Hot for Teacher

Our understanding at this point is at least one of the encounters involved all five boys in the same time period but there were other times when it was one student with the teacher,” said Richard.

Gang bang?

My son is 18, he is in a program to complete his g.e.d. Because a traditional high school program wasn't working for him and many others. He is far from "dumb". He just needed an alternative to help him succeed.

This is a high school? And, all the kids were 18 and 19? Was this a high school for dumb kids who can't graduate on time?

This is a high school? And, all the kids were 18 and 19? Was this a high school for dumb kids who can't graduate on time?

It was in Texas... so yes.

In all fairness, there 18 and 19 year olds in every high school.

It was in Texas... so yes.

In all fairness, there 18 and 19 year olds in every high school.

I guess I'm just old and went to a Catholic school. We didn't have any 19 year olds that I remember. And, by May, you would think that less than half of the seniors would be 18.

But, she went 5 for 5, so either she was purposely looking for those of legal age, or it is quite a coincidence. Or, this is some special school.

I guess I'm just old and went to a Catholic school. We didn't have any 19 year olds that I remember. And, by May, you would think that less than half of the seniors would be 18.

But, she went 5 for 5, so either she was purposely looking for those of legal age, or it is quite a coincidence. Or, this is some special school.

A lot of parents seem to be holding their children back more. In my daughters class, over half have birthdays in the summer BEFORE school and BEFORE the Sept. 1 cutoff. Years ago in WNY, wasn't it Nov. 1?

A lot of parents seem to be holding their children back more. In my daughters class, over half have birthdays in the summer BEFORE school and BEFORE the Sept. 1 cutoff. Years ago in WNY, wasn't it Nov. 1?

I think it's just me being old, like I thought. I have a friend or two who held back their kid and then they would have been in this age range as seniors.

As for how it used to be in WNY, the cutoff was 12/31. My friend was born on Christmas Day, and he really should have been held back because he was a very late bloomer. He was way shorter than everybody else.

I think it's just me being old, like I thought. I have a friend or two who held back their kid and then they would have been in this age range as seniors.

As for how it used to be in WNY, the cutoff was 12/31. My friend was born on Christmas Day, and he really should have been held back because he was a very late bloomer. He was way shorter than everybody else.

Wow... So he started K as a four year old... My brother was born in October and started K (in Sept) as a 4 year old way back in the day... My mother wishes she would have held him...

Used to be Dec. 1, when I started kindergarten (I had to take a battery of tests to be allowed to start early). So a little more than half my HS graduating class was 18 when senior year started.

Used to be Dec. 1, when I started kindergarten (I had to take a battery of tests to be allowed to start early). So a little more than half my HS graduating class was 18 when senior year started.

So that means parents were holding their children back (at least at your school... You were in the NorthTowns right?) a year when they could have made the cutoff back then? That would have been 1973-1974, right? I didn't think the shift in parent's thinking seriously about holding their children back started until at least well into the '80s. Before that, they erred on pushing children too fast (@ 4 near the cutoff). That shift in thinking must have started earlier... Like I said, my brother was born in '64 and and my parents regretted starting him with an Oct. birthday. It isn't that they can't handle the material in the end, it is just they get off to a slower start and get behind the "eight-ball." On the other hand... Classes can't have too many children starting later, then the children get bored and the other side (younger ones) MAY suffer. Anyway, it is a balancing act. The cut-off seems about right at Sept 1st. Then again my niece missed the cut-off by about 15 days (in VT)... A few years later she was actually bumped UP a grade... Which helped her from being "bored" with the easy work. Of course, I think they tested her first.

On another note... With the reference you made, one of the reasons for raising the drinking age back to 21. And of course that was right about the time we were graduating (1986, 1987ish)...:angry: Thank God there was Ontario (@19) closeby! :beer: