Working in Your Underwear

ajzepp

I do environmental due diligence. I go to commercial properties all over the area. Spend a day visiting the site and county and city offices amassing information. Then I write up the report and upload it to the various companies we deal with computers. It's just me here, so I can work all day in my skivvies if the weather is bad outside. When it's nicer, I run errands around lunch time. I spent from 2-4 Tuesday going to the bank, post office, gas station and doing my food shopping.

Get to ogle the MILFs at the supermarket during the day. :thumbsup:

Sometimes, if I am doing my wash, I'll work in the nude when I washing my underwear.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been working out oof the house fornabout 13 years. Good and bad, but my realistic take is you worked hard and were productive at the office, you will be at home as well.Prolly good I did not start right out of college, but working at home as never effected my productivity.

Only opinion I have than diffs from most is do not be afraid to get household things done while working at home. I say I am , at the very least, at least 2-3 hous more effective at home than office due to not taking lunch, no socializing in the hall, no leaving early to get a quick pop etc. So, I am not afraid to make dinner when on a conference call or empty the dishwasher, or spend 30 minutes with the kid revising homework or such.

I do miss the social aspect some times.....but not that much.

I am an RN by profession, but due to a few back injuries and being fed up with getting bit by the elderly, I took at "desk job" in February of last year with one of the largest insurance companies on earth. I do telephonic case management where I spend my day providing health information and working with folks on improving their health. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but it's a nice break from the hospital and it pays well.

Anyway, I was just approved for a "work-at-home" schedule starting tomorrow. It starts off where you get two shifts from home each week, and if your productivity improves then they eventually let you spend all week there. The hardest thing about this job has been adapting to cubicle life, so it will be nice to have a bit of a break from that. I was wondering if there were any other at-home workin folks who could chime in and offer some advice. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it, but I do have a few coworkers who prefer to just come in to the office.

I will be, I start telecommuting fulltime today!

w00t

No more sharing bathrooms.

Ive been telecommuting for the past few years. It's "ok" but not as great as some would expect. The MAIN tip is to have a separate, dedicated workspace that you don't normally spend time in off hours. That will let you feel like you are still able to delineate between work time and home time.

I wont lie, it can get kinda depressing after a while. Before I had the home office setup and was working from my couch, even when I got a ton done, at the end of the day I still felt like a shlub because I was still in my PJs and still on the couch.

The best advice I can give is to stay as disciplined as possible with sticking to a routine like you are actually leaving the house for an office. Get up, shower, get dressed, etc. every morning.

It's really easy to just walk over to the laptop straight from bed, or worse STILL IN BED, and work like that all day. Sounds relaxing, but youll end up hating yourself.

Now, obviously, the biggest plus for you and I is that we miss the Atlanta traffic. That is a big bonus and time saver for sure.

More information here, it's pretty dead on:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

I agree with this. I am not that crazy about working at home. I work from home maybe 3 or 4 days a month I just do not like it. I feel less productive even if I did alot that day. I mean it is nice getting my son on the bus & such for school but there are too many distractions at home(I have a 7 year old & a 2 year old). My work is funny too. Either I am really busy or I am really slow, there is really no in between. Last Friday I worked from home, had just a few thing I had to wrap up going into the weekend & I ended up having a few pops & smoking a chicken & some baby back ribs in the afternoon because I was so bored.

Edited by Gordio

I'm thinking twice, maybe three times per week should be perfect. I'll have the option of working all my hours at home eventually, but not sure if that would be overkill. That's awesome how that works out with you and your kids...it's great to have a job with flexibility :thumbsup:

Yup. Just be careful of the full time work at home situation. A lot of people feel isolated and disconnected from their work environment if they never go to the office.

I have been working for myself from home since 2003 and can concur with everything said here. It definitely fits my lifestyle and personality. I love having a fluid schedule. I also can take my work with me on the road if I have to travel.

The downside is that work is always "on", even if I'm on vacation. You also miss seeing co-workers, other people, etc. Right now the only companion I have at work is a fat chihuahua. Maintaining focus is also an issue. For example, here I am hanging out at TBD instead of working.

Then again it's going to be 80 today. I may take lunch in my pool. :P

PTR

Last Friday I worked from home, had just a few thing I had to wrap up going into the weekend & I ended up having a few pops & smoking a chicken & some baby back ribs in the afternoon because I was so bored.

And this is bad how??

Sometimes I find I'm more productive working from home, simply because I can focus on one thing and not be bombarded by a half-dozen ad-hoc meeting requests or people stopping by my desks with inane questions ("Do you know how to format a document in MS Word?" You're a senior application developer with 15 years experience...figure it out yourself, goddamnit!)

But the only time I've worked in my underwear was as an underwear model. I find it helpful to actually roll out of bed and go through the three "S's", just so I feel like I'm going to work.

And this is bad how??

No I am not saying it is bad, it turned out to be a fun day. I just bought a smoker over Memorial Day weekend & still figuring out the little tricks of it. Although I will say the food turned out pretty good Friday. But I did it on company time & the chicken actually took over 4 hours to cook, or in other words about 15 Coronas.

Edited by Gordio

No I am not saying it is bad, it turned out to be a fun day. I just bought a smoker over Memorial Day weekend & still figuring out the little tricks of it. Although I will say the food turned out pretty good Friday. But I did it on company time & the chicken actually took over 4 hours to cook, or in other words about 15 Coronas.

See thats the point of working at home...I will guarantee there will be days you will be working at 9 at night cause you are at home. Like calls in football..tends to even out :thumbsup:

Now we gotta work on your beer selection

See thats the point of working at home...I will guarantee there will be days you will be working at 9 at night cause you are at home. Like calls in football..tends to even out :thumbsup:

Now we gotta work on your beer selection

I hear ya. At the end of the day no matter where you are you got to get your work done.

As far as the Corona I only drink it during the summer time & I do not know, I kind of had a taste for it last Friday. I like it once in awhile. Those 2 spring breaks I spent down in Cancun 15-16 years ago left a positive lasting impression on me as far as my taste in beer goes I guess.

I hear ya. At the end of the day no matter where you are you got to get your work done.

As far as the Corona I only drink it during the summer time & I do not know, I kind of had a taste for it last Friday. I like it once in awhile. Those 2 spring breaks I spent down in Cancun 15-16 years ago left a positive lasting impression on me as far as my taste in beer goes I guess.

Just finished setting up all my equipment. SWEET!

Runs like a dream on my 10mbps connection

I will be, I start telecommuting fulltime today!

w00t

No more sharing bathrooms.

Congrats, man!! Welcome to the club :D

Let me tell you, once you start you'll love it. This is fantastic. No idiocy or drama around me. Just me, making money. ;)

Right on :) I have some music playing in the background, dogs chillin out on the bed, and I'm having a pretty productive first day...and I can take time to check out what's up on TBD whenever I want :D

Right on :) I have some music playing in the background, dogs chillin out on the bed, and I'm having a pretty productive first day...and I can take time to check out what's up on TBD whenever I want :D

You just started today too?

LOL what's the odds of that?

Can't play music while I work unfortunately, I'm on the phone all day. But, it's still WAYYYY better than the office.

You just started today too?

LOL what's the odds of that?

Can't play music while I work unfortunately, I'm on the phone all day. But, it's still WAYYYY better than the office.

Yep! Got approved yesterday before CoB, so today was first day :) I'll be at home every Wed and Sat from this point forward, and then in the office on Tues, THurs, and Fri.

I'm on the phone too, but mostly talk with retirees from the state of GA...they can't seem to be able to hear the music :w00t:

Not exactly for me - I will be burning up the airmiles even more than I do today ...

I would suck at a job where I had to fly. Most people I know love it, but I've never been a fan. I'm typically not a control freak, but apparently I had a traumatic experience when I was on an airplane as a kid. My parents said that the first time I flew (we were headed to disneyworld), the pilot came out of the cockpit to say hello to everyone and I freaked because he was so old lol. Apparently I had some issues with an older guy's ability to fly a plane when I was like 6...I dunno lol.

Seriously, I have sinus problems and I've come close to blowing out a frontal sinus because of the pressure changes during the course of the flight. It's very painful. (And I also like being in control lol)