NFL in Toronto

makes a lot of sense. that would be a great thing to have a rivalry with a team so close to home. i don't think we would see a drop in ticket sales or merchandise. and it would make the home game for this one really something...unless we are still under contract and have to play that "home game" in toronto...that would just suck!

One they don't have the statium needed.

Two there is no show of support from the local fans.

Three it would stuggle to support a thousand employees ,not thousands and thousands.

Four Buffalo is bring the NFL to toranto now.Good move on their part to show l;eague that it would not pay to offer a franchise to Toranto.

Five Buffalo benifits from a Candian fan base of aroud 12000 ea home game.If there was a "Toranto" team Buffalo would lose that support and the league would have a weak franchise to deal with.(two counting Toranto)

Sixth the NFL will in time become international.There is nothing you or I will be able to do about it.There is just too much money in places like Lyondon,Paris,Berlin,Mexico City,Tokyo,etc,etc, etc.The NFL only knows one thing for sure,it will go where the money is.

Actually if Buffalo had been moved years ago, then Toranto would have been in the NFL sites,but with Buffalo there and with them playing a few games in Toranto I believe they have effectively removed Toranto as a possible site.

Three it would stuggle to support a thousand employees ,not thousands and thousands.

Four Buffalo is bring the NFL to toranto now.Good move on their part to show l;eague that it would not pay to offer a franchise to Toranto.

Five Buffalo benifits from a Candian fan base of aroud 12000 ea home game.If there was a "Toranto" team Buffalo would lose that support and the league would have a weak franchise to deal with.(two counting Toranto)

Sixth the NFL will in time become international.There is nothing you or I will be able to do about it.There is just too much money in places like Lyondon,Paris,Berlin,Mexico City,Tokyo,etc,etc, etc.The NFL only knows one thing for sure,it will go where the money is.

Actually if Buffalo had been moved years ago, then Toranto would have been in the NFL sites,but with Buffalo there and with them playing a few games in Toranto I believe they have effectively removed Toranto as a possible site.

Lyondon and Toranto be damned! I just want my team to stay in Bufallo!

I agree with everything except for having teams in countries outside of Mexico or Canada (and I don't mean Toronto). The plane flights/time differences would make it too hard.

There is no doubt that trying to manage an NFL team in Toronto would be a challenge and in fact would be a big one. However, the difference between the entreprenuer and the normal person is that some folks love and yearn for the risk and danger of a challenge.

Though I am quite certain that you and others are correct about many of these challenges, I am also quite sure that there are individuals and businesses with a lot of capital available who would relish taking on this challenge. In particular the fact that one of these entities is Rogers cable which not only has the resources but the avowed interest and the sometimes seemingly idiotic use of capital to explore this route seems to me to make this move a pretty viable possibility.

Beyond this potential into the details, I think that many of the issues you raise actually miss what is going on out there in terms of pursuing profit through this action. For example, I think you and many others place far too much attention to the stadium and crowd interest issues. I think it is a mistake that many seem to calculate that this is the market. Used to be the primary marker but not anymore.

TV is the market.

The money and profit is produced not by selling tickets to folks like you and me to attend the games and buy beer and programs. The real market are the eyeballs watching the game. The real money comes from advertisers looking to give the team owners cash so they can advertise to these eyeballs.

My guess is a new stadium will be built. The city fathers and mothers will support this simply because it will be a chance to revitalize some brownfield area. The new stadium will likely be notable most because is is actually so small and creates new intimacy for the fans.

The small size can be useful to create scarcity in the market place.

The new stadium would actually be designed to serve the interests of the true cash cow and true audience, TV watchers. The actual game attendees do play an important role but in essence they are a great prop for storytelling to the true cash cow TV watchers.

My guess is that Rogers is carefully looking at the metrics of the game. However, the number of attendees is a secondary metric to how many Toronto and Canadian eyeballs were pulled to watch car, beer and soap ads as part of the game.

I think you also make a mistake in weighing the impact on the Buffalo vs Toronto fan base. In the soon to be next NFL the primary value that the Bills will provide is that they are an original AFL team which when eyeballs from Mexico City, Tokyo, Toronto or even Beijing get signed on they are joining the tradition of the old NFL and teams like the Buffalo Bills.

My GUESS is that the Ralph gets retired as a stadium and that the new stadium may hold as few as 50,000 fans creating a scarcity which allows for higher ticket prices to fewer people allowing the same profit but needing even fewer employees.

Any theory like the one you lay out is not very convincing because it does not describe what the new economic reality will be but instead dwells in shortcomings in the old market.

Fans will still be important as they are now in the old market. However their importance will stem from them being extras to help tell compelling stories to the true market of TV watchers. They will be secondary as a true cash generator and ultimately you will be correct that the NFL invariably goes where the cash is.

The only way it would work is if the Bills go away , weather it be them that moves to T.O or they go somewhere else . Plus the fact that the CFL will be pissed if the NFL comes to town on a full time basis .

I for one hope it never happens !! I really don't even like the Bills losing a home game during the season & screwing our home town fans out of a home game but hey if it really helps to keep our team in Buffalo i along with others i think will take it .

The NFL is an American sport & should be kept in America & as long as the likes of Jerry Jones , Robert Kraft , & Richardson , aren't aloud to get there way (by stomping their feet) & the revenue sharing is kept the way it has been or better the Bills will be able to stay viable in the NFL & stay home where they belong , but if it goes away so will the Bills ....

Lyondon and Toranto be damned! I just want my team to stay in Bufallo!

AMEN KEEP AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN AMERICA !!!!!

Yes, the NFL is an American sport but just as basketball the way it was invented and the way we play it is an American sport where now some its best players are folks named Nowitzski or Genobili from other countries so to that even though the current NFL is an American sport, American developed football is bigger than the NFL (if not simply ask the NCAA or watch the TV show Friday Night Lights.

I am convinced that the best thing for American football right now is to in fact see the game grow beyond the inefficient, money grubbing and ironically social compact based NFL to see creation of an entity I call the NewFL which is actually managed by the players (and the talented tenth or lead them) on the free market principles which have made the American economy become a world leader.

The NFL team owners ironically have laid out the path to actually accomplishing this task. The team owners overplayed their hand and have had the threat of a free market caused by decertification of the NFLPA to force them into accepting a CBA in the late 80s which made workers their partners and then have a renewed CBA shoved down their throats in the last negotiation.

The owners have locked out the players which by rule allows them to go to the courts. It will be interesting to see if our supposedly leaning conservative courts allow the individual rights of athletes to be abridged by the draft without the figleaf of participation by the NFLPA.

I think American football is an entertaining display of team sports which is good enough to be valued by humans around the world. I am amazed you have such little faith in the game of football you seem afraid to share it with others.

My sense is that the owners WERE necessary to get the game off the ground when men like Mr. Ralph were willing to take a fiscal risk and even curmudgeons like Halas were also true sportsmen.

However, there are ample sources of capital in today's economy and the Green Bay Packers have demonstrated that management can be famed out and administrated properly without the cult of personality utilized by Halas, the mara and the Rooneys who were essential to the founding of the game.

The current team owners are an economic inefficiency who appear set on forfeiting their remaining asset through silliness like the current lockout.

The only way it would work is if the Bills go away , weather it be them that moves to T.O or they go somewhere else . Plus the fact that the CFL will be pissed if the NFL comes to town on a full time basis .

I for one hope it never happens !! I really don't even like the Bills losing a home game during the season & screwing our home town fans out of a home game but hey if it really helps to keep our team in Buffalo i along with others i think will take it .

The NFL is an American sport & should be kept in America & as long as the likes of Jerry Jones , Robert Kraft , & Richardson , aren't aloud to get there way (by stomping their feet) & the revenue sharing is kept the way it has been or better the Bills will be able to stay viable in the NFL & stay home where they belong , but if it goes away so will the Bills ....

AMEN KEEP AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN AMERICA !!!!!