Rick Perry (R-Texas)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro life for all?

if you don't see a conflict between less government and legislating anti abortion activities by doctors then you are either willfully or inherently ignorant. it doesn't require taking a side on this actual issue to see this obvious point.

Who foots the bill for these mandatory sonograms? Isn't Texas broke and in rough shape?

Aren't we geologically blessed? How are we broke and in rough shape then?

And I don't think we're "broke" or in "rough shape", but we are in a tough spot to have to make a budget for the next two years. To understand how Texas' Government works fiscally, you need to understand the state's tax structure. We have no state income tax, and most government revenue is brought in through property taxes and sales taxes. While property values and property taxes have remained relatively stable (although they have taken a hit in some areas), sales taxes dropped sharply due to the decline in the economy. Sales tax income had dropped steadily in late 09 and most of 2010 when people reacted to the economy and cut spending.

We make our budgets every two years, so right now they're working to make the budget for 2012-2013. They use the current spending patterns to predict how much revenue they'll have over the next two years and the rate of growth, and then base the budget on those numbers. According to the levels of spending last year and early this year, there was going to be a 26 billion dollar shortfall. However, revenue is already growing at a faster rate. The comptroller raised the state budget predictions by $1.2 billion last week, because sales tax income is increasing faster than expected.

The state also has a rainy day fund of $10 billion dollars saved up to cover periods of economic downturns. To balance the budget for the next two years, they're spending $4 billion from the rainy day fund and they have $15 billion in spending cuts. The rainy day fund is funded by taxes on oil & natural gas revenues, where a certain amount of money always goes to the rainy day fund first, and then the rest into the general revenue stream.

Did we have to change a lot to make sure the budget for 2012-2013 was balanced? Absolutely. Did they have to cut a lot of stuff? Yes. However, as spending increases the state's revenues will start to grow again. It'll just take time.

While I think Rick Perry's done a lot of good for Texas, it's crap like this that kept me from voting for him in the election.

He has done a lot for his constituents...I can't stand him...

Edited by Buftex

He has done a lot for his constituents...I can't stand him...

Heh, I didn't vote in the Gov race. Rick Perry does some hypocritical crap (like the bill you posted), Bill White had some horrible positions (like his plan to de-centralize transportation in Texas and let local cities handle it), and Kathy Glass was a nutcase.

Wouldn't it be nice if ALL politicians kept their noses out of our private affairs/health issues?

like so many other issues, conservatives just don't see the obvious hypocrisy here or choose to ignore it as evidenced by the number of replies to your thread.

Don't worry, no one misses the hypocrisy of you clowns who cheer when the federal gov't passes laws forcing citizens to purchase their version of 'healthcare' at the point of a gun (and give out 'waivers' to all their doners and other political buddies) and yet want to get hysterical over some state abortion law that makes doctors show pregnant women pictures.

Is the TX law stupid, unnecessary and a waste of taxpayer money? Sure is. But it's also a drop in the bucket compared to what's happening in Washington.

Wouldn't it be nice if ALL politicians kept their noses out of our private affairs/health issues?

Don't worry, no one misses the hypocrisy of you clowns who cheer when the federal gov't passes laws forcing citizens to purchase their version of 'healthcare' at the point of a gun (and give out 'waivers' to all their doners and other political buddies) and yet want to get hysterical over some state abortion law that makes doctors show pregnant women pictures.

Is the TX law stupid, unnecessary and a waste of taxpayer money? Sure is. But it's also a drop in the bucket compared to what's happening in Washington.

it's not hypocritical, if you believe that government intervention can be a good thing. that's the starting point for many progressives.

I'm not for Abortion, however I am so sick of seeing elected officials forcing their religious beliefs and feelings on the public.

Where is any mention of religion, all they are asking is that the women be givien all the information.

Why are liberals always afraid of peopel being educated?

"This law is extreme and patronizing to women in a variety of ways," Bebe Anderson, senior counsel for CRR, told HuffPost. "It hijacks the doctor-patient relationship, assumes what a woman must know to make a decision and forces doctors to say things to their patients that they otherwise shouldn't and wouldn't."

My wife had a sonogram in every trimester of all her pregnancies, it's standard procedure, why should that be different if the woman is going to terminate?

Heh, I didn't vote in the Gov race. Rick Perry does some hypocritical crap (like the bill you posted), Bill White had some horrible positions (like his plan to de-centralize transportation in Texas and let local cities handle it), and Kathy Glass was a nutcase.

It is pretty sad that Democrats feel that Perry is "bad", and yet they come up with Democrat governor candidates who are many times worse.

:doh:

less government anyone?

I thought you people were supposed to be nuanced. I think this one may be a little difficult for the likes of you to understand. Maybe you should stick to books with pictures.

If you consider it a life and death situation, protection of the life of an individual is a very fundamental and basic purpose of government. Making sure everyone has however much stuff a bunch of dickless liberals, who want to micromanage everyone's lives, think they should...well not so much.

But hey, why not continue to mischaracterize people and arguments you don't understand.

Edited by Rob's House

I thought you people were supposed to be nuanced. I think this one may be a little difficult for the likes of you to understand. Maybe you should stick to books with pictures.

If you consider it a life and death situation, protection of the life of an individual is a very fundamental and basic purpose of government. Making sure everyone has however much stuff a bunch of dickless liberals, who want to micromanage everyone's lives, think they should...well not so much.

But hey, why not continue to mischaracterize people and arguments you don't understand.

except that the supreme court and thus the govt officially disagrees with you. a supreme court decision might be nuanced in process but not in application.

Edited by birdog1960

I'm not for Abortion, however I am so sick of seeing elected officials forcing their religious beliefs and feelings on the public.

Don't assume that the motives here are strictly religious...Perry and company made a pretty nice penny forcing the HPV vaccine on all females in Texas, as well...despite the fact that nobody wanted it...I hope Perry does run for president...a lot of his little secrets are bound to come out.

It is pretty sad that Democrats feel that Perry is "bad", and yet they come up with Democrat governor candidates who are many times worse.

:doh:

Lets face it, as Texans, this state is, and always will be, controlled by Republicans, good or bad. At this point, there is little difference, other than the financial influence of donors, between the two parties...

Edited by Buftex