Mexican Drug Cartels

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/topstory/7607122.html

The elderly are killed. Young women are raped. And able-bodied men are given hammers, machetes and sticks and forced to fight to the death.

In one of the most chilling revelations yet about the violence in Mexico, a drug cartel-connected trafficker claims fellow gangsters have kidnapped highway bus passengers and forced them into gladiatorlike fights to groom fresh assassins.

Isn't it amazing that the MSM pretty much ignores this topic? 40,000 people killed over the last several years and you only read about this stuff on blogs or a Texas newspaper. I read about hangings over bridges from a UK paper a week or two ago.

I've never been a proponent of the legalization of weed, but I'm coming around to it after reading these type of stories. The way I figure it is that if you legalize weed and nail the people who get caught with cocaine or heroine to the wall, eventually most drug takers wouldn't even bother with the strong stuff and thereby squashing it's demand. Is this too simple of a solution?

Isn't it amazing that the MSM pretty much ignores this topic? 40,000 people killed over the last several years and you only read about this stuff on blogs or a Texas newspaper. I read about hangings over bridges from a UK paper a week or two ago.

I've never been a proponent of the legalization of weed, but I'm coming around to it after reading these type of stories. The way I figure it is that if you legalize weed and nail the people who get caught with cocaine or heroine to the wall, eventually most drug takers wouldn't even bother with the strong stuff and thereby squashing it's demand. Is this too simple of a solution?

Legalizing weed would hurt the cartels badly (take away 60% of their revenue), but the real problem is with hard drugs. You simply can't keep throwing people in prison. It doesn't work. We already have 25% of the world's prisoners, despite only 5% of the population. About half of those prisoners are in on drug crimes. Legalizing weed won't help, simply because the vast majority are in the clink for drugs other than weed. I'm afraid your solution will only end up greatly increasing the prison populations.

The only true solution is legalization and regulation, but I seriously doubt that happens. There is just too much religious and political clout against the idea, despite all the evidence pointing to the failures of prohibition. The UK had to eliminate the scientific oversight of their drug policy because they couldn't come up with scientists willing to support the war on drugs.

Legalizing weed would hurt the cartels badly (take away 60% of their revenue), but the real problem is with hard drugs. You simply can't keep throwing people in prison. It doesn't work. We already have 25% of the world's prisoners, despite only 5% of the population. About half of those prisoners are in on drug crimes. Legalizing weed won't help, simply because the vast majority are in the clink for drugs other than weed. I'm afraid your solution will only end up greatly increasing the prison populations.

The only true solution is legalization and regulation, but I seriously doubt that happens. There is just too much religious and political clout against the idea, despite all the evidence pointing to the failures of prohibition. The UK had to eliminate the scientific oversight of their drug policy because they couldn't come up with scientists willing to support the war on drugs.

So, essentially we would end up taking the money we spend on prisons and put it into rehab facilities. Brilliant! Somehow I don't see this working out to well for society either.....

So, essentially we would end up taking the money we spend on prisons and put it into rehab facilities. Brilliant! Somehow I don't see this working out to well for society either.....

Better to lock em up and let the rapists and murderers go free!

You forget about the peripheral effects of the drug war. There are just as many, if not more, people working to enable addicts to take drugs. What are the bangers on the corner going to sell to make money? Legalizing would remove organized crime's #1 source of revenue. No longer would our inner-city youth be enticed by the easy money of the drug trade. You want to get rid of gangs and mobs? Take away their money.

Prohibition was the reason Al Capone owned all of Chicago, including the police force, and it's the reason you can't walk through many poor areas of Buffalo. There is a reason that the mafia was at it's height of power during the 30's.

It would seem the lessons of history are lost on many people.

Edited by Fingon

You forget about the peripheral effects of the drug war. There are just as many, if not more, people working to enable addicts to take drugs. What are the bangers on the corner going to sell to make money? Legalizing would remove organized crime's #1 source of revenue. No longer would our inner-city youth be enticed by the easy money of the drug trade. You want to get rid of gangs and mobs? Take away their money.

Prohibition was the reason Al Capone owned all of Chicago, including the police force, and it's the reason you can't walk through many poor areas of Buffalo. There is a reason that the mafia was at it's height of power during the 30's.

It would seem the lessons of history are lost on many people.

Why study history, apply it and draw rational conclusions about the legalization of drugs when:

1. Inner city Democrats can demagogue this into getting more free money to fund "outreach programs" that are either run by themselves...or one of their campaign contributors.

2. Suburb/Rural Republicans can demagogue this into yet another way to demand more money for law enforcement they don't need and also scare the hell out of their voters.

3. Both can continue to demand that we all throw even more money down the government rabbit hole...and siphon off some for their own special projects.

3. Both can demand more money for the prison systems...and both get paid off because:

the failure of the inner city to serve their community gets turned into the state's problem in the form of new inmate 45543244 rather than John Smith, unemployed, unskilled, uneducated directly due to failed liberal social engineering.

the suburban rural area now gets yet another prison/expansion to existing prison which means more government-dependent jobs...which means more people are now dependent on rural Republican politician.

I could go on. The simple fact is that for far too many people: illegal drugs = money/power. There is nothing "immoral" about doing any drug. There is nothing "immoral" about selling any drug. All the self-righteous morons in the world don't change the fact that the individual person(over 12) who uses drugs is 100% responsible for their use.