw both plays and it was a good call IMHO on both counts.  On the Barber play, the Steelers player was riding Barber out of bounds, then lets go, which causes Barber's momentum to make him fall.  No push, no hit, just letting him go.  As for the late hit on Big Ben, there were 2 linemen smothering him, the whistle had blown, then the safety comes in and knocks him down.  It didn't look so bad on replay, but looked like a penalty in real-time.  And QB's are WAY more protected than any other position.

165636[/snapback]

I saw both plays, too, and the calls were BS. :)

The Giants were in the act of following through and it could be claimed that they didn't hear the whistle...you see that non-call all the time.

On the Barber play, he was clearly out of bounds when the defender gave him an extra shove a full 4 yards out of bounds! On that play, the defender was fully aware of where he was and should have been flagged.