Man pays bill with pennies

/dev/null

IMO ... The charge should not stick .... It may have to do more with his behavior than the pennies.

After tuition money, money from my pocket, loans and grants I ended up owing 24 cents to the university. They actually mailed me a bill .... The postage was more than what I owed ... I called them assuming they would not want me to mail them a check .... They said no and my transcripts would be held until my account was settled .... I happened to still be nearby so I drove to the school gave them a quarter and asked for my change.

There's one of these every couple of years and it's the same story. "Legal tender" doesn't mean the entity can't enact reasonable rules about what it accepts for payment (i.e,. 'no bills larger than a $20').

As for the guy, it sounds like he was arrested mostly for being a douchebag. As such, I hope the fine sticks.

I did that once. I remember I was at a high school dance. I had a coke in my hand and was going to get a piece of pizza. 2 kids got in a fight in line behind me and I spilled the coke all over a party pizza. This school administrator who did not like me to begin with said it was my fault and I spilled the coke on the pizza on purpose and I owed the school $12. I got all pennies and put them in a sock I used after basketball practice and gave it to him. Douche. Got to spend the rest of the day in in-school suspension for that then.

I did that once. I remember I was at a high school dance. I had a coke in my hand and was going to get a piece of pizza. 2 kids got in a fight in line behind me and I spilled the coke all over a party pizza. This school administrator who did not like me to begin with said it was my fault and I spilled the coke on the pizza on purpose and I owed the school $12. I got all pennies and put them in a sock I used after basketball practice and gave it to him. Douche. Got to spend the rest of the day in in-school suspension for that then.

In-school suspension is the most ridiculous "punishment" ever created.

You mean I can basically show up in my pajamas, sit in a study hall all day and catch up on my work, AND you are going to bring lunch to me?!? Sounds like a good deal!

I got in-school a couple of times and I remember it being a vacation. Made no sense as a punishment.

You mean I can basically show up in my pajamas, sit in a study hall all day and catch up on my work, AND you are going to bring lunch to me?!? Sounds like a good deal!

I got in-school a couple of times and I remember it being a vacation. Made no sense as a punishment.

A suspension where you get to sit at home vs. a suspension where you still have to go into school? I guess it depends on what the parents are like, but I'd rather stay home.

A suspension where you get to sit at home vs. a suspension where you still have to go into school? I guess it depends on what the parents are like, but I'd rather stay home.

Well that too. Except I had actual parents who cared, so it was easier to hide an in-school from them than a stay-home in my case.

For most trouble kids who dont have parents around, neither are really punishments.

But I guess the school can only do so much, and is just working with what it can.

IMO ... The charge should not stick .... It may have to do more with his behavior than the pennies.

After tuition money, money from my pocket, loans and grants I ended up owing 24 cents to the university. They actually mailed me a bill .... The postage was more than what I owed ... I called them assuming they would not want me to mail them a check .... They said no and my transcripts would be held until my account was settled .... I happened to still be nearby so I drove to the school gave them a quarter and asked for my change.

I agree behavior is a key point here. Nothing would have happened had he presented them with

a sealed box of pennies from his bank. As a bank teller for 35 years,nothing is more annoying

than for any customer to present their transaction in that manner.

Could have used Susan B Anthony dollar coins too!!

Yeah...hand over 25 Susan B Anthonys...and they respond "You need 75 more". Then the hilarity ensues.

I have a few at home...I'm going to have to try that.

:cry:

I tried to pay my windstream bill in all pennies about a week ago and was laughed, yelled and scorned at...I haven't paid yet and am annoyed as heck at them. It was $19.87 for the record. I was not being a jerk, just being patient and logical; there was no policy posted about accepted forms of cash nor was I told when I called the customer number to ask about paying in change....they said it was fine.

My high school the in-school suspension room was in the basement, and at lunchtime they marched them up single file to the cafeteria to get their lunch, then right back to the basement.

He should have used $2 bills. Then he probably would have been arrested for counterfeiting...

I was thinking of that story also....

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/tacobell.asp

Well that too. Except I had actual parents who cared, so it was easier to hide an in-school from them than a stay-home in my case.

Same here. I got a couple of in-school suspensions as well. Brought some music and borrowed a friend's Game Boy, got my work done in about an hour and chilled out for the rest of the day.