Obama: Companies need to "step up" and hire workers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now the bailouts WERENT Bush's idea?

Not to the unions.

Hell, not even to the banks, really. The original bailout plan was to maintain liquidity in the capital markets...which still would have had the banks suffering greatly.

Not to the unions.

Hell, not even to the banks, really. The original bailout plan was to maintain liquidity in the capital markets...which still would have had the banks suffering greatly.

So is there proof or just speculation that Obama did this (GM) to help out his campaign contributors? OR was it to simply protect major part of the American Auto Industry.

So is there proof or just speculation that Obama did this (GM) to help out his campaign contributors? OR was it to simply protect major part of the American Auto Industry.

You do understand that he STOLE the senior rights of the creditors and gave those rights to the union, don't you? And in doing so, violated several hundred years of contract law and precedents, causing significant damage to the corporate debt market in making the costs of borrowing higher (because really, who wants to lend money knowing that the government can arbitrarily decide you have no expectation of being paid back?)

I don't know if it was to help his contributors or what. Nor do I care. He !@#$ed over GM's creditors by executive fiat without even a hint of a nod to anything resembling due process, and promoted a junior interest (by about eight levels of seniority) over theirs. You have to be completely ignorant of the way business works to think that was even remotely a good idea.

The workers of GM, the workers of the supply companies and so on and so on and so on. Not a bad thing at all.

It's sad.

I really shouldn't be amazed at the level of your stupidity any longer.

But here we are...

HAHAHAHA... man I guess they shouldn't have done those other spending sprees to those non-union supporters on Wall Street right. Fact is that GM is paying off. Face it Republicans have only used "jobs" as a keyword. Bigger concerns...union busting, abortion, medicare/medicaid voucher system and protecting the low tax rates of the wealthy

UNION BUSTING!!! KOCH BROTHERS!!! KILL GRANDMA!! STARVE KIDS!! DEFAULT ON DEBT!! MOATS AND ALLIGATORS!!

I swear, you are predictably pathetic.

And if you genuinely believe that GM is in a better place right now, you're even more stupid than everyone here believes.

You do understand that he STOLE the senior rights of the creditors and gave those rights to the union, don't you? And in doing so, violated several hundred years of contract law and precedents, causing significant damage to the corporate debt market in making the costs of borrowing higher (because really, who wants to lend money knowing that the government can arbitrarily decide you have no expectation of being paid back?)

I don't know if it was to help his contributors or what. Nor do I care. He !@#$ed over GM's creditors by executive fiat without even a hint of a nod to anything resembling due process, and promoted a junior interest (by about eight levels of seniority) over theirs. You have to be completely ignorant of the way business works to think that was even remotely a good idea.

Granted the Governments bailout of GM forced the bondholders to take much less on their investment. However, that bold move also saved thousands and thousands of jobs and a great American company. I'm sure investors will be fine in the long run with GM beating estimates... sales being up 25% this year.

UNION BUSTING!!! KOCH BROTHERS!!! KILL GRANDMA!! STARVE KIDS!! DEFAULT ON DEBT!! MOATS AND ALLIGATORS!!

I swear, you are predictably pathetic.

And if you genuinely believe that GM is in a better place right now, you're even more stupid than everyone here believes.

Wow, you seriously need to get laid. Either that or you are just one up tight mother!@#$er. I'm sure you have a basement full of bottled water and guns just in the case the end of the world is near OR in case Democrats take control of DC again. All of which is stockpiled next to your Reagan and Glen Beck posters. I know all union people and democrats are fools and only you and your ilk know the way. HAHAHAHA!!!

• Republican run states removing Collective Bargaining Rights is an attempt at union busting. Smart plan by the way, take on many states at the same time hoping that the unions won't be able to handle the fight.
  • Koch Brothers.. I laugh at this one as well... it's not ok for unions to support Pro-Labor Movement Politicians. The old "supporting those at the bargaining table" nonsense. Yet, with the hypocrites like yourself.. it's ok for the Koch Brothers to throw millions at elections all across the United States.
  • Default on Debt... anyone with half a brain knows the United States should raise the debt ceiling AND cut spending. Fact of the matter is that spending should be cut everywhere.. even in defense and they should not be shy on altering tax rates.
  • Alligators... one must be up your ass.

Read this:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jun/13/gm-plan-really-uaw-bailout/

Union pension fund bailout was what it was.

Let me ask you this... so you would have rather have GM go into bankruptcy which in turn would have forced thousands of workers to the unemployment line. Not from just GM, but their suppliers, etc., etc. I know that the investors were hurt big time with the bailout, I am sure that over time they will be completely fine. Again, GM is moving back up.

Wow, you seriously need to get laid. Either that or you are just one up tight mother!@#$er. I'm sure you have a basement full of bottled water and guns just in the case the end of the world is near OR in case Democrats take control of DC again. All of which is stockpiled next to your Reagan and Glen Beck posters. I know all union people and democrats are fools and only you and your ilk know the way. HAHAHAHA!!!

• Republican run states removing Collective Bargaining Rights is an attempt at union busting. Smart plan by the way, take on many states at the same time hoping that the unions won't be able to handle the fight.
  • Koch Brothers.. I laugh at this one as well... it's not ok for unions to support Pro-Labor Movement Politicians. The old "supporting those at the bargaining table" nonsense. Yet, with the hypocrites like yourself.. it's ok for the Koch Brothers to throw millions at elections all across the United States.
  • Default on Debt... anyone with half a brain knows the United States should raise the debt ceiling AND cut spending. Fact of the matter is that spending should be cut everywhere.. even in defense and they should not be shy on altering tax rates.
  • Alligators... one must be up your ass.

Let me ask you this... so you would have rather have GM go into bankruptcy which in turn would have forced thousands of workers to the unemployment line. Not from just GM, but their suppliers, etc., etc. I know that the investors were hurt big time with the bailout, I am sure that over time they will be completely fine. Again, GM is moving back up.

Yes, I would rather have seen GM go through Chapter 11 and creditors paid back as per precedent and law. Why would Chapter 11 force thousands of workers to the unemployment line?

Over time they will be completely fine? That's because they are investors, right? Did you read the article?

Simply put, anyone who says companies need to "step up" and hire workers is either a goddamn moron or a charlatan. Any CEO who hires people not for business need, but rather as part of his civic duty to "step up" should be relieved of duty immediately.

Yes, I would rather have seen GM go through Chapter 11 and creditors paid back as per precedent and law. Why would Chapter 11 force thousands of workers to the unemployment line?

Over time they will be completely fine? That's because they are investors, right? Did you read the article?

yes, I read the article. I have also read many articles stating that the investors will be fine as sales go up and the company gets stronger.

Simply put, anyone who says companies need to "step up" and hire workers is either a goddamn moron or a charlatan. Any CEO who hires people not for business need, but rather as part of his civic duty to "step up" should be relieved of duty immediately.

Any company who received bail out money should be hiring as soon as they are in the black if the need is there.

Granted the Governments bailout of GM forced the bondholders to take much less on their investment. However, that bold move also saved thousands and thousands of jobs and a great American company. I'm sure investors will be fine in the long run with GM beating estimates... sales being up 25% this year.

No, the government forced the bondholders to forgive their loans, and promted significantly junior interests over theirs, and did so illegally, and by executive fiat.

What you're basically saying is that the hell with the rule of law, you're fine with a dictatorship (and that's a completely accurate characterization - the White House's decision to !@#$ over the bond holders was entirely dictatorial), because the ends justifies the means. :wallbash:

yes, I read the article. I have also read many articles stating that the investors will be fine as sales go up and the company gets stronger.

And who are those investors? The people the government decided had a right to ownership. Not the people who actually bought into GM...but the people that the government made a completely arbitrary and extra-legal decision to GIVE the company to.

Any company who received bail out money should be hiring as soon as they are in the black if the need is there.

:lol: "Any company should act like a corporation." You really are an idiot.

:lol: "Any company should act like a corporation." You really are an idiot.

Tom, not sure I follow what you dont like about that statement. There are a number of companies that do need to hire more people, but simply arent, as they got used to functioning on a skeleton crew. If a company got federal bailout money, and if they are doing better, and the need is there, they should be hiring people. But they arent. That's part of the problem. No?

Tom, not sure I follow what you dont like about that statement. There are a number of companies that do need to hire more people, but simply arent, as they got used to functioning on a skeleton crew. If a company got federal bailout money, and if they are doing better, and the need is there, they should be hiring people. But they arent. That's part of the problem. No?

If they're functioning with the staff they have, then why do they need to hire?

They need to hire but they aren't hiring? Define need.