Tick Bites

Couple weeks ago, my pug had a little brown/black thing on her leg which I thought was just a new skin flap. A few days later, after it got much bigger, I took a second look and it ended up being a tick.

We removed the tick as instructed (didn't squeeze the body, removed the whole head).

It's about a week later and she still has a red bump where the bite was. I checked the surrounding skin and there's no rash or anything.

Just wondering if this is a normal amount of time for a bite to take to heal? Or if it's unusual and I should get her to the vet. One week later and it doesnt look any better (but it doesnt look any worse either). Google/internet isnt much help.

Thanks!

Edited by DrDareustein

Can't say I've ever seen much of a bump on either my dog or myself. If there was one, I would think it'd recede w/in a day or 3.

As for complete healing time, I've had marks for a couple of weeks or more on myself & no signs of Lyme disease (knock, knock).

Do you know how long was the tick there (as per below "a few days")? The longer they're there, the greater chance (& probably severity) of an infection.

Perhaps your dog's size might also come into play WRT severity of the infection (my dog weighs 140+ & I go 220+).

Can't say I've ever seen much of a bump on either my dog or myself. If there was one, I would think it'd recede w/in a day or 3.

As for complete healing time, I've had marks for a couple of weeks or more on myself & no signs of Lyme disease (knock, knock).

Do you know how long was the tick there (as per below "a few days")? The longer they're there, the greater chance (& probably severity) of an infection.

Perhaps your dog's size might also come into play WRT severity of the infection (my dog weighs 140+ & I go 220+).

That's kinda why Im worried. The tick was there over 36 hours, and I've read that will increase the chances. And she is a small dog (17 lbs).

I have to take my pit back to the vet on Tuesday anyways, and will just bring the pug with me. Was just hoping I could save the $75 for them to say "She's fine". But it's worth it.

Thanks for the input!

Oh yeah, at 140lbs I gotta know, What kind of dog?!?

I pulled a tick off my sac three weeks ago and there's still a bump there.

LOL, that wasnt a tick, that was a crab!

Edited by DrDareustein

Just to clarify a couple of things... there isn't just one strain of Lyme disease or similar afflictions. There are over 300 strains, from hardly any effects to debilitation and death. There's a SERIOUSLY bad strain that centers around the Westover Air Reserve base in Chicopee, Massachusetts, where probably a couple dozen people in a close relative's unit have been infected. It attacks the CNS and everything goes to hell. Especially if you're in the woods or the leaves, use sprays (there are actually some natural lemon ones that work better than DEET and the heavy chemical ones), check yourself over, and give your dog a thorough petting for bumps.

Lyme vaccine at the vet is useful for only a few strains. And I'm uncertain that length of time it's been on you increases the possibility of infection. Lyme is bacterial. I guess it makes sense, but it's cold comfort to say 'It's only been there for a day...' when we still know so relatively little about it all. And the medical community and the government haven't helped, because they know full well where this came from (Plum Island) and how much they'd be in the **** both from a compensation and public outrage standpoint if they admit this while they can't treat it. Like Agent Orange, they might come clean one day if/when there's only a statistically acceptable number of patients alive.

Couple weeks ago, my pug had a little brown/black thing on her leg which I thought was just a new skin flap. A few days later, after it got much bigger, I took a second look and it ended up being a tick.

We removed the tick as instructed (didn't squeeze the body, removed the whole head).

It's about a week later and she still has a red bump where the bite was. I checked the surrounding skin and there's no rash or anything.

Just wondering if this is a normal amount of time for a bite to take to heal? Or if it's unusual and I should get her to the vet. One week later and it doesnt look any better (but it doesnt look any worse either). Google/internet isnt much help.

Thanks!

I know a little about ticks.... there's several things to consider. First, if the tick was on for about 36hours; there's more than enough time to transmit any disease agents including those causing Lyme Disease. For Lyme Disease it generally takes about 24 hrs minimum for the bacteria to be transmitted. Of course, it can occur sooner; it can also take much longer.

Another thing to consider is the species of tick. Some ticks cause much more of an allergic reaction. For example, the lone star tick, cause a really itchy red bump that's much worse than most ticks. However, they don't occur everywhere. So, it depends upon where you live as to whether you may have encountered them or not. You didn't by any chance save the tick, did you? If so, send a pic or two and I'll do my best to identify it. Different ticks transmit different diseases; so its always helpful to know which one's ya got.

Another thing is... sometimes people in their zeal to make sure they get all the tick they dig a little too deep and it gets little infected/irritated. So, it's very likely that's all you're seeing.

The big thing to look for is any behavioral changes in your pet. The rash associated with Lyme Disease isn't always seen. So, I wouldn't go by that. But, if the infection is passed you'll often see a change in behavior: lethargy, different eating habits, etc. that indicate she's sick. I'd keep an eye on that. The sooner you seek treatment the better; but you have antibiotic treatments will work effectively if received within the first month or so.

My first experience with a tick was one attached in my groin area. There are a few things to keep in mind. Do not use tweezers or try to burn the tick off. Pull it out with your hands and disinfect the area of the bite with rubbing alchohol. A tick bite especially one that has expanded has been on probably for more than 24hrs. If the tick is attached even for a short period it will leave a mark on the skin and can last a while - this is normal. However what is not normal if a bullseye type rash appears around the bite. Just keep an eye on the area for any type of infection or strange rashes. A bullseye type rash is a sign of lyme disease and you would have to go to emergency. Lyme disease can be treated effectively if caught in the early stages

Another thing to remember is examine the tick that bites you. There are different types of ticks. Dog ticks for instance do not carry lyme. Deer ticks however are the ones that can be infected with lyme disease (use google to search for images on ticks).

I woke up last week and felt something on my arm. Turned on the light and it was a dog tick. To properly dispose of ticks I pick it up with a piece of tissue paper and flush them down the toilet.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I live in Essex CT- Old Lyme is next town over the river. Ticks are everywhere. Last week my brother was working on our garden with me- and he had two ticks on him. When I go hiking I try and cover up. Ticks also love long hair. Most ticks wont get you sick- but plenty will. The sooner you diagnose Lyme disease the better. Lyme disease gets nasty and has all sorts of terrible symptoms. Good luck. No person or dog should have to suffer