Vote! Dumb beer marketing gimmicks

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite dumb American beer marketing gimmick category?

• POURS INTO YOUR MOUTH FASTER. (Cans with extra large opening and special ventilation grooves or bottles with swirly technology in the neck to make the beer shoot out in a hillbilly vortex of inebriation.)
    • VISUAL CONFIRMATION OF COLDNESS. (The label turns color to indicate the exact temperature at which you can feel adequately prepared to rock.)
    • MAXIMUM REFRESHMENT TO CARB RATIO. (Sure it?s pretty much just beer-scented steam, but it?s cold and it won?t make you fart a lot.)
    • THE SCRATCH YOUR NAME ON THE LABEL WITH A COIN THING. (The chicks go nuts for this one.)

Great poll. The recent "triple hop" campaign had me laughing from the first time I heard it since as Pooj mentioned nearly all beers are hopped at least three times during the boil. The "tasting" of cold is also humorous. But I think the universal implied concept of the sex appeal that you apparently gain when drinking these stojan beers is the most ridiculous of all.

What about the recent gimmick Miller HighLife is pulling to get one to drink their crappy beer. "Caps for Vets." I think they got the other gimmicks beat by a mile... By mixing in "Patriot Correctness." Nobody dare call them out on it! :o

Well, almost nobody. :D

i like the one where the two women get into a fight and then splash into the outdoor fountain. i don't know what the beer is they're advertising, but there's something mesmerizing about the commercial. i think there was a sequel in which the two women then get into a pillow fight.

as for all these silly gimmicks, give me a break.

as for which one's the most insipid, it's a tie between:

-- the cold and extremely cold label bottles. ... uh, i don't need a label to tell me if a beer's cold.

-- the light beer versus miller light commercials. "would you like a light beer or one that tastes great?" ... and the doofus picks "whatever," when in fact the answer is C: "here's no such thing as great-tasting light beer. i'll then have a Labatt Blue, thank you."

sheesh, morons.

good poll though.

jw

i like the one where the two women get into a fight and then splash into the outdoor fountain. i don't know what the beer is they're advertising, but there's something mesmerizing about the commercial. i think there was a sequel in which the two women then get into a pillow fight.

as for all these silly gimmicks, give me a break.

Go to 1:23 to 1:49.

"...Moonlight on a duck blind, catfish on a trotline..." :D

Well, almost nobody. :D

:blush: :blush: :blush::lol: