Leaping. Now I don't feel so bad

NFL network ran a show of the top 10 comebacks in history. Of course I watched to see the Oilers game. But #3 was a Indy/Tampa game that featured an absurd call. In overtime, Indy lined up for a 40 yard FG and it went wide right. There was a flag. They got some Buc for "LEAPING." Yeah, the guy jumped in the air, and landed on somebody on the way down. He did not block the kick. He jumped in the air. Unsportsmanlike conduct, rekick, the Colts win.

Leaping.

It brings back memories of "Just give it to him" and "interference on a Hail Mary"

Leaping.

Manning's comment on the game: "Leaping!"

NFL network ran a show of the top 10 comebacks in history. Of course I watched to see the Oilers game. But #3 was a Indy/Tampa game that featured an absurd call. In overtime, Indy lined up for a 40 yard FG and it went wide right. There was a flag. They got some Buc for "LEAPING." Yeah, the guy jumped in the air, and landed on somebody on the way down. He did not block the kick. He jumped in the air. Unsportsmanlike conduct, rekick, the Colts win.

Leaping.

It brings back memories of "Just give it to him" and "interference on a Hail Mary"

Leaping.

Manning's comment on the game: "Leaping!"

Big difference, they got the rule right in that case. Whether you like the rule or not, they got the call right.

Yes, they got the call right. But even Periera admitted they shouldn't have made the call. It was idiotic, like "in the crease." I believe they could call "Leaping" on every field goal attempt, because somebody is always leaving his feet to try to block the kick. Why would the idiot enforce that rule and give the game to the Colts? It's not as if everybody on the sidelines and stands was screaming, "hey, LEAPING!! LEAPING!!" Nobody knew wtf happened, and it should not have been called. Right?

post-1610-053649800 1305990173_thumb.jpg

Just for clarification, TC mentioned three different calls in his post.

Which one are you saying they got right?

Yes, they got the call right. But even Periera admitted they shouldn't have made the call. It was idiotic, like "in the crease." I believe they could call "Leaping" on every field goal attempt, because somebody is always leaving his feet to try to block the kick. Why would the idiot enforce that rule and give the game to the Colts? It's not as if everybody on the sidelines and stands was screaming, "hey, LEAPING!! LEAPING!!" Nobody knew wtf happened, and it should not have been called. Right?

That's why I asked Beerball which call he was talking about.

Random, arbitrary enforcement of a rule that's in the books but never called isn't getting the call right, in my opinion.

I believe the big deal is that he came down on a player from the kicking team. People jump up to block kicks all the time, but if you arent in control and come down hard on the kicking team, ESPECIALLY the long snapper, you'll get called. (Thanks to WSS? below for further clarification).

Id rather see them enforce an actual rule that is just rarely called, than have them make new ones up on the spot (Tuck Rule, Just give it to them, etc).

Edited by DrDareustein

You're missing the point.

You can leap all day long to block a field goal.

You can even "leap" to block a field goal and land on an opposing player if you're lined up at the beginning of the play at the line of scrimmage.

You can't line up 5 years off the line of scrimmage and cannonball yourself into the offensive line.

That is the penalty he landed on an opposing player when he was lined off the line of scrimmage, it wasn't simply because he leaped.

The offensive line can't be held accountable with blocking a 300 pound lineman while 250 pound line backers are raining down from the sky.

There would be some shattered spines and other appendages.

It's a pretty sound rule. Any special teams coach teaches this rule and makes sure that players don't do this, even though it could be tempting on a game winning field goal.

It's just a matter of being disciplined, which Simeon Rice was not.

You also can't launch yourself off of a teammate or opposing player to block a field goal either. Which sure would help block a field goal but again 250 LB guys raining from the sky isn't a safe thing for anyone involved. Or imagine if the D-line tossed CBs at the field goal kicker. Could probably a field goal or two but the CB, K, holders and O-line would last too long.

Edited by Why So Serious?

And here's the "Leaping" rule:

® Clearly running forward and leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal, or Try-kick after touchdown and landing on players, unless the leaping player was originally lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

It's related to another rule called "Leverage"

(o) Jumping or standing on a teammate or opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent's kick.

℗ Placing a hand or hands on a teammate or opponent to gain additional height in the block or attempt to block an opponent's kick.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan