Dad drops daughter to catch foul ball

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BECAUSE YOU ARE A GROWN ASS MAN WHO HAS NO USE FOR A BASEBALL AND IT WOULD MEAN THE WORLD TO THE KID!!

You guys are obviously taking this waaaay too seriously, especially Mr Basement Collection.

And if you want to talk about a generation that acts "entitled", then I suggest checking out the 33 year old guy that needs a foul ball more than a child. Or the guy who wants people to buy him a new beer if he spills his... :rolleyes:

It's a worthless souvenir but something that kid will remember his entire life. Instead, they will forever remember the jerkoff that kept the ball. Congrats douchebags!

It's a classy and grown-up move to toss the foul ball to the kid. Its the way Ive ALWAYS seen it done at EVERY baseball game I go to. Good job being the exception. :rolleyes:

And if there is more than one kid, just give it to the closest one. Pick a favorite. Whatever. It doesnt matter which kid gets it, only that the grown up who has no use or need for the ball made a kid's day by tossing him the souvenir. It's not that difficult to be nice.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. To this one poster... the ball did mean something. It wasn't a useless. The guy has been going to hundreds of games, spanning the course of his life all the while hoping to catch a foul ball. After 33 years, he finally does. And he's supposed to just give it to some kid that's been to a couple of games? Just because he's a kid? I'd disagree.

Now, as others have pointed out; had he stole the ball from the kid or in some way used his size to out gain the kid... then yeah that's be dickish. But, from his account, that wasn't the case.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. To this one poster... the ball did mean something. It wasn't a useless. The guy has been going to hundreds of games, spanning the course of his life all the while hoping to catch a foul ball. After 33 years, he finally does. And he's supposed to just give it to some kid that's been to a couple of games? Just because he's a kid? I'd disagree.

Now, as others have pointed out; had he stole the ball from the kid or in some way used his size to out gain the kid... then yeah that's be dickish. But, from his account, that wasn't the case.

Very well put. My thoughts exactly. I will never understand why people think that he is just supposed to give the ball to the kid regardless of the fact that it landed in his lap and he didn't do anything obnoxious to catch it.

No one ever said life is fair, but I guess that little kid will be forever scarred now that he didn't get that foul ball given to him. Plus, having the kid stare back at me for the entire game would aggravate me. Couldn't the adult he was with have told him to stop staring?

What do people expect from a society filled with adults that act like oversized children. Even if you are going on your 33rd year and 250th game... Adults need to act like honorable adults... It should never come down to a child learing over... It should be instinct to just give it up... That has always been the tradition at ballparks.

Really? I didn't expect to hear that from you.

I think it's pathetic that kids *expect* to get the ball nowadays. Like I said, an entitled generation. And I thought you would've said the same thing. ;)

I sense a Congressional bill in the works.

Every kid who goes to a professional ball game must be given a baseball, regardless of where they sat.

Hell, every kid in America should be given a baseball signed by every major league player. That should be a mandate year in and year out. Can't let little Bobby and Tamajiki feel like they're less of a person than any other kid in America.

It's the thought that counts.

And then the ball goes right through his hands! What a choad.

True story..used to go to quite a few O's games never get a ball close to me. About 10 years ago, have seats about half way up the stands between 3rd and left field foul pole. Not one, but two high fly balls come to me in the first three innigs, both hit me right in the hands, and both bounce right off my hands to the guy below me :wallbash::censored: .

Those things are hard to catch barehanded. :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1

True story..used to go to quite a few O's games never get a ball close to me. About 10 years ago, have seats about half way up the stands between 3rd and left field foul pole. Not one, but two high fly balls come to me in the first three innigs, both hit me right in the hands, and both bounce right off my hands to the guy below me :wallbash::censored: .

Those things are hard to catch barehanded. :thumbsup:

D'oh! Did they boo you?

Yes, I suspect the barehand is tough. I've actually corralled two foul balls in my life (one each at Yankee and Shea Stadiums) and both times it was on a ricochet. And no, I didn't give either of them to a kid! :lol:

This woman should be tracked down and beaten...

youtube.com/watch?v=6locBvdMJtw

If the kid wanted it, she would have fought for it harder. The woman won the battle, fair and square...

...no, just kidding. I'm not sure what I'd have done, had I witnessed that...but it probably would have involved making the kid feel better by pointing out just how entirely small, petty, and immature that B word is, then encouraging her to go to the woman and say "You are a very small, petty, immature woman. B word."

• 1 month later...

Anyone see this? Kid pouts because the ball didn't come to him. Should the woman have given the kid the ball, just because he was pouting about it?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17080537&topic_id&c_id=sf&tcid=fb_video_17080537&v=3

Of course the station sent the kid and dad a ball anyway. Morale of the story: Pout to get your way.

Anyone see this? Kid pouts because the ball didn't come to him. Should the woman have given the kid the ball, just because he was pouting about it?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17080537&topic_id&c_id=sf&tcid=fb_video_17080537&v=3

Of course the station sent the kid and dad a ball anyway. Morale of the story: Pout to get your way.

What a spoiled brat.

For all the spoiled kids (and the many selfish adults) along comes a kid who realizes it's just a freakin ball.

http://sports.yahoo....urn=mlb-wp13421

Cool story, but the article itself is crap:

"hat sort of criticism is ridiculous, of course, because you can hardly expect a child of that age to have control of his emotions or any perspective beyond that exciting — and ultimately, disappointing —moment."

Really? We can't expect our children to not act like spoiled brats? Gimme a break.

Cool story, but the article itself is crap:

"hat sort of criticism is ridiculous, of course, because you can hardly expect a child of that age to have control of his emotions or any perspective beyond that exciting — and ultimately, disappointing —moment."

Really? We can't expect our children to not act like spoiled brats? Gimme a break.

Oh c'mon Fez, that is not fair. You do not have kids, correct?

Oh c'mon Fez, that is not fair. You do not have kids, correct?

Nope, I don't. But I have friends with kids and those kids don't act like brats when they don't get their way.

I venture to guess that most people on this board weren't able to get away with acting like that either when they were kids.

Nope, I don't. But I have friends with kids and those kids don't act like brats when they don't get their way.

I venture to guess that most people on this board weren't able to get away with acting like that either when they were kids.

Doesn't matter how well disciplined your kid is, they are going to pout at that age. At least in my experience.

Doesn't matter how well disciplined your kid is, they are going to pout at that age. At least in my experience.

There's a huge difference between being pouting and throwing a temper tantrum. He was clearly doing the latter with his constant huffing and puffing and crossing his arms being all pissed off. The kid was being a brat, and a well behaved child would never act like that.

In this country we don't give kids enough credit. This feeds into the "let them do whatever they want" mentality. When my wife and I were in London in 2002, those kids were all VERY well behaved. They were taking in culture in the museums, having respectful fun in the wax museum, etc. Fast forward to our trip to Washington, DC, and all of the kids (same age range) were being obnoxious twits. I firmly believe that it's a cultural thing; many parents put their kids on a pedestal and it shows.