Importance of games this weekend

maddog

This is a big weekend for our playoff chances. Of course we need the Bills to win and of course we want the Jets, Ravens, Broncos and Jaguars to lose. But of the four competitors this is my view of the importance of each of them losing this weekend (in order of importance):

1 - Baltimore at Indy - we really need the Ravens to lose this game. Otherwise, they only need to beat Pitt or Miami (at home) to edge out the Bills. If Baltimore wins this game, we will have a hard time catching them.

2 - Jacksonville at Green Bay - I'm afraid this game will be closer than many people think. If Jax wins, we must rely on Houston or Oakland beating them. Conventional wisdom says the Florida team has no chance in Lambeau in December. However, it was only two years ago that Atlanta blew out Green Bay in a playoff night game at Lambeau. Go Pack!

3 -Denver at Kansas City - I have no idea what will happen in this game. Both teams are very difficult to figure out. It's looking less and less like the Indy at Denver game in week 17 will have much meaning for Indy.

4 - NY Jets vs. Seattle - I'm surprised the Jets are favored by as much as they are (6 last I saw). It would be great if the Jets lost but of the three remaining games, this is the one they are most likely to win. Win or lose, their game next week against New England goes to the top of the list. They must lose that one.

Most scenarios that put us in the playoffs include us and the Broncos or us and the Jets getting in. That's why I put less importance on those two games this weekend.