Chinese gain military foothold in Middle East.

From our friends at Wiki:

Since 2 p.m. January 4, 2010, the KKH has been closed in the Hunza Valley, eliminating through traffic to China except by small boat. A massive landslide 15 km upstream from Hunza's capital of Karimabad created the potentially unstable Attabad Lake which reached 22 km in length and over 100 meters in depth by the first week of June 2010 when it finally began flowing over the landslide dam. The lake displaced thousands and inundated over 20 km of the KKH including the 310 m long KKH bridge 4 km south of Gulmit.[10][11][12] The damage is expected to take up to two years to repair.[13]

Sounds like perfect terrain for a gas pipeline.

What, landslides are bad for the transport of highly flamable / explosive gasses? And potentially massive flows of water across a pipeline might not be ideal conditions for integrity?

What possible problems could those create?

:doh:

What, landslides are bad for the transport of highly flamable / explosive gasses? And potentially massive flows of water across a pipeline might not be ideal conditions for integrity?

What possible problems could those create?

:doh:

Never mind the practical issues of moving whatever's in the pipeline up a 10,000 foot elevation. :wallbash:

Never mind the practical issues of moving whatever's in the pipeline up a 10,000 foot elevation. :wallbash:

Yeah, but that's only an issue when the pipeline's getting filled. :lol: (Or if you ever have degassing in transit w/ liquids or condensation w/ a gas pipeline. The hammer at the bottom of a rise could be quite impressive with any slug flow. But those wouldn't cause any problems either. :unsure:)

Yeah, but that's only an issue when the pipeline's getting filled. :lol: (Or if you ever have degassing in transit w/ liquids or condensation w/ a gas pipeline. The hammer at the bottom of a rise could be quite impressive with any slug flow. But those wouldn't cause any problems either. :unsure:)

Degassing shouldn't be a problem. When the pipeline splits because of the sudden differential shifts in the ground in a seismically active region like the Himalayan massif, excess pressure should be vented rather rapidly.

Good thing they have an empty, unused port for a backup.

You make up for it on the way down.

Think of all the water wheels it can drive going down 10000 feet. China and Pakistan: Greening the world.

Edited by Peace

Degassing shouldn't be a problem. When the pipeline splits because of the sudden differential shifts in the ground in a seismically active region like the Himalayan massif, excess pressure should be vented rather rapidly.

Good thing they have an empty, unused port for a backup.

Earthquakes, in the Himalayas? Inconceivable.

And, as Kashmir's a very stable region polically, man-made calamities shouldn't be an issue either. :doh:

My only question is: why hasn't this pipeline already happened? ;)

You make up for it on the way down.

Think of all the water wheels it can drive going down 10000 feet. China and Pakistan: Greening the world.

Actually, the terminus is 10k feet higher than the start.

But maybe if they sent something back the other way... :unsure:

Earthquakes, in the Himalayas? Inconceivable.

And, as Kashmir's a very stable region polically, man-made calamities shouldn't be an issue either. :doh:

My only question is: why hasn't this pipeline already happened? ;)

I was thinking more about how crevasses can suddenly open, and the ground can move 10-20 feet, with no warning.

But a flexible pipe should solve that. I've got one going through my attic from the furnace to a bedroom, I don't see why they can't build a gas pipeline out of the same stuff. Air's a gas, right?

Actually, the terminus is 10k feet higher than the start.

But maybe if they sent something back the other way... :unsure:

I was thinking more about how crevasses can suddenly open, and the ground can move 10-20 feet, with no warning.

But a flexible pipe should solve that. I've got one going through my attic from the furnace to a bedroom, I don't see why they can't build a gas pipeline out of the same stuff. Air's a gas, right?

Well, they might need a little duct tape, but that should do the trick. Would help to keep the overhead and overruns low as well. Throw in the cheap labor, and it seems to be a no-brainer.

Well, they might need a little duct tape, but that should do the trick. Would help to keep the overhead and overruns low as well. Throw in the cheap labor, and it seems to be a no-brainer.

Of course, that's all trumped by the simple observation that they share a border...

Tom you better call China quick!!! not only are those Crazy Chinese planning a pipeline but a railway too- you and GG better call and put an end to this nonsense before those silly guys hurt themselves.

NEW DELHI: "India has expressed concern over China's plans to build a rail link through the Karakoram ranges in Pakistan. The trans-Karakoram rail link will go through the Gilgit-Baltistan region, which is part of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK)".........

"The Chinese plans, according to reports, is to build the rail link to Pakistan and reach the Arabian sea through the Gilgit-Baltistan region in Pak-occupied Kashmir. The MoU for a feasibility study on building the Karakoram railway line is expected to be signed between Beijing and Islamabad during President Asif Ali Zardari's current, ongoing visit to China. According to reports in the Pakistani media, Pakistan's General Manager Railways (operation) Ishfaq Khattak has joined Mr Zardari's delegation."

other silly things they want to do in that area is to mine Uranium, Build underground bases and make use of the glacier packs. Someone better tell them that it makes no sense to spend hundreds of Billions on infrastructure it only make sense to spend hundreds of Billions on destroying some others country's infrastructure.

Tom you better call China quick!!! not only are those Crazy Chinese planning a pipeline but a railway too- you and GG better call and put an end to this nonsense before those silly guys hurt themselves.

other silly things they want to do in that area is to mine Uranium, Build underground bases and make use of the glacier packs.

China has plans to build infrastructure in the Kashmir?

Well, that's it then. We're !@#$ed.

Someone better tell them that it makes no sense to spend hundreds of Billions on infrastructure it only make sense to spend hundreds of Billions on destroying some others country's infrastructure.

So you're worried that China's growing power will eclipse our declining power...which we shouldn't use anyway? :wacko: It's not even that you're stupid, as much as you are completely bug!@#$ insane and irrational. How does your average day progress? "Now that I've dumped oatmeal over my head and shaved the cat, what should I do next?...I know! I'll post a raving, contradictory, nonsensical post on PPP!"

other silly things they want to do in that area is to mine Uranium, Build underground bases and make use of the glacier packs. Someone better tell them that it makes no sense to spend hundreds of Billions on infrastructure it only make sense to spend hundreds of Billions on destroying some others country's infrastructure.

In other words, it's a bigger concern for India than for the US? Let's see how far that infrastructure across Kashmir actually proceeds.

China has plans to build infrastructure in the Kashmir?

Well, that's it then. We're !@#$ed.

So you're worried that China's growing power will eclipse our declining power...which we shouldn't use anyway? :wacko: It's not even that you're stupid, as much as you are completely bug!@#$ insane and irrational. How does your average day progress? "Now that I've dumped oatmeal over my head and shaved the cat, what should I do next?...I know! I'll post a raving, contradictory, nonsensical post on PPP!"

Tom you are a smug ass!

Lets start with the gas pipeline - I don't know if it makes economic sense or if it's even feasible from a engineering standpoint, just read that it's in the works same with the railway- maybe it's just a ploy to get India involved again, the original pipeline plan was Iran Pakistan India China but India kept hemming and hawing, they were in they were out and so on, so China said !@#$ it we don't need you. How will China handle the altitudes? !@#$ who said they were going over, they might be going under or through- did China scrap the nukes for infrastructure programs everybody thought was a good idea in the 50s and 60s, they also have more tunneling equipment than just about anyone, and if all that fails they could get a million unpaid prisoner laborers and add a couple more million low paid workers give them picks, sledge hammers, chisels and shovels and let them go to town.

and Tom, I don't worry about China, the only ones who are !@#$ing us are our own government and our corporate community- I do sometimes wonder about the brain power it takes to spend 100s of billions going after 100-1000 al qaeda members and at the same time not care that you are going from favorable rating to loathing in a nuclear armed country of a 175 million, I mean where are those beer guys to yell genius.

Tom you are a smug ass!

Lets start with the gas pipeline - I don't know if it makes economic sense or if it's even feasible from a engineering standpoint, just read that it's in the works same with the railway- maybe it's just a ploy to get India involved again, the original pipeline plan was Iran Pakistan India China but India kept hemming and hawing, they were in they were out and so on, so China said !@#$ it we don't need you. How will China handle the altitudes? !@#$ who said they were going over, they might be going under or through- did China scrap the nukes for infrastructure programs everybody thought was a good idea in the 50s and 60s, they also have more tunneling equipment than just about anyone, and if all that fails they could get a million unpaid prisoner laborers and add a couple more million low paid workers give them picks, sledge hammers, chisels and shovels and let them go to town.

and Tom, I don't worry about China, the only ones who are !@#$ing us are our own government and our corporate community- I do sometimes wonder about the brain power it takes to spend 100s of billions going after 100-1000 al qaeda members and at the same time not care that you are going from favorable rating to loathing in a nuclear armed country of a 175 million, I mean where are those beer guys to yell genius.

So the cat's shaved and you're wearing oatmeal already?