spiller

lets not forgot this kids talent.... this is a HECK of a catch against a very very good CB. I'd like to see Chan split him our wide more and empty the backfield. it really presents some matchup issues. just putting him on the outside, it forces a CB to shift and a LB to cover a guy like Nelson in the slot.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81d340e1/Spiller-41-yard-catch

Guy wasn't on the field because he couldn't run the plays right. Honestly Spiller was a huge reach because he is not workhorse running back and a first rounder should never be a "waterbug". Hope he does better this year but don't expect more than Reggie bush out of him.

Guy wasn't on the field because he couldn't run the plays right. Honestly Spiller was a huge reach because he is not workhorse running back and a first rounder should never be a "waterbug". Hope he does better this year but don't expect more than Reggie bush out of him.

Reggie Bush would be better in IMO

Chris Johnson: 5'11", 191

Jamaal Charles: 5'11", 199

LeSean McCoy: 5'11", 208

CJ Spiller: 5'11", 196

It's undisputed Spiller's rookie campaign was unimpressive, but let's not start making generalizations about whether he has the physical stature to be a featured back.

It's undisputed Spiller's rookie campaign was unimpressive, but let's not start making generalizations about whether he has the physical stature to be a featured back.

Jamaal Charles was a 3rd round pick.

LeSean McCoy was a mid 2nd round pick.

Edited by Bangarang

Jamaal Charles was a 3rd round pick.

LeSean McCoy was a mid 2nd round pick.

It's irrelevant where they were drafted; they are both clearly featured backs on their teams, at a size very similar to Spiller. I was solely addressing the comment that CJ is a "waterbug," as there is ample proof throughout the league that RBs of similar stature can be "the man" as well.

FWIW, Spiller wouldn't have lasted until the 2nd round even if the Bills didn't pick him at #9.

This was the biggest issue. The coaches and him all admitted that he didn't know the playbook as well as he should.

I think he has the potential to break out once he learns the playbook.

This was the biggest issue. The coaches and him all admitted that he didn't know the playbook as well as he should.

I think he has the potential to break out once he learns the playbook.

When was this noted? All I recall is:

"I still think he’s going to be a very good to great player for the Buffalo Bills. There’s no question in my mind about that," Gailey said. "I think he’s got to do better at ball security and pass protection. Those are the two areas he’s got to get better at. I’m not telling you anything we haven’t told him."

"I think I’ll do a better job of creating ways to use him more," Gailey said. "When you are establishing what you’re trying to get done offensively, you have a hard time deviating too much to do things for one guy and to create things for one guy because we were in the process of evaluating everybody and trying to create things for everybody on our offense. It was a ‘getting to know you’ year.

"Just because it didn’t work out, that wasn’t his fault," Gailey continued. "I don’t even think it was the process’s fault of who to draft. I think it is more the product of the situation and us being in our first year. If we would have been in the third year and taken him, I don’t think it would have had the same results. So, I think there are a lot of factors. We put the expectations on the ones – on the first guys that are taken. Everybody in this room out there in the football kingdom puts expectations on ones. That’s what we do."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/25/2012790/jamaal-charles-cj-spiller-chan-gailey

Workhorse backs are so 1990's. Spiller will be a playmaker for us.

I can't find the quote that I was talking about, but I recall the announcers of one of the games discussing it.

And don't get me wrong, I see a LOT of potential in the kid, and I'm excited to see what he can become, and hopefully that happens this year!

Edited by Fitz's Beard

Thurman Thomas 5'10", 199 when drafted.

Edited by UpperDeck

People have this stupid idea that CJ is ONLY a waterbug RB. It's not true. The guy has some decent size for a RB. Sure he's not 215+ like a Lynch but he's no different from guys like C. Johnson. He will be more of a future back with time when he learns the playbook, NFL defenses and blocking schemes. He has all the talent to be a special player and there is no doubt that he will be good to very good once all that talent and his experience comes together.

I can't believe there are so many fans on here who regret and argue against the Spiller pick. He had some things working against him last year - namely, IMO, a coach who didn't rely that heavily on the run (Fred Jackson is a heck of a RB - if Gailey committed more to running it, both backs would have had more yards. It's not as if Freddy lost his talent, all of a sudden, last year.) So, if Spiller were given more opportunities, he would have had more yards. Also, as I kind of said, the offense just wasn't working right in the run game. I mean, it wasn't Fred and CJ who were average; I think it was the team's inability to adapt quickly to the system - and the offenses success passing, which made it look like Spiller was lost. Also, the kid was used to being way, way better than most of the people around him, which, when you think about it, made it too easy for him to grow up relying mostly on pure talent. He didn't, I'd guess, learn to use blocks and be a blocker himself, as much as he now needs to.

What this kid has is exceptional physical talents - he is still a specimen even among the elite athletes of the NFL. He has a very solid character, a real will to be great, and the discipline to learn to adapt to the NFL game, and I believe when he fully gets it, he'll be one of the great running backs in the NFL. We aren't going to be regretting this pick in a year or two.

Think about it. When the lights go on for him we'll have an offense with a very good WR corps, a nice group of complimentary backs in Fred and the rookie, and maybe even a high round, franchise type QB. His best games are all in front of him; we have a back who can nail the 50+ yard touchdown runs - there aren't many in the NFL who can do that - give it another year with him.

Your comparison is weak. “waterbug” is a term essentially coined by Gailey which IMO means a dancer and someone who is hard to catch. I think guys like Parrish when I hear waterbug, or that really small Ole Miss RB who went in the 2nd round to KC - he has dreads and his name is slipping me right now.

Johnson and Charels are not waterbugs. They are decisive, one cut and go running backs who run the ladder very well and can also outrun everyone on the field. Their decisiveness make them play faster than their timed speed. Reading their blocks allows them to get into space and use their speed.

Spiller (at least in his rookie year) was very hesitant and played slower than his timed speed (which is still slower than Johnson and Charels but who really cares). He would rarely make a cut and get up field. He didnt read his blocks and just bounced everything outside. The one or two runs I recall of him being decisive and running north and south he did gain a good amount of yards, but that was 2 or 3 times all year.

You are correct that they are of similar height and weight but their play for the most part was nothing like those other two. Being 5'10ish and 195lbs ish doesnt make you a good running back.

Your comparison is weak. “waterbug” is a term essentially coined by Gailey which IMO means a dancer and someone who is hard to catch. I think guys like Parrish when I hear waterbug, or that really small Ole Miss RB who went in the 2nd round to KC - he has dreads and his name is slipping me right now.

Johnson and Charels are not waterbugs. They are decisive, one cut and go running backs who run the ladder very well and can also outrun everyone on the field. Their decisiveness make them play faster than their timed speed. Reading their blocks allows them to get into space and use their speed.

Spiller (at least in his rookie year) was very hesitant and played slower than his timed speed (which is still slower than Johnson and Charels but who really cares). He would rarely make a cut and get up field. He didnt read his blocks and just bounced everything outside. The one or two runs I recall of him being decisive and running north and south he did gain a good amount of yards, but that was 2 or 3 times all year.

You are correct that they are of similar height and weight but their play for the most part was nothing like those other two. Being 5'10ish and 195lbs ish doesnt make you a good running back.

You've just read a whole lot into a post that simply provided height and weight measurements to dispute a claim that Spiller isn't "big enough" to withstand the rigors of being a featured RB. Other than that, I don't take any issue with your analysis.

Edited by eball