PFW: Bills hope to give Evans bigger role

i think the bills really have a nice crop of receivers. getting evans involved obviously improves the offense. i am an eternal optimist when it comes to the bills and the skill positions seem in tremendous shape to me. sure tight end seems to be an ever-lasting concern, but RB's and wide-outs seem above average , to me.

Edited by dwight in philly

i think the bills really have a nice crop of receivers. getting evans involved obviously improves the offense. i am an eternal optimist when it comes to the bills and the skill positions seem in tremendous shape to me. sure tight end seems to be an ever-lasting concern, but RB's and wide-outs seem above average , to me.

I think we'll have a very clear picture of what we have at the WR position about half way through this season. We need to see if Stevie really is coming into his own as a legit player, we need to see Easley in game action, and we need to figure out the future of guys like Roscoe and Evans. The fact that we still have guys like Roosevelt and Jones to get some playing time just speaks to how potentially deep this group really is.

Good to see an article like this. Fitz had very few first team reps to get into a groove with Evans before the season started last year. The QB and receivers need to put that time in, get the timing down. It'll be fun to watch Fitz in sync with the starters.

Let me start by saying i have always liked Evans & the way he handles him self along with how good of a veteran presence he is for the rest of the guys to look up to , but with that being said he really besides the one year hasn't lit the Bills on fire !!

He has made some pretty spectacular catches like the one in the end zone that he trapped against his head that was killer , but last week on Rumblings there was a right up on how he has dropped some relatively easy catches at times that could have really helped !!

I think he will put everything he has into being the receiver that we thought he should be which will be great for the Bills , but if his career continues to go the way it has for the last couple of years i think we need to move on & think the folks in charge will as they have shown they will .

I hope he does make the transition though because that will just make our Bills even better .

Go Lee ---- Go Bills !!!!!!

I think we'll have a very clear picture of what we have at the WR position about half way through this season. We need to see if Stevie really is coming into his own as a legit player, we need to see Easley in game action, and we need to figure out the future of guys like Roscoe and Evans. The fact that we still have guys like Roosevelt and Jones to get some playing time just speaks to how potentially deep this group really is.

The foundation of every Bills season is this potential talk. One guy had a career year last season in Steve Johnson, and even he's going to have to adapt as teams roll coverage his way. Will his hands improve? Will he learn to read coverages that are shaded his way? For all the talk, the receiving corps may be young, but there's very little to bank on. More importantly, how does Fitzpatrick improve his game now that opposing defenses have more film on he and Gailey? The assumption the offense will improve is one borne of naivety.

I'm wondering why only now Gailey realizes Evans needs a bigger role? Did he just now realize the highest paid WR in team history was on the team and what he's apparently there to do? Johnson and Fitzpatrick meshed almost from the start, while Evans struggled mightily. It makes little sense that an unheralded guy was able to come on and the established vet with 2 1,000 yard seasons could not.

As much as some want to pronounce Evans a great X receiver, he's not. His route running was not sharp and he dropped plenty of catchable passes in 2010. Outside of the Baltimore game he failed to catch 6 balls and had all of 1 TD reception in the other 11 contests. If Johnson could have the season he did, why couldn't Evans?

I guess we can now cue up those who believe Evans and his diversionary 9 routes were what was freeing up Johnson to have a career year.

The foundation of every Bills season is this potential talk. One guy had a career year last season in Steve Johnson, and even he's going to have to adapt as teams roll coverage his way. Will his hands improve? Will he learn to read coverages that are shaded his way? For all the talk, the receiving corps may be young, but there's very little to bank on. More importantly, how does Fitzpatrick improve his game now that opposing defenses have more film on he and Gailey? The assumption the offense will improve is one borne of naivety.

I'm wondering why only now Gailey realizes Evans needs a bigger role? Did he just now realize the highest paid WR in team history was on the team and what he's apparently there to do? Johnson and Fitzpatrick meshed almost from the start, while Evans struggled mightily. It makes little sense that an unheralded guy was able to come on and the established vet with 2 1,000 yard seasons could not.

As much as some want to pronounce Evans a great X receiver, he's not. His route running was not sharp and he dropped plenty of catchable passes in 2010. Outside of the Baltimore game he failed to catch 6 balls and had all of 1 TD reception in the other 11 contests. If Johnson could have the season he did, why couldn't Evans?

I guess we can now cue up those who believe Evans and his diversionary 9 routes were what was freeing up Johnson to have a career year.

I think Evans likes to jet. He likes big armed QBs who can sling it to him as he jets down the sideline. I don't think he like to play football.

Until they get on the field, of COURSE it's all talk about potential. What else is there to go on? That doesn't just apply to the Bills, it applies to lots of teams. Obviously we don't know what we have with several of these guys until they get on the field and start trying to make plays. It's also obvious that there are too many questions marks right now to "assume" anything about the offense. On the other hand, that is Chan's forte and given our lack of talent I think it's pretty clear they had some success last year in terms of showing improvement. Fitzpatrick has only been a starter when the player in front of him was out of commission. Who knows how he'll respond by being the #1 guy heading into camp and the start of the season. Who knows if CJ will prove to be a legit NFL caliber threat? Yes, there are lots of questions on offense...

You guys are way off base. Evans is the best receiver on this team. The assumption that he is nothing more than a strait line burner is ludicrous. How is he going to break another 1000 yard season, if you don't throw him the damn ball? Captain checkdown sure as hell wouldn't do it and when Fitz came in to start after mostly practicing with all of the second stringers, Evans is supposed to just magically be in a rhythm with him? Evans has consistently been a top performing WRs on this team even though he has had to deal with a different QB nearly every year of his career. Bills fans are these days are about the most impatient lot I have ever seen.

In regards to "potential" and "talk" about the Bills WR corps, I think there is reason for optimism this year.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/12/2219958/cj-spiller-roscoe-parrish-david-nelson-bills#storyjump

In the slot position, the Bills have three WR's they could use, that will create problems for defenses. David Nelson is a tall WR that can get open, has great hands and is difficult to match up because of his height. Parrish & Spiller are difficult to match up against, because of their speed. Plus, the Bills have Steve Johnson, who had a great breakout year.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/7/2208919/marcus-easley-buffalo-bills

Marcus Easley who an unknown at this point, but he was making plays in training camp last year, looks sharp in the practices that Bills players have been putting together, plus he's a big, physical player, which the Bills have been needing at that position.

Now, it comes down to Lee Evans. Evans needs to rebound from a bad 2010 season, in which he posted career lows, had many dropped balls (many of those should have been easy catches), and had poor route running. IMO, Evans production this season (if there is one) will be a key factor in how well the Bills WR's will do.

Otherwise, there is a lot of talent and potential with the WR's on the team. How they will do, will depend on how the O-line blocks for Fitz and how Fitz performs.

He's one of the reasons Stevie had such a good year. When he went out, Stevies production fell off quite a bit. If the defenses start looking more the way of Stevie, I most definitely think Evans will be producing a lot for us next year.

He's one of the reasons Stevie had such a good year. When he went out, Stevies production fell off quite a bit. If the defenses start looking more the way of Stevie, I most definitely think Evans will be producing a lot for us next year.

I thought we heard the same story the previous year when T.O was supposed to take all the attention and Evans was to be a free bird...Nothing happened...Evans still had a pathetic season whether it was Edwards at the helm or Fitzpatrick throwing the ball.

Stevie production fell off because our running game went further south and Fitz was figured out by the league.

Good to see an article like this. Fitz had very few first team reps to get into a groove with Evans before the season started last year. The QB and receivers need to put that time in, get the timing down. It'll be fun to watch Fitz in sync with the starters.

The emergence, hopefully, of the first receiving threat opposite Lee Evans since Eric Moulds left should finally provide Lee some freedom to roam or Johnson should get even better at taking advantage of single coverage. Time together should help immensely as most probably don't think that Fitz and Lee likely had VERY little work together being on 2nd and first string respectively.

*As a note before any haters break a leg jumping at the chance I am for the most part discounting TO. Edwards was so bad that everybody sucked. Many of us knew that Trent didn't have the arm or the balls to throw a deep ball to Evans. For a short time TO was a security blanket for Trent as he figured he would be less exposed throwing to a BIG WR short who could out muscle a DB in single coverage.

I thought we heard the same story the previous year when T.O was supposed to take all the attention and Evans was to be a free bird...Nothing happened...Evans still had a pathetic season whether it was Edwards at the helm or Fitzpatrick throwing the ball.

Stevie production fell off because our running game went further south and Fitz was figured out by the league.

I see a hater already stepped up. Should have read farther down in the thread. If your QB doesn't have the balls or the arm to throw deep to your deep threat whose fault is it?

Personally I'm not so sure anyone figured out Fitz. What did they figure out? He got the line in the right protection, ran for his life when it didn't hold up and threw to open WRs when others were double covered.

On another note I think Stevie's performance fell off right around the time he started blaming God for his drops.

Edited by PDaDdy

And because Evans got hurt.

Yes, Evans had a pathetic year(576yds), but people tend look at things in black and white only. He was practicing with Edwards at the helm instead of Fitz before the season started and up until Edwards was shown the door. Stevie spent a lot of time practicing with the second stringers and hence Fitz. How good a WR is, isn't all about how well you run a route. Having good practice time with your QB is critically important. Getting that timing down doesn't just miraculously happen. I also think that is why the other second string WRs had good numbers; they actually had a lot of reps with Fitz.

He's (EVANS) one of the reasons Stevie had such a good year. When he went out, Stevies production fell off quite a bit. If the defenses start looking more the way of Stevie, I most definitely think Evans will be producing a lot for us next year.

Heh!!!???

game by game 2010. Number of catches.

(by the way, for the season Johnson had about twice the yardage of Evans)

Catches per game

Evans.......Johnson

4...........3................Edwards was QB

0...........3................Edwards was QB

0...........5 (Evans injured in first half)

DNP.........6

DNP.........5

DNP.........5

When Evans was the #1 receiver, he averaged THREE catches a game, when Johnson was the #1 receiver he averaged 5.3 catches a game. (and that with Roscoe Parrish out for the year, so a poorer supporting WR cast to help). Think a bit: which would you rather have 3 or 5 catches a game from your #1 WR?

Please, look at the data before speaking with your emotions. I, also have spent a couple of years hoping a bomb to Evans would save a game for the Bills. But the data says that just isn't there. When both Evans and Johnson were both in the lineup, Johnson got more catches and more TD's and more yards. When Evans was out, Johnson got more catches per game as a #1 then Evans did as a #1. What criteria do you want to use???? Time to get with improvement rather than wishing.

Facts talk, BS walks.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Heh!!!???

game by game 2010. Number of catches.

(by the way, for the season Johnson had about twice the yardage of Evans)

Catches per game

Evans.......Johnson

4...........3................Edwards was QB

0...........3................Edwards was QB

0...........5 (Evans injured in first half)

DNP.........6

DNP.........5

DNP.........5

When Evans was the #1 receiver, he averaged THREE catches a game, when Johnson was the #1 receiver he averaged 5.3 catches a game. (and that with Roscoe Parrish out for the year, so a poorer supporting WR cast to help). Think a bit: which would you rather have 3 or 5 catches a game from your #1 WR?

Please, look at the data before speaking with your emotions. I, also have spent a couple of years hoping a bomb to Evans would save a game for the Bills. But the data says that just isn't there. When both Evans and Johnson were both in the lineup, Johnson got more catches and more TD's and more yards. When Evans was out, Johnson got more catches per game as a #1 then Evans did as a #1. What criteria do you want to use???? Time to get with improvement rather than wishing.

Facts talk, BS walks.

Fact. Evans is and was the #1 WR getting double teamed every play.

Fact. Stevie Johnson was the #2 who greatly profited from being an unknown and working with single coverage.

Fact. Steve Johnson scored 1 TD his last 6 games

Fact. Steve Johnson scored a TD in 2 of his last 8 games (3 TDs against CINCY week 11)

I don't want to overtax your brain but can you think of a scenario where the stats being accurate and the statements I have made above are also accurate. They are not mutually exclusive.

I will never dispute statistics but I will use my brain and think about what it is they are actually saying.

STAT: Trent Dilfer won 1 superbowl.

STAT: Dan Marino and Jim Kelly ZERO superbowl wins.

CONCLUSION: Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Marino or Kelly.

"Survey Says.....ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!" No freakin way he is a better QB even though he has more superbowl wins. See how facts can be misleading when used irresponsibly?

Stevie Johnson is developing into a really nice WR but please don't try to look at his performance vs Evans in vacuum and not consider things like who is drawing the coverage, time spent with the QB, injuries, etc. It freakin galls the hell out of me because I wanted to see what Evans could do with Fitz and a whole off season of work together. Well, we know how that is going.

Sad as it is to say JP was the only guy that was really able to take advantage of what Lee brings to the table. You have to have the QB who has the cannon to get him the ball and use that speed. Otherwise he is relegated to drawing double coverage deep more of a decoy than every play threat.

That being said it appears that there is a concerted effort to get Lee more involved. Fitz wants him more involved. Chan wants him to run some routes that he hasn't been asked to do before. I hope we can really get this thing back on track and be a surprise team for 2011.

Edited by PDaDdy