Sabres Prospect Brayden McNabb suspended...

Spun

When breaking it down to frame by frame it seems worse. In real time I can't tell if McNabb intentionally raised his elbow to Joey Hishon's head. The blood was indeniable. Junior hockey doesn't hedge when it comes to close call confrontations. They tend to lean on the aggressor. This also seemed to be true with Zach Kassian's hit that also led to a suspension in the WJC. One thing is clear, the Sabres have some physical players on the way up. Why should Kaleta and Gerbe do all the hitting? Gerbe. Gotta love him standing up to Chara!

Intentional or not, it's a clear elbow to the head. The suspension's warranted, especially since the CHL has been going after contact to the head (rightfully so). Owen Sound just lost one of the best players in the AHL there, so they're really going to feel that loss.

Intentional or not, it's a clear elbow to the head. The suspension's warranted, especially since the CHL has been going after contact to the head (rightfully so). Owen Sound just lost one of the best players in the AHL there, so they're really going to feel that loss.

True. He didn't leave his feet and it looks like the player just slammed into his elbow by going low. I really don't think it was intentional... What's he going to do in that situation? But, it is a hit to the head... I think the guy that got hit was more reckless. Kinda like the Chara hit (instead of an elbow, it was the stanchion)... Yet this one was less intentional.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

True. He didn't leave his feet and it looks like the player just slammed into his elbow by going low. I really don't think it was intentional... What's he going to do in that situation? But, it is a hit to the head... I think the guy that got hit was more reckless. Kinda like the Chara hit (instead of an elbow, it was the stanchion)... Yet this one was less intentional.

There's a common misconception when it comes to elbows. It is perfectly legal to hit with the elbow, as long as the arm stays down. The penalty comes when the player leads with the elbow. If McNabb had left his arm down, it would have been fine, but his arm clearly comes up prior to the hit.

There's a common misconception when it comes to elbows. It is perfectly legal to hit with the elbow, as long as the arm stays down. The penalty comes when the player leads with the elbow. If McNabb had left his arm down, it would have been fine, but his arm clearly comes up prior to the hit.

Pretty much. He led w/ the elbow, he got the guy's head. Canadian Juniors have been pretty clear on calling that a suspendable hit this year.

Good to see the Sabres are getting some meanness in the system.

is he any good?

According to all I have read on McNabb is a good offensive defenseman. Like most prospects, I am convinced of their hype after seeing them play. McNabb is 6'5" Zach Kassian is 6'3", Luke Adam is 6'2", Marcus Foligni is 6'3" and Marc-Andre Gragnani is also 6'2". I think for the most part the smurf era is over. I was impressed with Gragnani at the end of the year. I think Gragnani will be a regular on the Sabres roster next year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article432851.ece