Holy crap!!!

ajzepp

So a while back I came across the google translator site on the web. It was really cool, cause it would instantly converty anything you typed into the other language of your preference. Yesterday I thought I'd check and see if there was an iPhone app that related to this, and sure enough there it was. But the iPhone app takes it a step further into Star Trek "universal translator" capability. Maybe I'm just not current on the state of technology, but this thing lets you SPEAK into it, it understands what you say that then immediately translates it into another language. Not only that, but you can hit a button and it speaks it back to you in the other language. This is the coolest thing I've ever seen! You can literally go anywhere in the world and NEVER have a language barrier again! I don't understand why more people don't use this...I don't recall ever hearing about it, yet the implications of this technology are huge. I would feel MUCH safer goign to another country if I knew that I could always have a tool with me to communicate. It works very fast, so there is barely any delay at all in the process.

Has anyone seen this? Am I just completely out of touch and this sort of technology is commonplace now?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's a universal translator in every TARDIS. It telepathically converts every language (well, except Gallifreyan).

lol, Wikipedia is my friend :D

Yeah, there's a universal translator in every TARDIS. It telepathically converts every language (well, except Gallifreyan).

In other news, I've apparently lost the title of "Biggest Nerd on the Board..."

I can see this coming in handy for wooing the ladies too. Some things just sound cool in a different language. 0:):D

You planning to take a trip to the bush?

So a while back I came across the google translator site on the web. It was really cool, cause it would instantly converty anything you typed into the other language of your preference.

Has anyone seen this? Am I just completely out of touch and this sort of technology is commonplace now?

Not sure how good this app is but I have used Google translate just for kicks. I type in one of the other two languages I know and the translation totally sucks. If I tried to woo someone with that level of translation, at best I can expect a guffaw out of the lady.

Oh ok...was worried/confused for a minute there ;)

:flirt: What happened to the clever thread title?

Not sure how good this app is but I have used Google translate just for kicks. I type in one of the other two languages I know and the translation totally sucks. If I tried to woo someone with that level of translation, at best I can expect a guffaw out of the lady.

:lol: Well, guess you'll have to learn to speak it yourself. ;)

:flirt: What happened to the clever thread title?

I must have been globally moderated :)

Not sure if it's common, but Google has an app for Android that has this functionality, and it's been free as long as I've owned my phone. Not sure on the quality of the translations, but it's cool.

An even neater app is called Edwin on Android. http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.neureau.edwin

You ask it questions, and it speaks to you answers. Stuff like "Where am I?", "Where is the closest hamburger restaurant?", "Where is the closest gas station?", "Whats the weather?", "Convert 5 ounces to cups", etc. and it'll speak the answers back to you.

Pretty cool.

So a while back I came across the google translator site on the web. It was really cool, cause it would instantly converty anything you typed into the other language of your preference. Yesterday I thought I'd check and see if there was an iPhone app that related to this, and sure enough there it was. But the iPhone app takes it a step further into Star Trek "universal translator" capability. Maybe I'm just not current on the state of technology, but this thing lets you SPEAK into it, it understands what you say that then immediately translates it into another language. Not only that, but you can hit a button and it speaks it back to you in the other language. This is the coolest thing I've ever seen! You can literally go anywhere in the world and NEVER have a language barrier again! I don't understand why more people don't use this...I don't recall ever hearing about it, yet the implications of this technology are huge. I would feel MUCH safer goign to another country if I knew that I could always have a tool with me to communicate. It works very fast, so there is barely any delay at all in the process.

Not even a link or app name included in this post?!? why you gotta hold out on us?? :nana:

Have it on my Android. Cool as heck.

Not even a link or app name included in this post?!? why you gotta hold out on us?? :nana:

Oh, sorry lol...I just searched for "google translator" on my iPhone app interface and it pulled it up

Not sure if it's common, but Google has an app for Android that has this functionality, and it's been free as long as I've owned my phone. Not sure on the quality of the translations, but it's cool.

An even neater app is called Edwin on Android. http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.neureau.edwin

You ask it questions, and it speaks to you answers. Stuff like "Where am I?", "Where is the closest hamburger restaurant?", "Where is the closest gas station?", "Whats the weather?", "Convert 5 ounces to cups", etc. and it'll speak the answers back to you.

Pretty cool.

That is awesome! This voice recognition stuff has come along much further than I realized!

Have it on my Android. Cool as heck.

It really is...my roomate is spanish speaking, so I was having some fun with it last night :devil:

Guess you didn't need my wooing idea... I'll just go away.

Nah, don't have much interest in wooing women who are 12 years older than me ;)