soccer reminder

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had a warm-up friendly today against Spain and looked horrible, but they should clean up against Canada, Panama and Gaudeloupe in the group stage. Go USA!

(haters, flame away)

Not having Donovan and Bocanegra definitely hurt the US today. Jermaine Jones really didn't show very much today and I wasn't very impressed with what I saw of Agudelo. Tough "grudge match" today for our boys, but it should serve as a wake up call for Tuesday and the remainder of the Gold Cup.

Gringo, were you able to catch the Champs League final that you were cool enough to remind us about last week? The first half of that match was one of the best I've seen in a while...once Barca put it away by the middle of the second half, the intensity was all but gone on the side of Man.U, but wow, what a great first half.

Looking forward to seeing how the mens team fares, although I'm still not happy that they stuck with Bradley...oh well, what can ya do?

Gringo, were you able to catch the Champs League final that you were cool enough to remind us about last week? The first half of that match was one of the best I've seen in a while...once Barca put it away by the middle of the second half, the intensity was all but gone on the side of Man.U, but wow, what a great first half.

Looking forward to seeing how the mens team fares, although I'm still not happy that they stuck with Bradley...oh well, what can ya do?

Yup, I watched it. Really entertaining game. So so much talent on display. Those damn Spaniards with their unbelievably precise passing! They've been dominating the game for the last three years. That U.S friendly was an absolute clinic. The difference in terms of touch, vision and control was staggering.

I'm really starting to feel like this team has gone as far as it can with Bob Bradley. I'm with you--I'd like to see an elite coach from across the pond with experience winning on a big stage.

Yup, I watched it. Really entertaining game. So so much talent on display. Those damn Spaniards with their unbelievably precise passing! They've been dominating the game for the last three years. That U.S friendly was an absolute clinic. The difference in terms of touch, vision and control was staggering.

I'm really starting to feel like this team has gone as far as it can with Bob Bradley. I'm with you--I'd like to see an elite coach from across the pond with experience winning on a big stage.

Their passing was truly amazing, and although it's easy to say, "I wish the USNMT would watch them and study them", it's just not something that can be easily duplicated. I was truly in awe of how nearly every single pass had purpose and every member of that team worked together to create that ONE opportunity to score. It was like watching sports art, lol.

Yeah, the Bradley thing has bothered me for a while now. With Bradley, the expectations are to put a cohesive, competitive team on the pitch and make some noise when it counts. You bring someone with a legit international resume in here and IMMEDIATELY those expectations rise. You set the bar higher, challenge these young players to grow and learn, and in four years we have a legit contender. It just seems like we're content with the status quo and that's just not acceptable. The climate for US soccer is more ripe than it's been since the 70s, and they need to capitalize on it. The sport has more visibility than ever in this country and they are crazy for not taking advantage of that, IMO.

USA 2, CAN 0

Goals from Altidore and Dempsey. Tim Howard looked absolutely world class, making a couple great saves when he needed to. Overall, it was kind of a boring game, but the US did what they wanted to. They maintained possession and controlled the tempo. They pretty much dominated throughout. If they wanted to be more aggressive, I think it could have been a blowout. They took a fairly conservative approach to secure the win and start off the tournament the right way.

Well done. Definitely some sloppy moments, but good for the first A-team showing in a while, against the most talented Canada team in a long time. They should improve as the tournament goes on. Chances are, they'll meet a very strong Mexico (who won their first game 5-0) in the final on June 25.

USA plays Panama next on Sat. 6/11 at 8pm ET.

Edited by gringo starr

USA 2, CAN 0

Goals from Altidore and Dempsey. Tim Howard looked absolutely world class, making a couple great saves when he needed to. Overall, it was kind of a boring game, but the US did what they wanted to. They maintained possession and controlled the tempo. They pretty much dominated throughout. If they wanted to be more aggressive, I think it could have been a blowout. They took a fairly conservative approach to secure the win and start off the tournament the right way.

Well done. Definitely some sloppy moments, but good for the first A-team showing in a while, against the most talented Canada team in a long time. They should improve as the tournament goes on. Chances are, they'll meet a very strong Mexico (who won their first game 5-0) in the final on June 25.

USA plays Panama next on Sat. 6/11 at 8pm ET.

Thanks for the recap...I wasn't able to see the match, but I'm glad we apparently played well. I think you're right about Mexico, and they are likely going to give us a good whoopin' if we don't bring our A game. I don't remember his name (Hernandez?), but they have a young kid who is like a phenom. I think he plays for Man.U or Barca, cause I'm pretty sure I remember them talking about him during the champs final the other day. Should be a great match if and when it goes down.

Thanks for the recap...I wasn't able to see the match, but I'm glad we apparently played well. I think you're right about Mexico, and they are likely going to give us a good whoopin' if we don't bring our A game. I don't remember his name (Hernandez?), but they have a young kid who is like a phenom. I think he plays for Man.U or Barca, cause I'm pretty sure I remember them talking about him during the champs final the other day. Should be a great match if and when it goes down.

Yup, Javier Hernandez. Goes by "Chicharito." He plays for Man. United. Natural goal scorer. Amazing player.

Yup, Javier Hernandez. Goes by "Chicharito." He plays for Man. United. Natural goal scorer. Amazing player.

Sure would be nice if we had one of those "natural goal scorers" lol

The Gringos stunk up the place on Saturday and lost to Panama 2-1.

A sad day in U.S. soccer history. We had never lost a game in the Gold Cup group stage before. And it's the first loss ever to Panama. (A glorious day in Panamanian soccer history no doubt).

Next up is the final group game on Tues. (6/14) night against Guadeloupe. I'm hoping for a much much better showing.

The Gringos stunk up the place on Saturday and lost to Panama 2-1.

A sad day in U.S. soccer history. We had never lost a game in the Gold Cup group stage before. And it's the first loss ever to Panama. (A glorious day in Panamanian soccer history no doubt).

Next up is the final group game on Tues. (6/14) night against Guadeloupe. I'm hoping for a much much better showing.

Boy, it's a good thing we kept Bradley around... <_<

I know it's beating a dead horse, but for fux sake you have legit coaches with plenty of international success WANTING to coach here. Nothing against Bradley personally, I"m sure he's a great guy. But come one...if the powers that be for mens soccer in this country are serious about us taking the next step, then we need to upgrade the pedigree at the helm.

I just don't get it...

Boy, it's a good thing we kept Bradley around... <_<

I know it's beating a dead horse, but for fux sake you have legit coaches with plenty of international success WANTING to coach here. Nothing against Bradley personally, I"m sure he's a great guy. But come one...if the powers that be for mens soccer in this country are serious about us taking the next step, then we need to upgrade the pedigree at the helm.

I just don't get it...

Yeah, the same pattern keeps getting repeated: they come out flat, give up the first goal (or two!) and then try to fight back in the second half. They did it all throughout the world cup. And they've done it way too many times against inferior CONCACAF competition.

It is true that the teams in this region are improving quite a bit, but I've seen enough to seriously question this team's preparation. We definitely saw evidence of their heart from the way they played from behind in the WC. And we know they have enough talent to dominate in CONCACAF. It's time to add the element of INTELLIGENCE so that we can move to the next level.

3 things you can count on: death, taxes, and the US soccer team playing like a bunch of kids with Down's Syndrome anytime there's ever anything on the line.

They're the LeBron James of soccer...without the talent.

Edited by Ramius

Yeah, the same pattern keeps getting repeated: they come out flat, give up the first goal (or two!) and then try to fight back in the second half. They did it all throughout the world cup. And they've done it way too many times against inferior CONCACAF competition.

It is true that the teams in this region are improving quite a bit, but I've seen enough to seriously question this team's preparation. We definitely saw evidence of their heart from the way they played from behind in the WC. And we know they have enough talent to dominate in CONCACAF. It's time to add the element of INTELLIGENCE so that we can move to the next level.

Exactly...to take nothing away from the Central American teams that are stepping it up, there's simply no excuse for this team to be regressing. Intelligence and strategy is exactly what's missing. That pattern you speak of is courtesy of Mr. Bradley, because I've seen him explain it in an interview before. They purposely play a "counterpunch" type of game, and it's complete crap. It makes no sense to waste an entire HALF of the match assessing what the other team is doing, and then hope to figure it out and come from behind in the second. It's absolutely ridiculous and it's time to change that crap.

As I said in the other thread, I don't expect them to play like Barca. Nobody does. But the way Barca models their attack should be emulated, particularly the way nearly EVERY single pass has a distinct purpose and thought behind it. Further, when the shot is there, you have got to know when to take it. This is one of my criticisms of Donovan, but I think he's improved in this area quite a bit. The US team would get an opportunity in the box, but they'd continue to pass it like a bunch of morons. Nobody would ever take the shot. Some of these young guys are devoid of that trigger-shy mentality, thankfully. They just don't seem to ever really feel confident with what they're doing on offense, and I think that speaks to coaching more than anything.

Ugh...

3 things you can count on: death, taxes, and the US soccer team playing like a bunch of kids with Down's Syndrome anytime there's ever anything on the line.

They're the LeBron James of soccer...without the talent.

I really thought they had turned the corner with that Confederations Cup win over Spain a while back...guess not.

USA 1 Guadeloupe 0

They got the win and dominated possession, so why am I so pissed off? Because I've never witnessed a more candy-assed display of poor finishing in my life.

Did anyone else see Dempsey's un-goal in the 76th minute? I know almost nobody is following this, but please tell me somebody else saw this $#%&ing embarrassment.

Altidore's goal was a thing of beauty. And there were good performances from Bocanegra, Cherundolo and Michael Bradley. Dempsey had about 8 excellent scoring chances and came away with nothing.

I don't know why this team continues to struggle against nations the size of %$ing Tonawanda. I like Bob Bradley as a person. I respect him. However, he needs to be fired.

USA 1 Guadeloupe 0

They got the win and dominated possession, so why am I so pissed off? Because I've never witnessed a more candy-assed display of poor finishing in my life.

Did anyone else see Dempsey's un-goal in the 76th minute? I know almost nobody is following this, but please tell me somebody else saw this $#%&ing embarrassment.

Altidore's goal was a thing of beauty. And there were good performances from Bocanegra, Cherundolo and Michael Bradley. Dempsey had about 8 excellent scoring chances and came away with nothing.

I don't know why this team continues to struggle against nations the size of %$ing Tonawanda. I like Bob Bradley as a person. I respect him. However, he needs to be fired.

Misery loves company lol.

We're only a year removed from the last WC...if they can him now, we'll have plenty of time for the new coach to adjust and make crucial decisions before the next one. There's about a 2% chance it'll actually happen, but I'm gonna keep hoping someone comes to their senses...(talking to YOU Sunil)

Wow, Gringo, you weren't kidding about Jozy's goal...it's been a long time since I've seen a US player hit a rocket like this from distance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixhRG5PK_Y

I didn't see the game cause I don't have FSC in my new place yet, so I appreciate you posting your thoughts about these matches...I keep forgetting the damn tourney is in the US, too...just no excuse for us not dominating.

Just based on some of the highlights I've been watching, what is going on with the manner in which we clear the ball out of our end? That is some HALF-ASSED SHIZNIT!! No discipline on this team at all...I don't get it.

Wow, this is some uninspired ball we're playing today...

And I just saw the DUMBEST play in the history of US futbal....if any of you guys have access to the match, watch around the 78' mark, just prior to the Dempsey goal. Donovan and Edu (I think it was Edu...) had a two on one with the goalie, and instead of ONE of them just taking the FUGGIN SHOT, they fart around with it, the goalie moves forward, and when they pass it yet AGAIN they get called for offsides :doh::wallbash:

At least Dempsey showed up today...unreal.

I don't even know why the Jamaicans showed up today...it's like the US vs the zombies from The Walking Dead out there.

Edited by ajzepp

Wow, this is some uninspired ball we're playing today...

And I just saw the DUMBEST play in the history of US futbal....if any of you guys have access to the match, watch around the 78' mark, just prior to the Dempsey goal. Donovan and Edu (I think it was Edu...) had a two on one with the goalie, and instead of ONE of them just taking the FUGGIN SHOT, they fart around with it, the goalie moves forward, and when they pass it yet AGAIN they get called for offsides :doh::wallbash:

At least Dempsey showed up today...unreal.

I don't even know why the Jamaicans showed up today...it's like the US vs the zombies from The Walking Dead out there.

Yeah, that was a DUMB play! I was yelling at the tv. However, my vote for dumbest goes to Dempsey in the last game. In case you missed it.

I was glad to see much improved play overall today. And Jamaica is no joke--they have some talent. The comically poor finishing though continues to exasperate. I feel like the team rallied when Altidore got hurt early in the first half. Jermaine Jones, Bradley and Dempsey all played very well I thought. The back line was fairly solid. No major breakdowns--that is, until Capt. Charlie Blackmouth did his best to hand Jamaica an easy goal right at the end.

Looks like the U.S. has to play Panama again in the semifinal, on Wednesday. The other semifinal is Mexico vs. Honduras.

Edited by gringo starr