ESPN 2011 Ultimate Team Rankings

107 sounds about right, in that range at least. Was happy (surprised) to see that they didnt put us in the bottom 5. Bit of schadenfreude with the Bengals and Skins below us. Surprised the Lions are so high. At last we're ahead of the Thrashers!

Awesome to see the Sabres right on the edge of the top-10. Can definitely agree with that.

Edited by DrDareustein

107 sounds about right, in that range at least. Was happy (surprised) to see that they didnt put us in the bottom 5. Bit of schadenfreude with the Bengals and Skins below us. Surprised the Lions are so high. At last we're ahead of the Thrashers!

Awesome to see the Sabres right on the edge of the top-10. Can definitely agree with that.

I totally agree. The Bills have to be in the bottom 10% without a doubt. Was a little surprised to see the Sabres so high. I know there is excitement with new ownership but wasn't sure how it would rank on players, etc. Awesome to see them so high on the list, and the second highest NHL team to boot.

Edited by billsfreak

I totally agree. The Bills have to be in the bottom 10% without a doubt. Was a little surprised to see the Sabres so high. I know there is excitement with new ownership but wasn't sure how it would rank on players, etc. Awesome to see them so high on the list, and the second highest NHL team to boot.

Not sure why youre surprised about the Sabres. Even when Galisano had the team, they were good to the fans, and regularly made the playoffs. We have good players and regularly find/produce new young talent. I believe it was Fox Sports that recently ranked them the 3rd best franchise in the NHL behind Detroit and Pittsburgh, and I don't disagree. Most hockey analysts on VS, ESPN, and NHLN love the Sabres and Buffalo because they know it's a true hockey town. It's definitely something for the people of Buffalo to be proud of. And I hope all of this recent recognition embarrasses Ralph and the Bills into acting like they want to win.

The fact that the Sabres were #1 just a few years back says a lot about Buffalo's support. That ranking dropped quite a bit when Quinn/Golisano blew it with Drury/Briers/Campbell and overpaying for Vanek. Let's be honest-The Sabres team that excelled in 2006/2007 after lockout was pure dumb luck-Not some great foresight into how post lock out hockey was going to be played. As quickly as the team became great, it become garbage equally as quick. Maybe they are on their way back up now with Pegula-We'll see, but they are very average. A #11 rank is more about Buffalo's love of hockey and the team....At any rate-I still content Buffalo is a football town first. The Buffalo Bills fans would have them at #1 if they truly felt like the team had made the correct decisions in hiring the right personnel-GM's and Coaches and drafted good players-Fans are pissed, apathetic about the product fielded and the poor decisions over the past decade. If the Bills make the playoffs this year and generate some excitement/show improvement-The rank will jump by 50 or more spots. If this was 1992- Bills would be #1 on the list.

The fact that the Sabres were #1 just a few years back says a lot about Buffalo's support. That ranking dropped quite a bit when Quinn/Golisano blew it with Drury/Briers/Campbell and overpaying for Vanek. Let's be honest-The Sabres team that excelled in 2006/2007 after lockout was pure dumb luck-Not some great foresight into how post lock out hockey was going to be played. As quickly as the team became great, it become garbage equally as quick. Maybe they are on their way back up now with Pegula-We'll see, but they are very average. A #11 rank is more about Buffalo's love of hockey and the team....At any rate-I still content Buffalo is a football town first. The Buffalo Bills fans would have them at #1 if they truly felt like the team had made the correct decisions in hiring the right personnel-GM's and Coaches and drafted good players-Fans are pissed, apathetic about the product fielded and the poor decisions over the past decade. If the Bills make the playoffs this year and generate some excitement/show improvement-The rank will jump by 50 or more spots. If this was 1992- Bills would be #1 on the list.

What year were the Buffalo Sabres ranked the #1 franchise in all of sports? Honestly missed it if it happened.

Edit: Found it, 2007. Weird. Dont think they ever deserved to be that high on the list. Consistently around 10 would be fair, IMHO.

Re-edit: Even stranger, the Bills were #15 as recently as 2005.

Edited by DrDareustein

Not sure why youre surprised about the Sabres. Even when Galisano had the team, they were good to the fans, and regularly made the playoffs. We have good players and regularly find/produce new young talent. I believe it was Fox Sports that recently ranked them the 3rd best franchise in the NHL behind Detroit and Pittsburgh, and I don't disagree. Most hockey analysts on VS, ESPN, and NHLN love the Sabres and Buffalo because they know it's a true hockey town. It's definitely something for the people of Buffalo to be proud of. And I hope all of this recent recognition embarrasses Ralph and the Bills into acting like they want to win.

I said I was a "Little" surprised that they were that high, mainly because they were ranked ahead of teams like Pittsburgh and Detroit in the NHL, as well as teams like the Colts, Patriots in the NFL and Cardinals, Yankees, Phillies in MLB as well as a few others. I wasn't saying anything negative, just a little pleasantly surprised.

I agree with this completely. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.