ESPN Expert (NOT) Picks

BB27

Yankee Candle wouldn't pony up the $$$$ for naming rights.  Monster Cable did.

Wasn't Ralph among the first to seel naming rights to a stadium?

164121[/snapback]

No actually it was the Government. I think it was Erie County. Ralph got no money from it, and was not happy with the Rich stadium name

No actually it was the Government. I think it was Erie County. Ralph got no money from it, and was not happy with the Rich stadium name

164597[/snapback]

Yup, and it was the first...

The first corporate naming rights agreement of the modern era was completed in 1973 (Friedman, 1997). This was a sponsorship agreement between the County of Erie, NY and Rich Products Corporation, for the then new home of the Buffalo Bills. The Rich Corporation agreed to pay $1.5 million over 25 years to have the stadium named Rich Stadium.

Apparently the first existing stadium to be renamed for $$$ didn't happen until 1987.

That's a great tool you have there GG.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/1998/cj...rthyirwin23.htm

Yup, and it was the first...

The first corporate naming rights agreement of the modern era was completed in 1973 (Friedman, 1997). This was a sponsorship agreement between the County of Erie, NY and Rich Products Corporation, for the then new home of the Buffalo Bills. The Rich Corporation agreed to pay $1.5 million over 25 years to have the stadium named Rich Stadium.

Apparently the first existing stadium to be renamed for $$$ didn't happen until 1987.

That's a great tool you have there GG.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/1998/cj...rthyirwin23.htm

164604[/snapback]

Wasn't Schaefer stadium in New England named before Rich?

if so, that would make it the first.

Wasn't Schaefer stadium in New England named before Rich?

if so, that would make it the first.

164715[/snapback]

sonuvagun, you're right. Did I say first? I meant one of the first.

They paid $1.5M as well...

Lincoln Kennedy on NFL Network already has picked the Bungles (even to win out).

He also reckoned the Bills would wind up 1-2 over the next three, only win @ Moster Park... is that the dumbest stadium name or what? What was ever wrong with Candlestick?

164117[/snapback]

Corporate greed rules the landscape, Nick. At least here in the states it does. Most Americans don't care either. :o