Aaron Maybin

It seems like he speaks very well, unless his responses were heavily edited.

Sounds like his son died about one year ago because I know the death occurred within one day of his daughter's birth.

Look how skinny his arm is in that picture… small bone diameter.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like he speaks very well, unless his responses were heavily edited.

He may speak well, but does he listen? Gailey has talked about how Maybin needs to work harder...yet every interview of Maybin includes him talking about what a hard worker he is. Something aint adding up.

He may speak well, but does he listen? Gailey has talked about how Maybin needs to work harder...yet every interview of Maybin includes him talking about what a hard worker he is. Something aint adding up.

I think, coming out of college he was very immature. Young people. For some it just takes time. I think he does have strong work ethics, so it's not all bad. Maybe he'll turn it around(still not holding my breath though). At this point the odds are against him. It's very hard to change perceptions once you have all ready established negative ones. Chan Gailey's perception seems to lean toward the negative side. One thing is certain, he's got his work cut out for him.

Didn't Gailey's quotes from March not question his work ethic, but instead his ability:

To be clear, I asked whether the failure came down to Maybin not trying hard enough or simply not being good enough.

"I think he wants to. I think he wants to," Gailey said, leaving pauses between each sentence. "He works at it. I'm glad you [asked that]. I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it."

Another pause.

So that must mean he's not good enough, I deduced aloud.

Gailey didn't blink.

"I don't want anybody to think he doesn't work at it," Gailey replied with a raised-brow expression that confirmed the unspoken point had found its bull's-eye.

Gailey's frustration is obvious when it comes to Maybin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27217/gailey-calls-out-first-rounder-aaron-maybin

Dadankadonk, you need to do a little more research before comparing maybin to hali

Hali had 15.5 sacks in his first two years and his game was power not a first step

Why bother researching? People on this board have been comparing little Roscoe to Wes Welker for years.....

Wow on tv you usaually get compared to welker just for being white.

It use to be cherbet, then mcCaffrey now welker.

Amandola edelman hartline and on and on

Then if you are a black qb ... Well you get the point

So i guess bills fans think outside the box at least

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/19/2179137/aaron-maybin-buffalo-bills

Like everyone else, I've been very critical about Maybin, but the BR story might shed some light on Maybin's poor season last year: "Maybin is a favorite punching bag of Bills fans, but it's not as if he's had it easy. Reportedly, he was dealing with the sudden death of an infant son just two weeks prior to the start of training camp last summer. In two years, he's played two different positions in two different defensive schemes (though for the same position coach). He's fighting the stigma of being a draft bust despite being just 23 years old; only six of his Bills teammates (including five rookies) are younger.

Yet his lack of impact - which goes beyond the realm of statistics to the point where he's not even providing much competition for playing time alongside players just as young and inexperienced - understandably sucks a lot of the compassion out of Maybin's story (aside from the death of his son, of course). Our question for you this morning: knowing that he's under contract for at least three more seasons, would 2011 be too soon to give up on the Maybin project?"

That’s horrible news about Maybin’s son. I’m sure that played a huge factor with Maybin last year as part of his mental focus and preparation for the games. Losing someone very close to you, takes a lot out of you for a long time.

IMO, with a beefed up front 7 (on defense), and with the opposing offense double-teaming guys like Kyle Willams and Marcell Dareus, this could give Maybin a clear shot at the QB. With Maybin’s speed, he would be able to close in on the QB very quickly. While Maybin does appear to be a bust at the moment, I do hope he improves and can be effective, otherwise he would just be another wasted 1st round draft pick. Maybin has the physical talent, but he really needs to develop as a player, hopefully Dave Wannstedt will help him develop.

As someone who has been very critical of the unispiring on-field efforts of Maybin, what is always important to remember about all of the playes in the league is that they are just as human as any of us. To lose a child is a terrible tragedy and impacts every parent differently but there is no doubt that any parent would lose a little of themselves when they lose a child.

Unfortunately, I do not think that he has the football skills neither physical nor mental to produce at the NFL level. If he had some ability to play at an NFL level especially when considering the speed we have heard about since before he was drafted then I would have thought he'd have found a place on the kick-off and punt defense teams at the very least. The fact that he can't even get on the field in those situations along with Gailey's comments about him can only lead us to think that Aaron had better have saved the money from this contract because it may be his only big time pay check for his life.

That being said ... maybe he can be a situationaly pass rusher with Dareus, Kyle, and crew this year coming in on third and long. The o-line may have its work cut out with our other guys allowing Maybe to use his one move and speed to get at the QB. That would be great news ... I would have no problem to having been proven wrong about this kid (and he is still young).

Dadankadonk, you need to do a little more research before comparing maybin to hali

Hali had 15.5 sacks in his first two years and his game was power not a first step

Fair enough. You got me. My recollection was he was a big disappointment his first several years and then played well last year. I got suckered by the Penn State connection.

Didn't Gailey's quotes from March not question his work ethic, but instead his ability:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27217/gailey-calls-out-first-rounder-aaron-maybin

It's definitely a talent issue first and foremost. But consider the case of Cameron Wake vs. Maybin.

Both angular, long limbed, undersized fomer Penn State DE's from the Maryland/DC area. They have similar athletic traits, though Wake had better track numbers.

Both did very little in their careers at Penn State, though Maybin did have a productive 7-8 game run which certainly gave people the wrong impression about his skill set.

Maybin was a high first round pick. Wake went undrafted despite running in the 4.5 range at the combine and posting a 45" vertical leap.

Both were utterly useless initially. Wake was cut in his first camp by the Giants.

Wake was out of football and had to settle for a roster shot with the BC Lions of the CFL and thru his struggles learned in his words "toughness, versatility and want-to".

What is keeping Maybin from making ANY impact in the NFL?

"Toughness, versatility and want-to".

Sometimes we gloss over what players say about what they have done to succeed. But when you consider the case of these two similar players.....it's easy to see that Wake gets exactly what Maybin doesn't get.

Maybin can talk all he wants about his core strength training and yoga schedule. That's only a part of the equation. To make it in the NFL you need to be a competitive SOB. A guy like Wake brings the fight to his opponent. Maybin gets it brought to him, flails around and IMO, lies to himself that he is giving full effort.

Specific example:

Last season against Pittsburgh Maybin got a few rare snaps. On one play he rushed in from LDE, barely missed getting to Roethlisberger and fell to the ground allowing the OT to fall on top of him. Instead of battling to get back up, he lay there motionless under the OT for about 3 seconds while Roethlisberger scanned the field just feet away from Maybin's listless, pancaked body.

He stopped competing.

Finally he realized that the play was still alive, scrambled up and chased Roethlisberger 20 yards downfield, losing ground to the less than svelte 260 pound QB with every step.

Point being he is not talented enough to not compete on the field.

If you doubt my take, then ask yourselves why he can't even play special teams. He is not tough and doesn't have the want-to. Special teams is all about toughness and want-to. So as a result, he lacks the second aspect of Wake's success, VERSATILITY.

Why does he not have that competitiveness? Well maybe it's just not in him. That's why you don't reach for guys with modest athletic traits, like a 4.88 40 time. You take those guys late and hope the competitiveness rises to the surface.

Or maybe he just got the riches handed to him and can't find that motivation as a result.

Or maybe, and this is a REAL possibility when you read his perculiar self assessments..........he just doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that what he thinks is 100% effort is not that at all. Kind of like the person who thinks that putting in 40 hours per week at a job constitutes giving it your all, when in fact working smarter and harder are both possibilities.

Wow to you "mr. Maybin faced hardships"

Lets go sign everyone who had off the field difficulties and give them another shot to redeem themselves by playing for the bills.

Qb - vince young- tried to kill himself

Wr- matt jones- drug problem

Qb- chris simms- guts blew up

I feel bad for these guys and maybin so lets

Build a team around them

God only knows the rest of us have never had to go to work after dealing with hardships. We just show up and watched everybody else work.... Right?

Edited by Defend Greece

Its not as simple as bust vs not bust. The Bills defense has had virtually NO pass rushing scheme since Maybin has been here. I understand Maybin has done nothing to get to the QB, but who has on this team? Guys like Cameron Wake see success, and change their careers around because of the scheme and situations they are put in as well as the talent around them. I am hoping that between Wannstedt & Merriman coaching him up and Dareus & Kyle Williams up front holding down the line that Maybin really shines. Its either now or never, but I definitely havent given up on him yet. If the guy has any talent at all we will definitely find out this year. If not then we definitely gave it enough time, and brought in the right people to help him have a chance and we can move on with a clear head

Edited by coseybedaman

It's definitely a talent issue first and foremost. But consider the case of Cameron Wake vs. Maybin.

Both angular, long limbed, undersized fomer Penn State DE's from the Maryland/DC area. They have similar athletic traits, though Wake had better track numbers.

Both did very little in their careers at Penn State, though Maybin did have a productive 7-8 game run which certainly gave people the wrong impression about his skill set.

Maybin was a high first round pick. Wake went undrafted despite running in the 4.5 range at the combine and posting a 45" vertical leap.

Both were utterly useless initially. Wake was cut in his first camp by the Giants.

Wake was out of football and had to settle for a roster shot with the BC Lions of the CFL and thru his struggles learned in his words "toughness, versatility and want-to".

What is keeping Maybin from making ANY impact in the NFL?

"Toughness, versatility and want-to".

Sometimes we gloss over what players say about what they have done to succeed. But when you consider the case of these two similar players.....it's easy to see that Wake gets exactly what Maybin doesn't get.

Maybin can talk all he wants about his core strength training and yoga schedule. That's only a part of the equation. To make it in the NFL you need to be a competitive SOB. A guy like Wake brings the fight to his opponent. Maybin gets it brought to him, flails around and IMO, lies to himself that he is giving full effort.

Specific example:

Last season against Pittsburgh Maybin got a few rare snaps. On one play he rushed in from LDE, barely missed getting to Roethlisberger and fell to the ground allowing the OT to fall on top of him. Instead of battling to get back up, he lay there motionless under the OT for about 3 seconds while Roethlisberger scanned the field just feet away from Maybin's listless, pancaked body.

He stopped competing.

Finally he realized that the play was still alive, scrambled up and chased Roethlisberger 20 yards downfield, losing ground to the less than svelte 260 pound QB with every step.

Point being he is not talented enough to not compete on the field.

If you doubt my take, then ask yourselves why he can't even play special teams. He is not tough and doesn't have the want-to. Special teams is all about toughness and want-to. So as a result, he lacks the second aspect of Wake's success, VERSATILITY.

Why does he not have that competitiveness? Well maybe it's just not in him. That's why you don't reach for guys with modest athletic traits, like a 4.88 40 time. You take those guys late and hope the competitiveness rises to the surface.

Or maybe he just got the riches handed to him and can't find that motivation as a result.

Or maybe, and this is a REAL possibility when you read his perculiar self assessments..........he just doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that what he thinks is 100% effort is not that at all. Kind of like the person who thinks that putting in 40 hours per week at a job constitutes giving it your all, when in fact working smarter and harder are both possibilities.

Very insightful post. It never would have occurred to me to put Wake and Maybin in the same sentence but I think you make a good case that the comparisons between Wake and Maybin are valid.

GO BILLS!!!

from Rotoworld

Bills OLB Aaron Maybin reportedly showed up to player-organized workouts looking "like a wide receiver."

Maybin's inability to keep weight on isn't new, and it doesn't appear he's fixed the problem in his third NFL offseason. The Bills are moving forward with Arthur Moats and Danny Batten behind Shawne Merriman and Chris Kelsay. A team that liked Maybin before the 2009 draft may offer Buffalo a late-round pick for him this fall. With the Bills, he would struggle to make the roster.

Can he play TE?

He can't play LB or DE, or really football in any capacity what so ever. I doubt switching position let alone sides of the football is going to somehow help him. I'm not sure if I can ever remember a draft pick, let alone a first rounder, so terrible at his job. He should be cut and anyone that had anything to do with him drafted should be banned from the NFL permanently.

He can't play LB or DE, or really football in any capacity what so ever. I doubt switching position let alone sides of the football is going to somehow help him. I'm not sure if I can ever remember a draft pick, let alone a first rounder, so terrible at his job. He should be cut and anyone that had anything to do with him drafted should be banned from the NFL permanently.

ok