More cool pics from back in the day

HopsGuy

It's weird how to my eyes looking at pictures of people from long ago in color makes them look more like modern people. Almost like they're just actors in a movie rather than the stoic iconic people that I see in old black and white photos.

It's weird how to my eyes looking at pictures of people from long ago in color makes them look more like modern people. Almost like they're just actors in a movie rather than the stoic iconic people that I see in old black and white photos.

I was trying to figure out why the pics looked strange to me and I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for posting them Hops!

Color is more natural and it's what our brain expects to see.

Black and white is an abstraction, which is why artists sometimes use it. It's a distancing mechanism.

Back in the day B&W was the norm. Color photography was in its infancy, not widely used, and quite expensive.

Edited by Nanker

Kodachrome

You give us those nice bright colors

You give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew

When I was single

And brought them all together for one night

I know they'd never match

My sweet imagination

And everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome

You give us those nice bright colors

You give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Color is more natural and it's what our brain expects to see.

Black and white is an abstraction, which is why artists sometimes use it. It's a distancing mechanism.

Back in the day B&W was the norm. Color photography was in its infancy, not widely used, and quite expensive.

I was reading soomewhere that color film went back even further than the 1930's... Actually, 1910's...

??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Cool pics. I'm always fascinated by old pictures, especially the one's taken during the civil war. Neat to see these in color....when old buildings are actually new. People back then don't look much different of course, but they do look a bit older than they are. Life was rough for many.

Cool pics. I'm always fascinated by old pictures, especially the one's taken during the civil war. Neat to see these in color....when old buildings are actually new. People back then don't look much different of course, but they do look a bit older than they are. Life was rough for many.

Today's society puts emphasis on youth. I take it was different years ago... People would want to look older... Then mix in your reply about working harder... Also, health care is better today and of course we in this country don't do as much manual labor anymore.