Grover Cleveland rapist?

Beerball

Add Ronald Reagan & Bill Clinton to the list of alleged rapists:

http://www.slate.com/id/1000336/

In Kitty Kelley's 1991 book Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography, actress Selene Walters claims that Ronald Reagan forced her to have sex with him in the early '50s. According to the book, Reagan, then president of the Screen Actors Guild, met Walters in a Hollywood nightclub. He asked for her address, and she gave it to him. Later at 3 a.m., he arrived unexpectedly at Walters' door and forced himself on her, Kelley alleges.

The press ridiculed this and other passages from Nancy Reagan : the night the Reagans smoked pot with Jack Benny and George Burns; Kelley's implication that Frank Sinatra boffed Nancy Reagan. But Kelley's sourcing of the alleged Reagan rape is not much worse than the sourcing of the alleged Clinton rape.

What's more, People magazine got Walters to repeat the story almost verbatim. Walters denied one key element of Kelley's version to People--that Reagan forced his way into her apartment--but reaffirmed the rest. It sounds remarkably like Juanita Broaddrick's story:

"I opened the door," Walters told the magazine. "Then it was the battle of the couch. I was fighting him. I didn't want him to make love to me. He's a very big man, and he just had his way. Date rape? No, God, no, that's [Kelley's] phrase. I didn't have a chance to have a date with him."

Walters--like Broaddrick--did not file charges. And Kelley maintains that Walters shared contemporaneous accounts of the encounter with friends.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Read the novel The City of Light it offers a description of Buffalo in it's economic heyday and an account of the rape.

An excellent read - I went to a lecture/book signing at the downtown library when City of Light came out and had a nice conversation with Ms. Belfer afterwards. Besides being an extremely approachable and very nice person, she was most concerned about the accuracy of even the most minute details in her description of the buildings, locations, and timeline of events in that era of Buffalo history.

Although the rape episode, as portrayed in her historical novel, bears some fictional 'embellishment' regarding where, when and to whom it happened...

'Delicately, he pushed me off him. When I stood, the offal of his body flowed down my thighs. I dared not make a show of wiping it way...'

...it seems accurate to say that ol' Grover was a cad who did indeed force himself on Ms. Halpin, and the resulting pregnancy and scandal so threatened Cleveland's political future that he and his handlers took extraordinary measures to discredit her and ruin her life.

(The whole episode seems remarkably similar to some accusations against Gov. Bill Clinton that had been reported in various news outlets and portrayed in the movie Primary Colors.)