NY26 just went to the Dems

The Tea Party is really nothing more than Republican Light. Funny thing is that the Medicare issue will push some people away from voting for their Republican Party.

So more people supported the Republican (regular and Lite) position on Medicare than the Democrats' in that district.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we may never have that data. However, there is some logic that you can apply. I don't know if the Democrats "won independents and some defections", but either more Democrats came out to vote, for some reason (in an area where there are many more registered Repbulicans than Democrats), some Republicans and Independents voted Democrat, or both...it seems pretty logical to assume this abberation in the area politics occurred for some reason. To deny that the Ryan Plan/Medicare issue was a big factor, as Republicans were doing all day, yesterday, is kind of ludicrous.

Not only may we never have the data, but we won't have the data. :)

As I said previously, historically, with low turnout elections, it's more about driving out your hardcore base than it is winning moderates or defections. That may not have been the case in this election, but it's possible.

I agree, it's pretty ludicrous to say that it didn't have an effect. It's also ludicrous to say it was the driving reason behind the election. It's all speculation because we don't know. It most likely did have an effect, but we don't really know how much.

The absolute greatest predictor of votes is Party ID. The Ryan plan probably had some effect on driving out and suppressing votes, but it's impossible to compare that to the split that occurred with Davis.

Any person following this election knows it was about the Medicare and people voting for the party that best represents their personal beliefs. Democrats won.

Thanks for admitting you don't have any proof.

Edited by BlueFire

Not only may we never have the data, but we won't have the data. :)

As I said previously, historically, with low turnout elections, it's more about driving out your hardcore base than it is winning moderates or defections. That may not have been the case in this election, but it's possible.

I agree, it's pretty ludicrous to say that it didn't have an effect. It's also ludicrous to say it was the driving reason behind the election. It's all speculation because we don't know. It most likely did have an effect, but we don't really know how much.

The absolute greatest predictor of votes is Party ID. The Ryan plan probably had some effect on driving out and suppressing votes, but it's impossible to compare that to the split that occurred with Davis.

Thanks for admitting you don't have any proof.

you want proof? how about the republican senators who broke ranks last night on the senate vote on ryan's bill? that's the best internal polling you'll ever see.

So more people supported the Republican (regular and Lite) position on Medicare than the Democrats' in that district.

You do realize that that was not the only issue right? I do love the crying and whining about losing this election. Hopefully it just shows us what's to come in the 2012 elections.

I do love the crying and whining about losing this election. Hopefully it just shows us what's to come in the 2012 elections.

This is a true groundswell for the Democrats, a tsunami if you will. It will be sweeping across the fruited Plaines and come 2012 the Democrats will once again own all three houses because of this historic win. Amen.

you want proof? how about the republican senators who broke ranks last night on the senate vote on ryan's bill? that's the best internal polling you'll ever see.

Snowe? Murkowski? Brown? Collins? Paul? You mean those "Republican" senators? :lol:

You do realize that that was not the only issue right? I do love the crying and whining about losing this election. Hopefully it just shows us what's to come in the 2012 elections.

You do realize that when you lump the "Republicans" and "Tea Partiers" together as you do, it invalidates the entire "Everyone abandoned the Republicans!" argument based on the fact that the Democratic candidate got less than 50% of the vote, right?

It's YOUR equivalence I'm usuing to invalidate your position, nitwit. Not mine. You can't rationally say Republicans and Tea Partiers are the same thing, then turn around and say they're not when it becomes inconvenient, and expect us to NOT laugh our asses off at your ridiculous inconsistency.

You do realize that when you lump the "Republicans" and "Tea Partiers" together as you do, it invalidates the entire "Everyone abandoned the Republicans!" argument based on the fact that the Democratic candidate got less than 50% of the vote, right?

It's YOUR equivalence I'm usuing to invalidate your position, nitwit. Not mine. You can't rationally say Republicans and Tea Partiers are the same thing, then turn around and say they're not when it becomes inconvenient, and expect us to NOT laugh our asses off at your ridiculous inconsistency.

They are basically the same thing... only difference is one is willing to cut anything and everything in order to save or curtail spending / difference in budgetary beliefs. Non-Tea Party Republicans at times are more willing to compromise... which CAN separate them at times.

Do you understand now?

so this is the new litmus test for being a "real" republican? divide and conquer has always been a good strategy.

I do love how as soon as a Republican doesn't vote the "correct" way they are mocked.

I do love how as soon as a Republican doesn't vote the "correct" way they are mocked.

This will be difficult for people like you and birddog to grasp, but I was not mocking those Republicans because of the way they voted. I mocked birddog for believing that just because they have an R next to their name that they are clear representation of the Republican party. Especially Snowe and Murkowski, both of whom are a haircut and suit away from being Al Franken. Snowe was completely on board with Obamacare until she saw her liberal colleagues dropping like flies for having their votes bought by the WH.

Yes, technically, five people registered as Republicans voted against Ryan's budget, but as with the former governor of California, Snowe, Murkowski, Brown and Collins make John McCain look like a Republican, and that's no easy feat.

Alternately, there was a unanimous 0-97 vote against Obama's budget at the same time, but no one seems interested in discussing that bit of liberal embarrassment.

Edited by LABillzFan

Awfully weak argument coming from the side that's been equating the Tea Party and the Republicans for a couple years now.

It's also a weak argument to say there are very many Tea folk in this district or WNY for that matter. Every once in awhile I will see them dressed in their Thomas Paine gear protesting in front of Weezy Slaughter's office in downtown Buffalo, but their numbers are so minute (5 or 6) as to confuse downtown Buffalo pedestrians that Halloween came early.

Fact is Davis or the Tea Party had no impact on this election. How could he? How could they?!? Basically what stands for the warring factions of the local TEA scene (Thompson and Coniglio) hate each other's guts to such an extent that they basically retard any movement.

Naw...it came down to basic demographics...which will probably be the way 2012 will go.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v10n21/news_analysis

That isn't to say the 527's of Karl Rove won't have a say in anything? After all the Supreme Kangaroo Court ruled that money can talk and boy has it! The Buffalo/Rochester media market was the test for what the rest of you will experience in the next year...a constant barrage of ads on every sort of local media bastion....so intense that you will want to kick in your tv after awhile.

Thanks George Will and our awesome soopreme kourt.

It's also a weak argument to say there are very many Tea folk in this district or WNY for that matter. Every once in awhile I will see them dressed in their Thomas Paine gear protesting in front of Weezy Slaughter's office in downtown Buffalo, but their numbers are so minute (5 or 6) as to confuse downtown Buffalo pedestrians that Halloween came early.

Fact is Davis or the Tea Party had no impact on this election. How could he? How could they?!? Basically what stands for the warring factions of the local TEA scene (Thompson and Coniglio) hate each other's guts to such an extent that they basically retard any movement.

Naw...it came down to basic demographics...which will probably be the way 2012 will go.

http://artvoice.com/issues/v10n21/news_analysis

That isn't to say the 527's of Karl Rove won't have a say in anything? After all the Supreme Kangaroo Court ruled that money can talk and boy has it! The Buffalo/Rochester media market was the test for what the rest of you will experience in the next year...a constant barrage of ads on every sort of local media bastion....so intense that you will want to kick in your tv after awhile.

Thanks George Will and our awesome soopreme kourt.

Uhhh, by adding his votes to Corwin's votes? :unsure:

Or do you think that Nader had no effect on FLA's 2000 results?

Uhhh, by adding his votes to Corwin's votes? :unsure:

Or do you think that Nader had no effect on FLA's 2000 results?

Didn't matter TT. Anyway you sliced it Davis had virtually no impact at all....the establishment GOP, Erie County executive Chris Collins, hand picked Corwin..a ready made rich bimbo....oops...sorry "vacuous person" who they thought would win the district.

Shows what Karl Rove knows.

The complete lack of knowledge of some of the ex-patriates here never fails to astonish me...'specially in this race when it comes to Jack Davis. Davis was a life long Republican who was so offended by Veep Cheney circa 2003 ignoring his demand to talk about trade and tariffs at Klienhans music hall that he decided to run for congress the next year. He wanted to run as a Republican, his party, but establishment GOP shut him out. He went to the Dems and they said sure!...long as you use your own money...and he did...and he did again...and once more.

So that's where that came from. The National far conservative right wanted to paint Davis as a Democrat and I am sure he took away as many votes from Hochul as he did for Corwin.

Al Gore and his campaign lost because they were morons....and the better man won....right?

Didn't matter TT. Anyway you sliced it Davis had virtually no impact at all....the establishment GOP, Erie County executive Chris Collins, hand picked Corwin..a ready made rich bimbo....oops...sorry "vacuous person" who they thought would win the district.

Shows what Karl Rove knows.

The complete lack of knowledge of some of the ex-patriates here never fails to astonish me...'specially in this race when it comes to Jack Davis. Davis was a life long Republican who was so offended by Veep Cheney circa 2003 ignoring his demand to talk about trade and tariffs at Klienhans music hall that he decided to run for congress the next year. He wanted to run as a Republican, his party, but establishment GOP shut him out. He went to the Dems and they said sure!...long as you use your own money...and he did...and he did again...and once more.

So that's where that came from. The National far conservative right wanted to paint Davis as a Democrat and I am sure he took away as many votes from Hochul as he did for Corwin.

Al Gore and his campaign lost because they were morons....and the better man won....right?

That's quite the yarn you're weaving there, Skippy.

So in conclusion, Corwin lost because she's a ready-made rich, vacuous bimbo, but Al Gore lost because his campaign was run by morons.

It's amazing, really. If you don't count all the times that progressives have lost, they've actually never lost. :lol:

That's quite the yarn you're weaving there, Skippy.

So in conclusion, Corwin lost because she's a ready-made rich, vacuous bimbo, but Al Gore lost because his campaign was run by morons.

It's amazing, really. If you don't count all the times that progressives have lost, they've actually never lost. :lol:

Naw LA...not what I'm talking about at all. Specific to this district, with its economic differences, Mrs Corwin just did not connect. Hochul looked and acted like a person who would knock on your door and tell you in a motherly way that medicare may go the way of the De Soto. Whatever opinion you may hold that was the most important issue in the district according to polls.

Gore won Florida...he happened to hire the most inept help-for wont of a better term-so I should have qualified it as post-campaign. There is a definite distinction. Still it boggles the mind that Bush could win two terms...but considering the candidates...

Naw LA...not what I'm talking about at all. Specific to this district, with its economic differences, Mrs Corwin just did not connect. Hochul looked and acted like a person who would knock on your door and tell you in a motherly way that medicare may go the way of the De Soto. Whatever opinion you may hold that was the most important issue in the district according to polls.

Gore won Florida...he happened to hire the most inept help-for wont of a better term-so I should have qualified it as post-campaign. There is a definite distinction. Still it boggles the mind that Bush could win two terms...but considering the candidates...

Yes, the 2000 election controversy wasn't a proud moment for our country, regardless of point of view.

Bush had some policies that were questionable, but he was a very good politician and knew how to win. Some of his policies have grown less objectionable over time, while some remain controversial.

As far as the candidates, he was pulling for Dean to win the nomination, as he was more worried about Kerry.

Dems will re-take the House in 2012 and increase their majority in the Senate. Obama will crush whoever the GOP vomits up to run against him. Imagine a sissy-wimp like Pawlenty being the nominee? Ha ha, the guy that got Osama against a nothing like that!

I used to think you were the dumbest poster on the board. I now believe you are a conservative trolling as a liberal and doing a damn fine job of it.