*LAMP* Awesome Commercial

ajzepp

I saw this commercial for the first time today and it really reminded me how proud I am to work in the medical field as an RN. It's really been great to see more and more males entering the profession over the last ten years since I graduated, too.

It's an amazing feeling to know that you work in a profession where you literally impact peoples' lives. I have had the privilege of having been directly responsible for saving a life as a first responder, in addition to helping save many others through the efforts of myself and my coworkers.

There are times when the stress and challenges of the job - particularly in an acute care hospital setting - can really be overwhelming, but it's one of the most rewarding careers you can have, IMO.

If you guys know anyone who is looking for a career path, or someone interested in training for a second career, let me know if I can help with any questions or concerns.

a friend of mine is a male nurse...he 'affectionately' refers to himself as a 'ballwasher', of course there is waaaaay more to being a nurse than the drudgery that everyone has to put up in a job, but you are right, nurses are the liason between the scared patient and the (more often than not) impersonal doctor....

I saw this commercial for the first time today and it really reminded me how proud I am to work in the medical field as an RN. It's really been great to see more and more males entering the profession over the last ten years since I graduated, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=2PVeOq60GcA

It's an amazing feeling to know that you work in a profession where you literally impact peoples' lives. I have had the privilege of having been directly responsible for saving a life as a first responder, in addition to helping save many others through the efforts of myself and my coworkers.

There are times when the stress and challenges of the job - particularly in an acute care hospital setting - can really be overwhelming, but it's one of the most rewarding careers you can have, IMO.

If you guys know anyone who is looking for a career path, or someone interested in training for a second career, let me know if I can help with any questions or concerns.

I hate needles...

a friend of mine is a male nurse...he 'affectionately' refers to himself as a 'ballwasher', of course there is waaaaay more to being a nurse than the drudgery that everyone has to put up in a job, but you are right, nurses are the liason between the scared patient and the (more often than not) impersonal doctor....

When I was in the hospital, I always enjoyed working the evening (7p-7a) shift. Things have calmed down, the docs have all gone home, and you get to spend more time connecting with the patients. It's also a lot more pressure when a patient codes, cause a lot more responsibility is on your shoulders, but I enjoy that aspect of it.

There are docs who literally don't even see the patients when they do rounds...they just check labs, write new orders, and leave. So you're exactly right about the impersonal thing...happens all the time.

I hate needles...

Me too lol. I can get blood from a turnip when it comes to sticking others, but I have ended up nearly passed out more than once when I've been stuck myself :lol:

Big time thanks to you and all the nurses.

However....

You say you like the 7-7AM shift? So does that mean you're are the one I'd like to kick in the balls for waking me up every two hours when I'm in the hospital.

WHAT THE !@#$ IS UP WITH THAT?????????????????

Again, thanks for the nurses. I remember nurses night in downtown Buffalo at the Bar called the Lockeroom. Thoses female nurses really knew how to take care of the twig and berries.

Good Times.

When I was in the hospital, I always enjoyed working the evening (7p-7a) shift.

Heh, when my wife had to have surgery a few years ago, I had to use my power of persuasion on the nurses on that shift to allow me to stay overnight. Normally they kick everyone out at 9pm, but I convinced them to let me stay; they even gave me the door code to some sort of lounge and gave me a pillow and blanket to bring with me. :D

Big time thanks to you and all the nurses.

However....

You say you like the 7-7AM shift? So does that mean you're are the one I'd like to kick in the balls for waking me up every two hours when I'm in the hospital.

WHAT THE !@#$ IS UP WITH THAT?????????????????

Again, thanks for the nurses. I remember nurses night in downtown Buffalo at the Bar called the Lockeroom. Thoses female nurses really knew how to take care of the twig and berries.

Good Times.

:lol:

If I had a dime for every time I had to have the "insurance companies don't pay for you to sleep" conversation with a patient, I'd be rich! lol It would seem counter-intuitive to not be advocating for sleep among the patients during their hospital stay, but even in the ICU quality sleep is often not a primary focus. The whole goal is to stabilize you, get your discharge plan in order, and get you the F out :w00t:

Heh, when my wife had to have surgery a few years ago, I had to use my power of persuasion on the nurses on that shift to allow me to stay overnight. Normally they kick everyone out at 9pm, but I convinced them to let me stay; they even gave me the door code to some sort of lounge and gave me a pillow and blanket to bring with me. :D

I know at my former hospital where I was a supervisor, we pretty much had the flexibility to allow family to stay with loved ones during the night. We'd set off an announcement over the PA system at 8pm telling people to get the hell out, but I'd make exceptions when I knew it wouldn't be a problem. The fly in the ointment is when you have semi-private rooms. Those were the bane of my existence... It's so hypocritical how we go to such great lengths to protect patients confidentiality and HIPAA and all that, yet we can still allow some stranger in the next bed access to all their neighbors private information. All rooms should be private. It's a customer service nightmare trying to manage semis, particularly at night. We'd often have the idiots in pre-op/admissions "assuring" patients they'd have a private bed. So they'd come up from the ER or surgery, realize they were assigned to a semi-private, and then literally protest to the point where they would not allow us to roll the stretcher into the room. They'd insist on staying in the hallway until they got their private room lol. I'm totally on their side, but unfortunately it was out of my control.

Are you a pothead, Focker?

lol, I hate to admit this, but you'd be surprised how many nurses indulge in the weedage. The job is more stressful now than it's ever been, and I see a growing issue with nurses and the bottle, the weed, and the pills. It's very rare that anyone be under the influence while on the job (and it's something we look for very carefully), but outside of work it's very common for medical folks to be chemically de-stressing.

:lol:

If I had a dime for every time I had to have the "insurance companies don't pay for you to sleep" conversation with a patient, I'd be rich! lol It would seem counter-intuitive to not be advocating for sleep among the patients during their hospital stay, but even in the ICU quality sleep is often not a primary focus. The whole goal is to stabilize you, get your discharge plan in order, and get you the F out :w00t:

I know at my former hospital where I was a supervisor, we pretty much had the flexibility to allow family to stay with loved ones during the night. We'd set off an announcement over the PA system at 8pm telling people to get the hell out, but I'd make exceptions when I knew it wouldn't be a problem. The fly in the ointment is when you have semi-private rooms. Those were the bane of my existence... It's so hypocritical how we go to such great lengths to protect patients confidentiality and HIPAA and all that, yet we can still allow some stranger in the next bed access to all their neighbors private information. All rooms should be private. It's a customer service nightmare trying to manage semis, particularly at night. We'd often have the idiots in pre-op/admissions "assuring" patients they'd have a private bed. So they'd come up from the ER or surgery, realize they were assigned to a semi-private, and then literally protest to the point where they would not allow us to roll the stretcher into the room. They'd insist on staying in the hallway until they got their private room lol. I'm totally on their side, but unfortunately it was out of my control.

Actually my only good memory of a hospital was when I pleaded with my parents to move me out of a private room at Buffalo Children's. I had had orthopedic surgery and was stuck there for a couple of days (yeah back then they did not do drive through surgery). They took me to a rooms with 5 other kids and we watched OJ get 2003 against the Jets. We were all yelling and carrying on. It was the best pain medication I could have gotten at the time.

Actually my only good memory of a hospital was when I pleaded with my parents to move me out of a private room at Buffalo Children's. I had had orthopedic surgery and was stuck there for a couple of days (yeah back then they did not do drive through surgery). They took me to a rooms with 5 other kids and we watched OJ get 2003 against the Jets. We were all yelling and carrying on. It was the best pain medication I could have gotten at the time.

Interesting...I wonder if it's different with pediatrics now that you say that. I don't have much experience at all with children, but it would make more sense that they'd prefer to be around other kids, whereas adults feel the opposite.

Sounds like a great memory!

Interesting...I wonder if it's different with pediatrics now that you say that. I don't have much experience at all with children, but it would make more sense that they'd prefer to be around other kids, whereas adults feel the opposite.

For me it was more fun than just sitting around with Mm, Dad, the grandparents or other family. Especially to watch the game (on a little grainy black and white no less). I've only been in the hospital one - overnight - as an adult patient and yeah i would agee the situation is much different. I agree with Etheryned that the B word is that they let you get no rest. I was very happy to get the heck out of there. Ask my wife - I was an a-hole about pushing them to release me. I even threatened to take my own IV out and to leave. I hated it that much.

Ask my wife - I was an a-hole about pushing them to release me. I even threatened to take my own IV out and to leave. I hated it that much.

And AJ is saying, "Oh, so you're one of THOSE patients..." :D

LOL!

It's not easy being in the hospital for a lot of folks, I definitely understand that...and yeah, I did spend a lot of time trying to help folks hold on just a bit longer, cause docs really don't like it when people leave against medical advice (AMA). It's funny, cause a lot of patients are under the misconception that we want to keep them there as long as possible. Nothing could be further from the truth. The longer they're there, the less money the hospital makes, so we're under a LOT of pressure to focus on throughput and bed turnover. Yet another one of the wonderful things that adds to the stress of the job lol.

For me it was more fun than just sitting around with Mm, Dad, the grandparents or other family. Especially to watch the game (on a little grainy black and white no less). I've only been in the hospital one - overnight - as an adult patient and yeah i would agee the situation is much different. I agree with Etheryned that the B word is that they let you get no rest. I was very happy to get the heck out of there. Ask my wife - I was an a-hole about pushing them to release me. I even threatened to take my own IV out and to leave. I hated it that much.

I don't blame you for hating it, I really don't lol

Me too lol. I can get blood from a turnip when it comes to sticking others, but I have ended up nearly passed out more than once when I've been stuck myself :lol:

I have no problem with needles. I actually like to watch them jam it in my vein. :devil:

I have no problem with needles. I actually like to watch them jam it in my vein. :devil:

Hopefully they aren't doing TOO much "jamming" lol

I broke my femur when I was 17, so after my surgery they put me in pediatrics. I could have sworn I was on the set of an all-female Grey's Anatomy. All of the nurses I saw had to be 30 or so (and some of them were hot! :thumbsup: ). They were all rather good. I don't share the complaint Eryn had, I was waking up all through the night anyway.

Side note: my roommate was a baby :lol: Quiet guy though. Once I was able to get around with a walker I'd go over and watch him play with whatever he had in his enclosed crib-like thing.

Actually when I was in as a kid the only "scary" part of the whole stay was when I had to be shaved near my "manhood." Keep in mind I was an 8 year old kid so why they thought there was any hair in that region is beyond me. Anyway this very large African American nurse (assistant?) comes in with a razor and pulls my underwear off ..... I was truly terrified ... :lol:

I am happy to report that I survived with all the equipment still intact.

AJ just so you know when I talked about leaving as an adult it was not against advice. I was released but due to a some paperwork snafu I had to wait and wait and wait. I finally got to the point of saying f this. If my wife had not been there I would have walked out. I'm in the same camp as Chef in that needles don't bother me. I had no issue with the idea of pulling the IV. My poor wife was freaked out by the whole thing. I ultimately listened to her and waited for the nurses to release me properly but I bet they were happy to see me go.

I really do appreciate nurses. There were several who deserved sainting when my mother in law was going through her final weeks.

If my wife had not been there I would have walked out. I'm in the same camp as Chef in that needles don't bother me. I had no issue with the idea of pulling the IV.

I actually did walk out of the doctor's office once. I was in for a physical and they went to draw blood. First attempt, the vial didn't fill up all the way. The nurse apologized and tried again. Same thing happened. She apologized again, said, "This will be the last time, I promise," and jabbed me a 3rd time. Keep in mind that I *HATE* needles... Again, the vial only filled about halfway. "That's weird, let me try something different." As soon as she said that, I stood up and started walking out. She looked shocked and asked what I was doing. I told her, "You said that was the last time, so I'm leaving." :lol: