Japan's new Suicide Crews

Wow, this is pretty amazing. Not to criticize my own peeps, but I wonder how many retirees would be leaving Florida to volunteer if this happened here? I actually think quite a few would, but not sure we'd get the same turn out Japan did...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/31/japan.nuclear.suicide/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Kazuko Sasaki, 69, the co-founder of the group, says she has a number of personal reasons why she wants to work at the plant. "My generation, the old generation, promoted the nuclear plants. If we don't take responsibility, who will?"

Pretty amazing indeed.

Wow, this is pretty amazing. Not to criticize my own peeps, but I wonder how many retirees would be leaving Florida to volunteer if this happened here? I actually think quite a few would, but not sure we'd get the same turn out Japan did...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/31/japan.nuclear.suicide/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Pretty amazing indeed.

How very Japanese.

Isnt it though?!? Even while reading the article I couldnt help but say to myself "OF COURSE they are volunteering".

I was thinking more "Of course they're volunteering...to die. In the service of others."

It's simultaneous the best and worst of modern Japan.

No wonder Japan has survived for so long. What can I give instead of what I get from my country. What a outrageous concept. Reading that made me want to cry.

Edited by Dante

No wonder Japan has survived for so long. What can I give instead of what I get from my country. What a outrageous concept. Reading that made me want to cry.

That hit me on an emotional level, too. It's clear that for many of them, there wasn't any internal debate or pause at all. It was something they felt was their duty, and that was that. It's fitting to read something like that around the time of Memorial Day, because I think it's a disgrace how many people in this country have forgotten about those who have made similar sacrifices and gestures for our future. Dr D makes an interesting point about how it would go down if it were taking place in America.

Edited by ajzepp

I was thinking more "Of course they're volunteering...to die. In the service of others."

It's simultaneous the best and worst of modern Japan.

That's exactly what I meant too, although Im not so sure it's the "worst" part of modern Japan, for reasons that Dante and AJ point out.

If it were in America, they would be drafting 18- to 30-year-olds to do it.

Not a doubt in my mind.

No, but we would be lionizing as "True American heros, God bless them" everyone with radiation sickness...or a tummy ache...or who knew someone who may once have had a tummy ache at one time. Then we'd turn the nuke plant into a national monument/shrine, and celebrate "National Energy Independence Awareness Day" on the anniversary of the accident every year, which would be a national holiday as enacted under the USA NUCLEAR FAMILIES Act (because who wants to be against nuclear families?...we'll figure out what the acronym stands for after we pass it). Then we'd hold a slew of congressional hearings, where the congresscritters who swore to "get to the bottom of this tragedy!" would get as much face time as they can, give no one else a chance to speak, then come to the conclusion that everything they thought before the hearing was absolutely correct anyway. In the meantime, the second cousin twice-removed of a "first responder" is bitching because her rights are being infringed by letting a developer build a subdivision ten miles from the accident site, some other nitwit is wondering why people are being "allowed to" die of radiation sickness and why didn't the government warn anyone that radiation can be released from a nuclear accident, Michael Moore's making another $20M of his "documentary" about how the accident was caused by every wealthy person on the planet except himself, and for some inexplicable reason the logging industry is getting billions in kickbacks from the "Nuclear Power Revitalization Initiative" section of the USA NUCLEAR FAMILIES Act, because none of the three people who actually read the 2500-page bill caught the loophole that allowed it.

And radiation's still pouring out of the plant five years later...because three days later American Idol was on, and everyone forgot about it.

No, but we would be lionizing as "True American heros, God bless them" everyone with radiation sickness...or a tummy ache...or who knew someone who may once have had a tummy ache at one time. Then we'd turn the nuke plant into a national monument/shrine, and celebrate "National Energy Independence Awareness Day" on the anniversary of the accident every year, which would be a national holiday as enacted under the USA NUCLEAR FAMILIES Act (because who wants to be against nuclear families?...we'll figure out what the acronym stands for after we pass it). Then we'd hold a slew of congressional hearings, where the congresscritters who swore to "get to the bottom of this tragedy!" would get as much face time as they can, give no one else a chance to speak, then come to the conclusion that everything they thought before the hearing was absolutely correct anyway. In the meantime, the second cousin twice-removed of a "first responder" is bitching because her rights are being infringed by letting a developer build a subdivision ten miles from the accident site, some other nitwit is wondering why people are being "allowed to" die of radiation sickness and why didn't the government warn anyone that radiation can be released from a nuclear accident, Michael Moore's making another $20M of his "documentary" about how the accident was caused by every wealthy person on the planet except himself, and for some inexplicable reason the logging industry is getting billions in kickbacks from the "Nuclear Power Revitalization Initiative" section of the USA NUCLEAR FAMILIES Act, because none of the three people who actually read the 2500-page bill caught the loophole that allowed it.

And radiation's still pouring out of the plant five years later...because three days later American Idol was on, and everyone forgot about it.

:lol: That was masterful. :lol:

That really is masterful, I agree.

You forgot the lime green glow-in-the-dark magnetic ribbons that you stick on cars, and rubber band bracelets, that someone will get rich selling to people who want to show their support for the brave radiation workers because one-tenth of one percent of the net profits, up to $1000, will be donated to charity.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot