Which Harry Potter film was the best?

major

I've only recently begun to appreciate the Potter films. It got me thinking, which one is the best. I'd have to say ORDER OF THE PHOENIX.

Similarly, if you had to pick a favorite film from another franchise, which franchise would it be and which one is tops in your estimation? For example, Godfather 2 is the best in that series (in my opinion) and Empire Strikes Best is the best in the original Star Wars trilogy.

Look forward to hearing which film franchise favorite you pick.

I've gotta go with the first, "Sorcerer's Stone" that introduced everything.

"The Empire Strikes Back" is everyone's favorite. I don't care what they say.

Also, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the best Indiana Jones. And to consider it was done in '81....

Oh, and it's not a franchise as such, but David Tennant is the best of the 11 regenerated Doctors on "Doctor Who."

Edited by UConn James

I honestly had very little interest in this franchise after seeing the first film, but I kept up with the subsequent entries regardless due to having a few friends who really encouraged me to do so. Anyway, I will admit that the last two films (Deathly Hallows pt 1 and whatever the one was that came before it) sufficiently held my attention. I enjoyed the darker aspect of the subject matter, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing the final installment...on bluray, of course...not in the theater.

Funny, my two favorite film franchises are The Godfather and Planet of the Apes...in both series, I like #2 best, just slightly ahead of #1...that would be "The Godfather 2" and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes"...

I've gotta go with the first, "Sorcerer's Stone" that introduced everything.

"The Empire Strikes Back" is everyone's favorite. I don't care what they say.

Also, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was the best Indiana Jones. And to consider it was done in '81....

Oh, and it's not a franchise as such, but David Tennant is the best of the 11 regenerated Doctors on "Doctor Who."

Maybe it is an age thing, but I loved the original "Star Wars" (I was 12 when it came out) but didn't really like any of the rest of them..."Empire" was pretty good, but the freshness of the series was already old, for me, by the time it came out...I thought "Return of the Jedi" was pretty bad, and I hated the 4th one (or the first one, if you will, "Phantom Menace") so much, I never saw the final two. I have heard, they are both pretty good, but I have zero interest in either...that first was pure magic though...I have never been as captivated by a movie, before, or since...much like I would imagine kids of all ages were dazzled by "The Wizard of Oz" back in 1939.

I have never seen a "Harry Potter" or "Lord of the Rings" movie...I have been tempted a few times, but always pull away.

Lots of people feel that way, but I'm sorry; nobody beats Tom Baker as the Doctor.

Funny, my two favorite film franchises are The Godfather and Planet of the Apes...in both series, I like #2 best, just slightly ahead of #1...that would be "The Godfather 2" and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes"...

Maybe it is an age thing, but I loved the original "Star Wars" (I was 12 when it came out) but didn't really like any of the rest of them..."Empire" was pretty good, but the freshness of the series was already old, for me, by the time it came out...I thought "Return of the Jedi" was pretty bad, and I hated the 4th one (or the first one, if you will, "Phantom Menace") so much, I never saw the final two. I have heard, they are both pretty good, but I have zero interest in either...that first was pure magic though...I have never been as captivated by a movie, before, or since...much like I would imagine kids of all ages were dazzled by "The Wizard of Oz" back in 1939.

I have never seen a "Harry Potter" or "Lord of the Rings" movie...I have been tempted a few times, but always pull away.

I'd suggest you consider seeing the third prequel (Rise of the Sith) if you have even a remote interest in the franchise anymore. The second half of that film, IMO, was very intense. It also sort of sets up what you consider your favorite of all the star wars films, A New Hope :thumbsup:

I'd suggest you consider seeing the third prequel (Rise of the Sith) if you have even a remote interest in the franchise anymore. The second half of that film, IMO, was very intense. It also sort of sets up what you consider your favorite of all the star wars films, A New Hope :thumbsup:

As I've written in a movie thread, I watched all of the SW movies in order over a few days this past winter, after not having seen the prequels when they came out. You know, it's like one of those bucket list things that in crossing it off, closes a chapter in life. I believe it was "Revenge of the Sith" and yeah, besides Hayden Christensen being a block of wood with a pulse, the prequels weren't as bad as I had heard.

As I've written in a movie thread, I watched all of the SW movies in order over a few days this past winter, after not having seen the prequels when they came out. You know, it's like one of those bucket list things that in crossing it off, closes a chapter in life. I believe it was "Revenge of the Sith" and yeah, besides Hayden Christensen being a block of wood with a pulse, the prequels weren't as bad as I had heard.

I agree. It was just an impossible task for the prequels to ever live up to the OT, particularly the original two. The prequels had some really good elements here and there, but they just didn't endear you to them like the originals. That being said, my brother was an avowed prequel hater and was refusing to see episode III (Revenge of the Sith). I had just finished putting together my front projector and 133" screen at the time (I miss that theater room so much!), and I asked him to come watch the film with me if for no other reason than to check out my HT. Anyway, I laugh about it to this day, because he sat there during the second half of that film SWEARING that Spielberg (or someone else with a clue) MUST have given Lucas some direction, because it was so much better than most of the rest of the prequel material. I'm pretty lukewarm to "Clones", and I've re-watched that film far, far less often than the rest of them. But I liked Phantom Menace well enough, particularly the Darth Maul scenes, and loved ep III.

You're exactly right about the casting, though. It just wasn't inspired at all. I loved the Liam Neeson choice, but he only made it through one film. Darth Maul should have stuck around, Jar Jar was rightfully downsized after "Phantom", and although Hayden did well after his turn in epIII, I think Lucas could have done a better job of finding someone a bit more charismatic. But yeah, you have one of the most iconic actors in the history of film - Mr Harrison Ford - in all three OT films...you just cannot replicate that, I don't care how hard you try. Star Wars without Han Solo just isn't the same.

Those movies needed to focus more on Obi Wan instead. How was the audience ever going to get behind the main character when they already knew he was going to become Vader? I always wonder which order parents would present those movies to their kids today. The big reveal from each series ruins the big reveal from the other. I guess if you could cut out the birth of the twins, you could view the prequels first, then the originals.

Those movies needed to focus more on Obi Wan instead. How was the audience ever going to get behind the main character when they already knew he was going to become Vader? I always wonder which order parents would present those movies to their kids today. The big reveal from each series ruins the big reveal from the other. I guess if you could cut out the birth of the twins, you could view the prequels first, then the originals.

simple.

My son will get to watch my DVDs from the mid-80's laser discs when he comes of age. He will never be told of the abominations that were those other "movies"...