Airlines collect $3.4B in bag fees in 2010

Beerball

It's gotta be getting to the point that it's less expensive to ship your bags to your destination, no?

(Probably more likely that they'll actually be there when you arrive, as well.)

I usually try to do only carry-on. I was in Vegas for a conference last week (Sun-Fri) and was able to pack everything into a legal sized carry-on without any issues. Probably easier for guys to do though :)

Sounds good to me. I'd prefer to keep the base cost of the flight lower and let the people who want to tote along a hundred pounds of crap pay the extra.

I agree, but what causes more problems (IMO) is people bringing thier ridonkulously large carry-ons into the cabin. The airlines don't do a very good job enforcing the size limit policy...

I agree, but what causes more problems (IMO) is people bringing thier ridonkulously large carry-ons into the cabin. The airlines don't do a very good job enforcing the size limit policy...

Yes, I am in full agreement that the carryon size rules should be strictly enforced. Aside from the problems it creates on the plane, this is why security takes twice as long as it should.

Yes, I am in full agreement that the carryon size rules should be strictly enforced. Aside from the problems it creates on the plane, this is why security takes twice as long as it should.

& the entire boarding process. Especially now with planes (at least the ones I've been on the past 3-4 weeks) being at or very close to capacity.

Missing from that number is the extra billion a year they get from all the **** they steal and fence...

The airlines don't get that, the thieves do... :(

& the entire boarding process. Especially now with planes (at least the ones I've been on the past 3-4 weeks) being at or very close to capacity.

My flight to Vegas Sunday morning wasn't full -- the flight attendant actually asked if I wanted to move back a row so that there was nobody next to me. Sign me up! :)

The return flight was booked though.

I dunno, most people I see are pretty good about stuff like that..I am okay with the bag fees, and extra for better seats, and all that stuff...I like you guys want lowest possible flight fares as most of my travel is business related.

However, for friggen $7 a beer, I need something a little better than Miller Lite, Bud and Becks(Us Air) or MGD, Bud Lite and Heineken(Delta).

The invention of the "checked baggage fee" is the most obnoxious, money grabbing idea in a long time. I can't stand it. I am not against airlines creating revenue but $25 or $50 for a bag is insane to me. Just a ripoff. I guess I'm old enough to have flown on countless flights in my life with no baggage fees. I can totally understand if they want to charge for a second or third bag, or an overstuffed bag for say..$5 or $10. To charge for a FIRST checked bag in the $25-50 range is not right. It's like gas prices. Once the companies get used to all the extra revenue it's hard to go back and charge less.

The invention of the "checked baggage fee" is the most obnoxious, money grabbing idea in a long time. I can't stand it. I am not against airlines creating revenue but $25 or $50 for a bag is insane to me. Just a ripoff. I guess I'm old enough to have flown on countless flights in my life with no baggage fees. I can totally understand if they want to charge for a second or third bag, or an overstuffed bag for say..$5 or $10. To charge for a FIRST checked bag in the $25-50 range is not right. It's like gas prices. Once the companies get used to all the extra revenue it's hard to go back and charge less.

As much as I'd like to agree, I think paying to rent a blanket in-flight is worse.

How much do you think each bag costs the airlines? Would you rather them build it into the price of a ticket?

How much do you think each bag costs the airlines? Would you rather them build it into the price of a ticket?

Exactly...so jet fuel goes up by 50%, but god damn we want our cheap fares....if you have a bag and it takes the airline more people to get it onto and off the plane, more security...etc you should pay more than me who gets on the plane with a laptop/ipad bag and a small, soft leather bag..and no extra cost to the airline.

Exactly...so jet fuel goes up by 50%, but god damn we want our cheap fares....if you have a bag and it takes the airline more people to get it onto and off the plane, more security...etc you should pay more than me who gets on the plane with a laptop/ipad bag and a small, soft leather bag..and no extra cost to the airline.

actually, I have this conversation all the time with friends of mine who are frequent fliers. We have come to the agreement that there would probably be a demand for an airline that gives you premium ammenities like drinks, food, room to move around and cordial flightstaff for a premium pricetag. If they offered that kind of premium service, I think that they would do well. There is a consituent out there that isn't out there looking only for the Walmart of airlines. Personally, I don't fly anymore when I can help it for some of those reasons, and of course, the people. This planet would be much better if not for all the !@#$ing people on it...

Edited by TheMadCap

actually, I have this conversation all the time with friends of mine who are frequent fliers. We have come to the agreement that there would probably be a demand for an airline that gives you premium ammenities like drinks, food, room to move around and cordial flightstaff for a premium pricetag. If they offered that kind of premium service, I think that they would do well. There is a consituent out there that isn't out there looking only for the Walmart of airlines. Personally, I don't fly anymore when I can help it for some of those reasons, and of course, the people. This planet would be much better if not for all the !@#$ing people on it...

You would think so, and they have been tried, but not succeeded. Midway tried that, as well as two that flew from the East Coast to Heathrow and failed as well. Sure, some execs can fly on whatever they choose, but for business I damn well better fly cheapest reasonable route, or have a fine excuse why I did not Free drinks and better food on a two hour flight is not going to do it for my boss.